Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company that can put in sensor lights front and back. Dublin 15 area.

Options
  • 19-12-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Considering putting a sensor light at the front and rear of the house.

I have looked online but only found one company and they cant fit between now and xmas unfortunately.

I know its short notice but would like to get it sorted before Saturday if at all possible. If not so be it but worth a try as I have a bit of spare time between now and then.

Can anyone recommend a company who supplies and fits these as I am awful when it comes to DIY before anyone recommends me attempting it. :D

Thanks in advance..

ps mods if this is in the wrong forum can you move it to where it should be please. cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your looking for an electrician. Go local. Buy the sensor lights yourself (cheaper) and ask for a quote to wire them.

Yellow pages / local noticeboards for an electrician.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

listermint wrote: »
    Your looking for an electrician. Go local. Buy the sensor lights yourself (cheaper)

It is not cheaper for those not in the trade to buy lights.
    Secondly people not in the trade often buy poor quality light fittings in my experience. Then the electrician will not be keen to stand over the materials.

2011 wrote: »
    It is not cheaper for those not in the trade to buy lights.
    Secondly people not in the trade often buy poor quality light fittings in my experience. Then the electrician will not be keen to stand over the materials.

Never said it was, just that the cost savings wont necessarily be passed on.. in my experience.

And the part about quality is baffling. Its a light fitting any fitting from retailers like Woodies or B&Q legally is CE branded and has BS standards to adhere to, additionally most of the stock comes from places like cassidys etc where 'the trade' source from too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Never said it was, just that the cost savings wont necessarily be passed on.. in my experience.
    So challage the electrician.
    And the part about quality is baffling. Its a light fitting any fitting from retailers like Woodies or B&Q legally is CE branded and has BS standards to adhere to, additionally most of the stock comes from places like cassidys etc where 'the trade' source from too.
    Woodies and B&Q are far too expensive! Also they do not sell quality outdoor sensor lights (such as Stinel). You won't find many builders there either.

CE and BS standards are will not prevent rust or ensure reliability.

Best try EWL, Eurosales. Kellighers or NEW.

• Advertisement

It is important to note that CE and BS standards are not intended to be a quality guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I think 2011 has a point, if your getting someone in to do the job. No point saving €10 on the light fitting, if you'll need to get someone back in a year to replace it again.

I've used/fitted a few of the cheaper sensor lights myself and had very few issues with them. But if they do go, I've no problem getting up and replacing it myself.

Any electrician should be able to do this work for you. Is there already power out there? (like on some new builds). If you have to run power out do you want a switch on it? do you know where you want that etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Really thought there'd be companies doing this.

Maybe theres an opportunity for a start up :p

Seriously though couldnt really be bothered buyin lights myself and having to attempt to fit or maintain them.

So is there companies that do all this for the lazy non DIY person like myself??

Or is it the case of just buy some lights wherever and get an electrician in? Really dont want the bother of this route to be honest.

Google EECI and/or ECSSA.
    This will provide you with a list of Registered Electrical Contractors in your area. Give them a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Really thought there'd be companies doing this.

There are hundreds of them but expecting to get it done Christmas week is a big ask,Most contractors will be trying to finish up all their loose ends now to have a fresh start in the new year..You better have a nice smile or a nicer wallet:p
    Ive had to turn down so many small jobs in the last week from last minute people its nearly a crime:(

But good luck anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd be pretty much the same at this stage.
    I've turned down about 6 installations this week & about the same of this sort of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

paddymick wrote: »
    There are hundreds of them but expecting to get it done Christmas week is a big ask,Most contractors will be trying to finish up all their loose ends now to have a fresh start in the new year..You better have a nice smile or a nicer wallet:p
    Ive had to turn down so many small jobs in the last week from last minute people its nearly a crime:(

But good luck anyway....
    KoolKid wrote: »
    I'd be pretty much the same at this stage.
    I've turned down about 6 installations this week & about the same of this sort of work.

Ok I know its very close to Xmas but at the same time if I was a small company/one man show I'd be workin through the night if I had to or at the very least telling me that I'd get a phone call in the new year.

Instead all I got from a couple of places was a big fat no and essentially hung up!! :confused: I understand we're close to xmas an all and loose jobs need to be sorted thats fair enough but seriously its not exactly celtic tiger times we're livin in right now.

Anyway sure I'll leave it till the new year and get it sorted then instead so.

thanks for the help everyone btw

2011 wrote: »
    So challage the electrician.

Woodies and B&Q are far too expensive! Also they do not sell quality outdoor sensor lights (such as Stinel). You won't find many builders there either.

CE and BS standards are will not prevent rust or ensure reliability.

Best try EWL, Eurosales. Kellighers or NEW.

just to be clear both these suppliers supply woodies.

Also ive a sensor light out the back for 12 years and there is no rust on it what so ever. Its given zero days trouble and i didnt pay builders rates.

I dont believe you are required to pay for a stinel branded fitting when it simply isny required for purpose unless of course the client here is sea facing. however i have my doubts the stinel would fair any better in those conditions to anything else off the shelf.

Either way best of luck op with your choices. Its a tight timeline.

