Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Weather Forum Quiz - 19 December 2011

Options
  • 19-12-2011 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

This is the second Boards Weather Forum quiz. The first may be found here.

The below ten questions relate to Irish weather and earth science related matters.

To reveal the answers just drag your mouse icon over the dark SPOILER areas.

If there is an issue with any of the answers given please PM me.

Don’t forget to reply with your score.

Enjoy!!

1) What river flows through the County Tipperary town of Clonmel?
    Suir
    2) According to Met Eireann, there is an average of how many hours of sunshine per year in Ireland: 503, 1503, 2503, or 3503?
    3) Lace Mirrors is an anagram of what Connacht town?
    Claremorris
    4) What is the largest county in Northern Ireland by area?
    Tyrone
    5) Which Connacht county does not have a coastline?
    Roscommon
    6) In 1859, which Irish scientist became the first to correctly explain why the sky is blue?
    John Tyndall
    7) An earthquake measuring 5.4 magnitude on the Richter scale hit the Llŷn Peninsula, and was felt along Ireland's east coast in what year?
    8) The lowest mean sea level pressure ever recorded in Ireland was 931.2hpa in which location on 28th November 1838?
    Limerick
    9) What is the smallest main county town in Ireland?
    Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Leitrim
    10) The average air frosts per year at Casement Aerodrome and Dublin Airport differ greatly, despite the fact that the observation stations being only 16 km apart. Which of the stations records more air frosts per year on average?
    Casement Aerodrome. Dublin records air frost on average 24.3 days per year, while Casement records air frost on average 41.3 days per year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That Spoiler is your highlight of 2011 !! haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

t|nt|n wrote: »
    That Spoiler is your highlight of 2011 !! haha :D

I learned so much in 2011 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

7/10 this time woohoo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

4/10 for me.. :) getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Zero. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

7/10. Earthquake, scientist and lowest pressure caught me out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

7/10 but a couple pure guesses. May I make a suggestion, WolfeITR, which is that you make all the spoilers much the same size by the addition of spaces or something. The spoiler size can give away the answer when you're deciding between one of two answers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I might have got 3 right if I knew how to interpret the 2nd question, maybe sunshine rather than sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Joe Public wrote: »
    I might have got 3 right if I knew how to interpret the 2nd question, maybe sunshine rather than sunlight.

Have edited that to make it more clear. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Only 5/10 this time, 1,2,4,5 & 9 right

• Advertisement
Advertisement