Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids - what's the point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No I think my ma was keen on it from a young age. Shouldn't people have less kids now that we're consuming more and the population i exploding anyway?

Most women here do have less kids because of widely available contraception, the population boom is happening in areas where this is not available so women in Ireland having one child instead of two isn't going to help the cause of that issue.

Anywho your friends wanting children is a different issue to the global population boom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

jester77 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than being a single guy in his mid-30s!

What would be wrong with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

saa wrote: »
    Most women here do have less kids because of widely available contraception, the population boom is happening in areas where this is not available so women in Ireland having one child instead of two isn't going to help the cause of that issue.

Anywho your friends wanting children is a different issue to the global population boom

I don't know, I thought we had the highest birth rate in Europe or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

IYou need to have a child...to see them smile up to you in the morning, put their finger in your nose and fish hook you...

That can be painful, esp if you haven't cut their nails recently. What's also very painful is when they grab you by the ears to give you a kiss.

I have 3 kids, 3 8 and 18, they are bast*ds, they ruin my life, have been since I was a teenager myself.
    I Wouldn't have it any other way.

Besides if I every need a kidney, lung or heart transplant, I know where to find the organs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

What about being a sinle guy in his late 30's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Aha, I see the OP has yet to discover the genius that is Peppa Pig, Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom, Elmo, Humf, Thomas The Tank Engine, and many others....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Abi wrote: »
    It's not only women that get broody either.

Very true.

I want about 50 babies tearing the place up.

One would do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I don't know, I thought we had the highest birth rate in Europe or something

We may be at a similar rate but our population is so miniscule in comparison to such places as South America, Australia, India or Africa..the impact is not the same.
    To keep to the thread what is the point of having kids, what is the point in question, anything can be reduced to being pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The GF gets her kicks by trying to freak me out with the dreams of us having kids and the little tykes running around.................*shudder*

I can barely keep myself alive, let alone a little urchin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you're being put under pressure by your partner to have a baby and you don't want one there's one simple present you can buy that will ensure they delay becoming a parent by a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If you're being put under pressure by your partner to have a baby and you don't want one there's one simple present you can buy that will ensure they delay becoming a parent by a few years.

Well, she's fairly superstitious.

Maybe an aul gander at Rosemary's Baby :pac:...............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My daughter is my favourite thing in the whole world.
    She can make me happy when nothing or no one else can.
    All she has to do is smile at me.
    She's just great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

summerskin wrote: »
    Kids don't ruin anything, they make things many times better. Nothing comes close.

Except your boyfriend who made you pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

we need an army of ****rats to fight the next great war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Why is this such an issue? Is there something programmed into women that make them broody and depressed if they don't have kids?

Yes.

The biological clock, it's hormonal as a woman's fertility starts to decline and she has not had a child the hormonal system, does it's damnedest to try and make her crank one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Except your boyfriend who made you pregnant.

shes right not even the boyfriend who made you pregnant comes close,

they are in 2nd, but no where near 1st,

he says the same to me :pac:

hoodwinked wrote: »
    shes right not even the boyfriend who made you pregnant comes close,

they are in 2nd, but no where near 1st,

he says the same to me :pac:

Well in fairness, they do have to come close enough to get you preggers in the first place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Very true.

I want about 50 babies tearing the place up.

One would do though.

Until the comments start flowing in about leaving your child an 'only child' and 'would ye not give them a brother / sister'.

Interfering aul bag syndrome, mark my words :pac:

Well in fairness, they do have to come close enough to get you preggers in the first place :)

well they were in 1st before the baby was born so....:pac:

• Advertisement

Until the comments start flowing in about leaving your child an 'only child' and 'would ye not give them a brother / sister'.

that is REALLY annoying, :mad:

luckily our one has a peronality as such that anyone who knows her knows any potential sibling would swiftly be stamped and stuffed into a postbox to be returned! :D

They even come from your kids themselves.
    Only yesterday my son told me he wants a brother, and my daughter told me she wants a sister!
    I'm not able to have anymore though thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Kids are the best thing in the world...they make you proper belly laugh with their little ways....they bring so much joy and sparkle...the tiredness, midnight feeds and cost of nappies are so worth it.

It's so cruel for those who want kids but it can't happen and I don't think they're people that should be pointed and laughed at for wanting something so natural. Count your blessings op.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    well they were in 1st until the baby was born so....:pac:

No, I don't think you get me!
    Um... they have to COME in you or in your general vicinity to get you pregnant in the first place!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'm 31 and never want kids, I don't see the appeal. In fact, the appeal of never having any just seems fantastic, hassle free life without the horrible little bastards ruining everything and sapping your resources.

Just because you don't want them, they are pointless? Right...
    Y'know, you were one of those horrible little bastards too, sapping your parents resources and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've just taught my son to fetch me a beer from the fridge and open it.

I also pit both my sons against each other in gladiatorial combat in the sitting room when my wife is out and myself and my friend place bets on which one hits the deck first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

What about being a seven year old with late stage pancreatic cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,883 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RichT wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so confident that your kids wont pack you off to the nursing home first chance they get.

I dont have any yet, but im pretty confident of this not being the case as throughout my family history its never happened. (quite family orientated) and this wont change.

My kids will have the same filled upbringing as i have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Kids - what's the point?

They make a great power source for our machine overlords of course. The more we grow the less dependant they are on fossil fuels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What about being a seven year old with late stage pancreatic cancer?

True, but people have to be allowed to use idioms and throw-away remarks in the ebb and flow of conversation without having to ponder every possible angle or interpretation.

Advertisement