That means nothing.
    Woodies and Chadwicks have the many same suppliers, very different prices to their respective customers though!
    Also ive a sensor light out the back for 12 years and there is no rust on it what so ever. Its given zero days trouble and i didnt pay builders rates.
    So either there are some exceptions or you were lucky. Either way electrical contractors buy little or nothing from Woodies.
    I dont believe you are required to pay for a stinel branded fitting when it simply isny required for purpose unless of course the client here is sea facing. however i have my doubts the stinel would fair any better in those conditions to anything else off the shelf.
    Stinel are mearly an example of a quality sensor light not sold by Woodies. I used them when I was an electrical contractor. This is because:
    1) they have a 5 year warrantee.
    2) I did not get call backs when I used them
    3) they look great
    4) powder coated
    5) when customers insisted that I used their "cheap" sensor lights they were often disappointed.

By the way I found Woodies cable prices to be more than 6 times the price of Eurosales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Yes i always advise customers to buy at the wholesaler and for good reason

most of that diy junk is torture to install as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »

Torture is the only word for it, infuriating at times trying to connect into ridiculous terminals, usually with no room around them either.

I took this picture a couple of weeks ago in woodies just before I nearly fainted:eek:

50m of 2.5 T+E cut loose in a bag not even on a roll........

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Ring any of those Wholesalers for a few numbers of electricians they deal with. If
    you're getting nowhere then ring Trade Electric in Santry and ask for Damien and explain your situation to him. They have a
    Board in there that contractors stick their cards on for the public to pick up. There are plenty of them doing nothing so you should
    be able to get this done for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

robbie7730 wrote: »
    M cebee wrote: »

Torture is the only word for it, infuriating at times trying to connect into ridiculous terminals, usually with no room around them either.

It usually spells trouble alright when the customer has bought all their gear at the diy superstore

I do warn people if i get a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Either way best of luck op with your choices. Its a tight timeline.

Got to give my two cents here folks, I gave up on Steinal years ago .At the moment I do maintenance for a couple of large apt/office blocks all fitted out with Steinal sensors both combined and separate from the fittings and inside and outdoors and I'm considering taking every last one of them out.
    They havent even lasted five years.
    On the other hand I bought a load of B&Q cheap and cheerful sensors lights bout ten years ago .....guess what ? everyone of them are still working.
    I'm twenty years working as a sparks too and I refuse to touch Steinel.
    You probally might know this but anytime I fit a sensor halogen or any light outside I cover fixing screws and any bolts etc with loads of vaseline ..stops rust....and makes it easier to open them again for lamp changes.
    Sorry for dragging off thread.

mattjack wrote: »
    Got to give my two cents here folks, I gave up on Steinal years ago .At the moment I do maintenance for a couple of large apt/office blocks all fitted out with Steinal sensors both combined and separate from the fittings and inside and outdoors and I'm considering taking every last one of them out.
    They havent even lasted five years.
    On the other hand I bought a load of B&Q cheap and cheerful sensors lights bout ten years ago .....guess what ? everyone of them are still working.
    I'm twenty years working as a sparks too and I refuse to touch Steinel.
    You are right to do whatever works for you.

I wouldn't get too hung up on Stinel, it is just an example I gave of what I found to be a good make make when I worked as an electrician several years ago (perhaps they are no longer any good).

My point is that proffessional electrical contractors generally buy all of their materials in an electrical wholesalers, not a DIY store.
    This is due to the fact that electrical wholesalers offer a far wider range of products at a much more competitive price. B & Q and Woddies are aiming at a completely different market. My mother swears by Woddies :D:D

I know it would theoretically be possible to build a house almost exclusively from materials purchased in Woodies, but there is a reason that builders don't! This is despite the fact that Woodies are owned by the same people as Chadwicks and sell many of the same materials. A quick check on price differences and it all makes sense. Woodies prices are often many multiples of Chadwicks prices often for exactly the same product. Check out the price difference on cement or a box of screws, it is astounding.

When I was a registered electrical contractor I had to stand over my work (legally) and therefore I was quite particular about the equipment I selected. Often I used more expensive materials (even if I had to adsorb the extra cost) because I knew that in the long run the chances of failure was significantly reduced. This was better for my reputation and profit margin in the long run. I could also save time by installing higher quality materials that are easier to terminate (such as MK). People working in the trade find what works for them and quality materials worked for me.

I also often found that I could purchase higher quality materials at a cheaper price than the lower quality ones in Woodies or B & Q. For those that doubt me compare cable and lamp prices between Woodies, B & Q and proper electrical wholesalers such as Kellighers, Eurosales, NEW and EWL.

Friedland also do a good sensor light that is in between
    the Steinel and cheap options.

paddymick wrote: »
    I took this picture a couple of weeks ago in woodies just before I nearly fainted:eek:

50m of 2.5 T+E cut loose in a bag not even on a roll........

Unbelievable !! And to think they get away with it. You'd get a 100m roll for that price in a Wholesaler at the moment.

FMartinp wrote: »
    Unbelievable !! And to think they get away with it. You'd get a 100m roll for that price in a Wholesaler at the moment.

You can get a 100m roll for less than that in a wholesalers, They also had 50w GU10 halogens there for €8 each!! It actually gets to me a bit the way they can charge so much But I suppose as long as little mr DIY keeps going in there and buying the crap they`ll keep getting away with it.:rolleyes:

Anyway dont mind me I could rant on about those places forever,Woodies is just a big pet hate of mine:)

Advertisement