Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up all night

Options
  • 19-12-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

The boy (5) running a temp of 40 (possible early signs of chickenpox, it's going around in his school) and my daughter decided to wake at 6am to play with Lego for a while.

I think I've gotten my daughter back to sleep at this stage (I gave her a choice of sleep by buggy or sleep in her cot and she curled up under the blankets which is a good sign, I hope). The boy is still quite sick but his temp has come down a bit and seems somewhat more comfortable.

Just thought I'd start a thread as many (all, probably) parents can relate with my night tonight. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Calpol & camomile lotion for kids, sleep when they do (day or night) for you.

Btw, check out the show of the same title. A must for all parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Paralink suppositories are really good for taking down a temp if you can get the little one to let you give them.

I know the feeling, we have three babies with chest infections here... makes for sleepless nights... the eldest was awake complaining of a sore ear last night too so hope it's not an ear infection... she spends the first three years of her life not going to the doctors or getting sick and she starts playschool and gets everything going!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I had that 4 weeks ago, it was Scarlett fever, i was up all night with my lad he only slept from 10 to 12 and stayed up till 7.10 I didnt mind, i had the windows wide open and wet towels on his head and ice packs all over him. Ive never experienced a temperature like it. He was hallucinating and fretting (thankfully he didn't fit) i dosed him on paralink and neurofen, then when i went to the gps i switched to voltarol suppositories and calpol. He watched tv and i read my book. His fever broke on the 4th day. 2 days after the rash appeared.

The Scarlett fever took its toll, he was back at the gps yesterday and his glands are all swollen the gp said they will be for another 3-6 months and that his tongue still showed signs that the Scarlett fever hasn't left him, his glands are swollen as a defence mechanism.

Hope your one pulls out of it quick, last thing you want at xmas is chicken pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i had the windows wide open and wet towels on his head and ice packs all over him. Ive never experienced a temperature like it.

For a fever of only 40??

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

nesf wrote: »
    i had the windows wide open and wet towels on his head and ice packs all over him. Ive never experienced a temperature like it.

For a fever of only 40??

It's called mammying! Had to be done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

nesf wrote: »
    For a fever of only 40??

I didn't have a thermometer when i took him to the gps he was 40 and had paralink, neurofen, ice packs and wet towels on his head, so chances are it was way higher. He just lay there wimpering, I also gave hime iced drinks, I was trying to keep his temperature down as a high temp causes fits. It took 4 days for the fever to break, it was a nightmare, i had no sleep for 6 days because my other lad then got strep throat (like Scarlett fever but with no rash and only a mild temperature, but his sore throat kept him awake at night).

As i said ive never seen a temperature as bad as his. It must have been a bad does for him 4 weeks later and not to have recovered fully.

UnkieKev wrote: »
    It's called mammying! Had to be done!

Pfft. Tough love ftw. :p

La di da, up again. Boy's temp is dropping below 40 a lot of the time now, only spiking above 40 when the Calpol wears off. All good and well, he's getting a much better night's sleep tonight anyway which is more than I can say for myself!

Advertisement