Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids - what's the point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

barbiegirl wrote: »

Having been trying for 3 years and suffering 3 miscarriages, my sincere hope is that 2012 will bring a little babs to us. :D

I'll be rooting for you, the best of luck.

We had a tough ol time of pregnancies, finally we got what we'd dreamed of, and she's perfect, when yours comes along, it'll be even more loved.

We would like another one, but simply don't have the fight in us to battle against complicated pregnancies and miscarriages again, and feel we've been lucky to have this child, maybe we should just be content.

to 2012 and a mini barbiegirl xx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'll be having kids to pass on my genetic code. You never know with scientists now a days, maybe some day if I ever die (please god I don't) I could be brought back using their DNA.
    I'll have 3 girls and 2 boys. They won't be Caucasian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Haha, that's the first thing that crossed my mind and that he will end up in a nursing home cause he will have no kids to mind him :p

Lets be fair, most of us are going to end up in a nursing home anyway.
    Seeing as the selfish sprogs you bother to raise will inevitably dump your old, doddering carcass in the cheapest place they can find when your infirmity becomes too uncomfortable for them to deal with.

Because people ain't no good, and your loinspawn aren't any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

All kids are bastards.

I'd rather be celibate and sterilised than have one of the horrible little c*nts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'll be having kids to pass on my genetic code. You never know with scientists now a days, maybe some day if I ever die (please god I don't) I could be brought back using their DNA.
    I'll have 3 girls and 2 boys. They won't be Caucasian.

Wont you have decomposed by then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

For another take on things, it seems to me that a reasonable amount of people have kids to fulfill their own narcissistic needs -> mainly to bring someone into their lives that loves them no matter what and also someone whose life they can have absolute control over... :cool:

In terms of women turning thirty and feeling like a nuclear bomb is suddenly going to go off if they don't start popping out children like Miriam O'Callaghan, it is not unusual to see how some of these women actually proceed to have children DESPITE being in a bad/unhappy relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

orourkeda wrote: »
    Wont you have decomposed by then?
    Is there no way they can preserve my brain or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I'm 31 and never want kids, I don't see the appeal. In fact, the appeal of never having any just seems fantastic, hassle free life without the horrible little bastards ruining everything and sapping your resources.

I wouldn't worry about you getting anyone pregnant anyway considering all your gf's keep choosing their vibrators over you :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

looksee wrote: »
    True, but people have to be allowed to use idioms and throw-away remarks in the ebb and flow of conversation without having to ponder every possible angle or interpretation.

Sorry I must have fallen asleep. I had this weird dream I was posting in After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

People over about 40-45 without kids are always a bit weird. Dont become one of those weirdos op.
    And find someone with kids that regrets having them. You'll have a hard time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

smash wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about you getting anyone pregnant anyway considering all your gf's keep choosing their vibrators over you :P

You got your facts wrong there, friend.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    People over about 40-45 without kids are always a bit weird. Dont become one of those weirdos op.

I know some nice people in their 50s with no kids. Not a nice thing to say. When does it end anyway? How many people do we want on this planet?

You got your facts wrong there, friend.
    Well not all of them. But a few:
    I've been with a couple of girls in the past for casual sex and they've produced sex toys and started going at themselves in an effort to turn themselves and myself on, I presume.

Well not all of them. But a few:

Sigh, I'm not going there again, but none were girlfriends and it when did they say they were doing it as a replacement for me? Some use it more of an aide I guess. Not my cup of tea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is actually a huge social pressure for people to have kids. I used to think that was what really made woman go mad for babies. Then my friends hit 30 and went nuts.

Friends said they would get pregant with anyone!

They would get pregnant with somebody else if there partner couldn't do it.

Woman came off the pill and never told their partners. (Worked out fine for one and terribly for another couple)

I remember there being a few studies done and woman said they wouldn't tell their partner if they were carrying somebody elses' child. What was worse was that woman would lie to cover up this situation for somebody else even if it was their own family memeber who was cheated on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I would like to have kids. Not because I think my genes are so worth preserving, or that it would be a complete catastrophe if our ancestral line was not passed on, but because I am very family orientated, and I love babies :) And you do get to a stage in your life that you want to be all about someone else, and not yourself.

It's all about finding the right person to have them with though, that's proving the difficult part!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

theres one point to have kid/s, to continue your gene pool, thats all i can think of tbh
    im not saying il never want them because who knows if il think the same way in 5-10years, but right now id have to say ive way too much to do in my life while im young and free from responsabilities.
    if i want kids way down the line then so be it, if it doesnt work out for me for whatever reason then i cant see myself going crazy or overtly sad over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Of course you'll have a hard time, it's very politicly incorrect. Plus most people who are in that situation are hardly going to say they made a mistake that ruined the rest of their lives.

Most Women do seem to want children, that clock starts to tick after 30 but lets not ignore social pressure. Society does everything in it's power to convince women that's what they want.

With men I'd say it's more 50/50. if you're in a steady relationship with sex they'll won't say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I know some nice people in their 50s with no kids. Not a nice thing to say. When does it end anyway? How many people do we want on this planet?

Bear in mind you said kids were horrible little bastards, stop being so sensitive all of a sudden! It's all tongue in cheek.
    Our country is well capable of supporting an increasing population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

FYP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJRzBpFjJS8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bottom line is most people can't or won't resist the biological urge to have our genes live on here on earth.

Oh.....and they (babies) are mostly lovely.

• Advertisement

For people that don't want kids, what will happen to any savings or assets you have when you die? Gonna donate them to a charity?

You could end up living a very lonely life in your later years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I like kids, they can be great craic, but I've got nephews and a niece that I can pass back when I'm bored of them.

The only other reason to have kids that i can see is to make children that are fit, healthy, happy, clever and witty and then laugh at eveyrone else's pathetic attempts at offspring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Bear in mind you said kids were horrible little bastards, stop being so sensitive all of a sudden! It's all tongue in cheek.
    Our country is well capable of supporting an increasing population.
    Not really. A child in the western world uses a huge amount of resources that would require the planet to much larger. In this country we actually use other countries resources plus our own.

I think it is strange that people think their genetic line is massively important. That is a massive ego to have. It is also intersting considering that the children at the moment are likely to die before the parents due to their health habits which are generally instilled by the parents.

For people that don't want kids, what will happen to any savings or assets you have when you die? Gonna donate them to a charity?

You could end up living a very lonely life in your later years too.

It's a lot worse when you do have kids and they ignore you in later life. Kids are people too... there's some good and bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My will stipulates that it is to be burned in front of every body I know with my evil laugh playing over loudspeakers.

I want kids, only two though it's all that will fit in my stewing pot.

It's a lot worse when you do have kids and they ignore you in later life. Kids are people too... there's some good and bad ones.

You'd want to have been a complete dick for that to happen!

You could be the kindest parents and still have evil offspring. Look at Terry Duckworth ffs, poor old Jack and Vera couldn't have been nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Don't have any kids and don't think I ever will.

I'd rather a few dogs, a cat, and a team of highly trained monkeys.

No, we all have individual personalities. Some people don't have a close connection to family members. Worked in an office once and two people there saw their parents once a year and they only lived 3 or four miles away. They felt there wasn't any need.

It's like the parents of some kids who are mad to have them move out when they're 18. (more a USA thing) If you have a kid, you have it for life. #

There are many out there that don't really want kids, it's more a box to tick off...

Go to college
    Get a job
    Get married
    Buy a house
    Have kids
    Retire

No thought is put into it and society isn't going to object. If the majority didn't follow the rules modern life would fall apart. It's also society that decides to bully those that don't follow this plan, especially if you're a woman.

Why aren't you married?
    why haven't you had kids?

This pressure almost always comes from other women. You rarely hear men talk about children and urging their pals to increase the human population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Go to college
    Get a job
    Get married
    Buy a house
    Have kids
    Retire

Now replaced by the less conventional model

Leave college
    go on the dole
    get sporadic work
    stay in rented accommodation
    discover your contraception's failed
    bring up kid
    go on state pension.

Everyone's life seems terrible and pointless boiled down like that, although I hate those tick the boxes folk

Without a kid my life could be

Leave college
    go on dole
    get sporadic work
    stay in rented accommodation
    go on state pension

Some variations within that are win the lotto, get hired as a professor or lose a leg. All rather unlikely.

Don't understand the disdain on both sides, I would never look down upon anyone for not having a child or for having a child.
    If you don't I'm sure you're doing plenty of other things to add to the national and global crisis, never mind what Enda Kenny says :cool:.

Advertisement