Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the norm?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Have tennants who needed a few things fixing so they paid for it and took it out of the rent. All the stuff was working when they got the place and it's just wear and tear really. But I am wondering where do you draw the line?

Note: I am accidental landlord. Never intended to be, never wanted to be. So go easy on me :-)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Julie London

Im a landlord too, albeit an accidental one like you. I built my house to live in but had to move for work. so im letting it out for a few years.
    I always pay for wear and tear . Items like a fridge breaking or the washer the onus is on the landlord. However your tenats should not have gone ahead and done any repairs without clearing it with you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What sort of things? Did they inform you first?
    The normal thing is for them to tell you, and for you to get the work done and pay for it. If it is easier for all of you, they tenants can get the work done and take it out of the rent, but then you have no control over the quality of the work done or how much is paid for it, so better to organise it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

silja wrote: »
    What sort of things? Did they inform you first?
    The normal thing is for them to tell you, and for you to get the work done and pay for it. If it is easier for all of you, they tenants can get the work done and take it out of the rent, but then you have no control over the quality of the work done or how much is paid for it, so better to organise it yourself.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hi,
    Have tennants who needed a few things fixing so they paid for it and took it out of the rent. All the stuff was working when they got the place and it's just wear and tear really. But I am wondering where do you draw the line?

Note: I am accidental landlord. Never intended to be, never wanted to be. So go easy on me :-)

Cheers.

Without more detailed information about the things that needed fixing, it is impossible to say.

However, normally a tenant should not just fix something and take the cost out of the rent without first asking the landlord if they may do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it happens too often, check who is doing the repairs, to ensure that the problem & repairman exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Absolutely not allowed - unless they have had trouble hunting you down and you have refused to repair the items.

Rent should never ever be withheld and my advice to you is to fire a letter off to them asap.

They have deprived you of the opportunity to fix things yourself if you could, and if you couldn't, then you may have got these things done cheaper.

Ask them for the receipts and inform them that any other issues are to be directed to you immediately.

I mean for all you know they could take a hammer to your washing machine, tell you it's broken, buy a new one and deduct it from the rent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Repairs have to be cleared with the landlord first

Unless it's an emergency like once the local scum damaged my door trying to force it in and the landlord was away that weekend leaving me with a broken front door
    Or maybe a burst water pipe, something serious anyway. In that case don't hesitate

But for small simple stuff you have to tell the landlord first
    There are professional landlords out there, they might be a tradesman or at least have contacts in the trade who will do them a good deal. So let the landlord make the decision

Now for amateurs like yourself OP it may be easier if the tenant sorts out the tradesman and deducts from the rent, you may prefer it

But they have to give you a heads up

Advertisement