Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UV Index In Australia....How Much Of A Problem Is It??

Options
  • 19-12-2011 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm deciding at the moment what clothes equipment to bring with me as I head to Australia next month (for the first time!) and sun protection, until I was on weatherzone and saw this for a 7 day forecast of Adelaide about UV Index:

19th - Extreme
    20th - Extreme
    21st - Extreme
    22nd - Extreme
    23rd - Extreme
    24th - Extreme
    25th - Extreme

Then when I looked up "Extreme" (I'll admit I know nothing about the UV Index) I found this:

http://www.theozonehole.com/uvindex.htm

"Very High - In addition to the precautions recommended above, it is advised to stay indoors if possible."

"When the UV index is over 9, UV-B is extremely strong, and you will burn in less than 15 minutes."

Right, the only "hot" countries I've ever been to in my life are southern european countries in our summers. But I'm told the ozone layer is weaker in the southern hemisphere, so the uv index is much higher and this is therefore normal for all Australia.

Since I'm tourist I'm planning to be out all day if possible (I'm not hanging around my hotel) so I'm just wondering how dangerous that is, some say wearing factor 30+ might not be enough??

It also says I need to cover up clothes wise, I was planning on bringing shorts and tshirts or is that not advised also in these conditions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

If you take the right precautions youll be fine. The extreme rating usually only lasts for a couple of hours, generally between 1-3pm ish. When it's that high it's best to avoid spending any prolonged period in direct sun as exposed skin will start to burn in a few minutes.

I burn really easily but since a close family member got skin cancer I have been a lot more careful. I use a phone app to keep an eye on uv rating and cover up appropriately. When UV is extreme/v high I always apply factor 30 to exposed skin and wear a hat and try to stay in sun for max of 30-40 mins. I often cycle/run at lunchtime so use sweat restsistant screen then.
    By doing above I have yet to be burned in Oz.

Another thing to remember is that even if it's quite dull and cloudy the UV rating can still be very high so it's worth checking every day if you burn easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Gnobe wrote: »
    Hi all,

Since I'm tourist I'm planning to be out all day if possible (I'm not hanging around my hotel) so I'm just wondering how dangerous that is, some say wearing factor 30+ might not be enough??

It also says I need to cover up clothes wise, I was planning on bringing shorts and tshirts or is that not advised also in these conditions?

Says who who is this some?

Knackers 30+ you should be fine re-apply regularly. Heavy on the nose and mind your lips.

Unless your a Ranga in which case a hooded raincoat might be the Go.

Enjoy Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Get a hat as soon as you get here! Chemists amongst other places, sell the UV protection ones. One of those ones with an all round brim will protect your head, face and neck.

And don't forget your feet, with the factor 30!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

While it may sound over the top....

For sensitive spots, nose/ears/lips/back of knees (hellish) and ankles/feet/toes if you find you burn easy get clear zinc. Slip, slap, slop is the go. If in the water get a rashie. I swim pretty much daily and always wear a rashie. The locals boys I swim and train with wish they had of done it years ago. (especially if you are only here a short while you really should)

Get some cheap and cheerful gear when you get here (sunnies/wide brim hats/ rashies etc) from the cancer council. They do the job for a fraction of the price of the designer gear, are designed and rated for the local conditions and support a great cause. Drink loads of water and I mean loads.

Full length light cotton tops and bottoms are better than becoming a lobster.

(you will notice that the stereotypical bushman/shiela wears a wide brimmed hat, long sleaved shirt and full length trousers not singelet and shorts)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Wear shorts, wear a t-shirt, factor 30 and you will be fine i burn easy as well just reply every few hours or more often to the usual places nose, shoulders etc or when you come out of the water, common sense stuff really, its not the Sahara lol
    The best protection midday is outside a bar by the harbour under an umbrella drinking a beer!
    Get a good pair of sun glasses thats crucial as well and a hat maybe thats up to you.
    The hole in the ozone layer is over antarctica not directly over Oz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement