Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids - what's the point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

smash wrote: »
    Yea it is but technologies and sciences are moving faster now than ever so why would you worry about it?

That's kinda everyone's take on oil too - i.e. era it'll be grand and sure they'll come up with an alternative before it's too late... :rolleyes:
    I have an idea, why don't we just exterminate people at retirement age. That should sort out a lot, it will mean no pensions too!

Well, isn't it a lot more practical for people to be more sensible about if and how many kids they have in the first place?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MrThrifty wrote: »
    That's kinda everyone's take on oil too - i.e. era it'll be grand and sure they'll come up with an alternative before it's too late... :rolleyes:
    Hydrogen power will have its day. Anyway, this isn't the thread for that.

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Well, isn't it a lot more practical for people to be more sensible about if and how many kids they have in the first place?! :)
    That's what people do, they base the size of their families around what they can afford. If they don't then they're stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

That's what people do, they base the size of their families around what they can afford. If they don't then they're stupid.

From what I noticed, growing up in Dublin, is that the poorer and less educated the family the more kids they'd have. So I guess all poor people are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    From what I noticed, growing up in Dublin, is that the poorer and less educated the family the more kids they'd have. So I guess all poor people are stupid.
    Obviously, that's why they're poor!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ah come on, why do you think that is? Do the words 'child benefit' mean nothing to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Kasabian wrote: »
    The best thing about having kids is the unconditional love that they show you.

That, and the lego.

I love lego.

Unless I stand on it in bare feet of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Kasabian wrote: »
    The best thing about having kids is the unconditional love that they show you.

It is pure, at least until they grow up and figure you out.

I dog will do that and never grow out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

For the greater majority of women their fertility doesn't start to decline until after 35. Your friends may have been over reacting a bit with their rabid desire to get pregnant.

Personally I don't think tricking someone into having a baby with you is ever going to prove a good move.
    What you missed there was that it isn't just my friends and they didn't agree. The problem was at least 50% admitted it. I think it was Life magazine that did one of the surveys.

They did a show on the radio about it and lots of woman were quite "understanding" that when the desire kicks in that what ever somebody does to get pregnant was fair enough. My mother axctually agreed with it too. It is generally accepted men can be quite driven by their sex drives while ignored that woman have a sex drive and a desire for babies. There will always people who give into their urges. Don't foreget woman lie less than men but are better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ew poor people, so yeah all those flights you've taken and all the electricity you've wasted being on the internet today

you are some eco warrior. :pac:

Use your intelligence will you. A decade ago there was no broadband, mobile phones only made calls and sent text messages, VHS were still being sold in shops, hardly anyone had flat screen TV's, there were no wind energy farms etc etc.

It's moving very fkn fast!

Right and how is broadband and people buying i-phones making the world more sustainable? How are you linking this technology with us being more in touch with the planet? Wind energy is hardly lighting up the energy world.

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »
    Ew poor people, so yeah all those flights you've taken and all the electricity you've wasted being on the internet today

you are some eco warrior. :pac:

I'm not claiming to be one, I just think it's funny that people think our population can just keep growing and growing and it wont have any effect on the planet. It is definitely the number one issue facing the human race IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm not claiming to be one, I just think it's funny that people think our population can just keep growing and growing and it wont have any effect on the planet. It is definitely the number one issue facing the human race IMO.

I think it's funny that you're claiming this as your reason why you don't want kids! If you don't want 'em, fair enough, but don't pretend it's down to your concern about the planet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Really can't understand the big debate.
    Some people want kids, others don't, others may not want any now but will change their mind.

Personal choice really, although it becomes a big issue when you are in a serious relationship with a person who wants kids and you don't, or visa versa.

Anyway, my kids are little bastards - they were 3 and 7 at our wedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

What if no one in the world wanted kids, we would all become extinct:eek:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

karaokeman wrote: »
    What if no one in the world wanted kids, we would all become extinct:eek:?

You don't need to want kids to get pregnant :pac:

kincsem wrote: »
    Last time I was in a nursing home (Saturday) most of the residents were married. People do not mind their incontinent, demented, confused parents at home.

Exactly.....Offspring know they are entitled to your hardearned.
    It is the heirless, who are beating off the helpful types in their dotage.

I want babies.....but only if they are ginger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi all. I was reading on personal issues about women worrying about being too old to have kids etc, how they want them so badly, and their life would never be complete without them. I also know a few girls in their 30s that are deeply depressed by the fact that they're single and still don't have kids, it seems they want kids to make their lives complete. Why is this such an issue? Is there something programmed into women that make them broody and depressed if they don't have kids? Isn't it a bit dangerous to be pinning your happiness on the birth of a child?
    I'm 31 and never want kids, I don't see the appeal. In fact, the appeal of never having any just seems fantastic, hassle free life without the horrible little bastards ruining everything and sapping your resources.

In fairness with an attitude like that it's a sensible decision... Maybe a pity your parents didn't think the same...

Surely you can see the problem with your statement if everyone didn't bother having kids or are you too short sighted and inward looking to see that too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I think most people would like to have kids OP. Its a kinda natural urge. I personally dont want them but I can see the appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I think most people would like to have kids OP. Its a kinda natural urge. I personally dont want them but I can see the appeal.

I dunno. I can see the entertainment side of an evil one..

I'd get hours of entertainment outta this lil broad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Paparazzo wrote: »
    And find someone with kids that regrets having them. You'll have a hard time.

I know quite a few. my sister. a friend of mine. and lots that I encounter through my work. and those that I meet professionally often tell me that they could never admit their regret to their family/friends but can only do so to me as it will be confidential.

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »

I know quite a few. my sister. a friend of mine. and lots that I encounter through my work. and those that I meet professionally often tell me that they could never admit their regret to their family/friends but can only do so to me as it will be confidential.

Are we talking regretting having children at a certain time of their lives, or is it full on resentment? I pity any child in the last bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I don't expect anyone to mind me. Anyway I have bupa, and the girls in Thailand always stay young.

so you are going to be a gruby old fart who pays post op children for sex :eek:

you keeps reaching for the stars champ !!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

it seems these days that kids are just something that poor / uneducated people do most. It just seems that the smarter / more successful you are the less kids you have.

I cant understand the appeal, its an 18 year minimum ball and chain that drains everything out of you, wont be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Abi wrote: »
    Are we talking regretting having children at a certain time of their lives, or is it full on resentment? I pity any child in the last bracket.

full on resentment. people that had unplanned pregnancies or those who had kids because it was what was expected of them, or to try keep a relationship intact. and yeah, I pity those kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

summerskin wrote: »
    Kids don't ruin anything, they make things many times better. Nothing comes close.

You don't get out much do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Children are awesome.

They're like little drunk people: talk a lot of amusing rubbish, full of hugs but may have mood swings, likely to wee themselves and vomit, and fond of boobs.

Think of a conversation you've had drunk, replace the word 'fcuk' with 'silly' and Bam! You're 3. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

kids - what's the point?

my humble opinion as follows;

if you don't want children don't have them
    if you are trying to have children best of luck to you
    if you do have children give them all the love and support you can

But..please, don't call them "kids".....we're talking about little people here - not the "are we there yet? goat"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Children are awesome.

They're like little drunk people: talk a lot of amusing rubbish, full of hugs but may have mood swings, likely to wee themselves and vomit, and fond of boobs.

Think of a conversation you've had drunk, replace the word 'fcuk' with 'silly' and Bam! You're 3. Awesome.

They also keep unsociable hours, often waking up in the middle of the night demanding drink.

10 years ago, I was like a lot of the posters on here, couldn't see the appeal, would have been just as glad to remain childless.

Now I wouldn't swap my two for anything.

Though I'd gladly give them away for a couple of hours every now and then

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    full on resentment. people that had unplanned pregnancies or those who had kids because it was what was expected of them, or to try keep a relationship intact. and yeah, I pity those kids too.

Jesus o_O

Children don't ask to be born, I pity the parents they're born to. I suppose you can't tell them to take certain actions, but if a parent shows a child resentment day in day out, they'd want to be thinking of giving the child up for adoption. I suppose they'd have little interaction or affection towards their kids, and thats very unfair. Depriving a child of love and affection is so wrong.

In cases like these, do you know of any that gave up their children, or are they just continuing dragging them up? I hate to think of kids growing up in that kind of an environment.

Sorry for picking your brain on this one, just genuinely interested.

Advertisement