Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacket shrunk in wash - rights?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

My husband bought a jacket in a store (which has now closed but has other branches in Dublin)

After washing it for the first time and following instructions (30degree wash and dry flat) the jacket has noticeably shrunk.

He didn't keep the receipt, do we have any comeback with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lynfo wrote: »
    He didn't keep the receipt
    How did he buy it? Cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

No, credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Get a copy of your credit card statement. This is proof enough for proof of purchase according to National Consumer Agency. Bring that in with you with the jacket.
    As the jacket must have been faulty, they must offer you the following:
    Repair
    Replacement

if neither are satisfactory for you, a refund can then be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

That's great, thanks so much for the info.

As the jacket must have been faulty, they must offer you the following:
    Repair
    Replacement

if neither are satisfactory for you, a refund can then be issued.
    HAHAHAHAH. No.

They can offer one of them to you. Don't take it if you wish, but if you don't what they offer, and you goto the SCC, the company can say they offered you something, but you refused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

the_syco wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAH. No.

They can offer one of them to you. Don't take it if you wish, but if you don't what they offer, and you goto the SCC, the company can say they offered you something, but you refused.

Yeah, I meant that in the way that if she accepts their offers or replacement or repair and they do not remedy her issue then she's entitled to her refund.

No need to be a cheeky dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Less of that please. No need for language here.

dudara

Yeah, I meant that in the way that if she accepts their offers or replacement or repair and they do not remedy her issue then she's entitled to her refund.

I had to be a cheeky chappie, to ensure the OP knows of the procedure going in.

If someone goes on about "their rights", and getting them very wrong, the shops staff will (most likely) ignore their point of view. If they come in with the correct rights, shop staff would usually facilitate them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dudara wrote: »
    ... No need for language here....

How then do we communicate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

the_syco wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAH. No.

They can say what they want but if repair/replacement are not satisfactory remedies to the consumer for a good reason then the judgement could go with the consumer especially if the consumer acted quickly after the issue arose and also if the issue happened very shortly after purchase.

The other poster here was not wrong in the advice given so no need laugh at it. I could laugh at your post too but I wouldn't lower myself.

Consumer law is not black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How then do we communicate?

Without recourse to bad language. My Christmas cheer does not extend to inane comments.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dudara wrote: »
    Without recourse to bad language. My Christmas cheer does not extend to inane comments.

Ouch!

Advertisement