Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Date of shortest day of year??

• 19-12-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

just looking on the internet, and there sites saying the 21st is the shortest and others saying the 22nd? anyone have a definitive answer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭tonytoc11

I always thought it was the 21st anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I always thought it was 21st too but looking at the table on wiki (at the right of page) it seems to depend on the year 2011 is the 22nd
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

It depends on were you are really, the solstice is at 5.30Am in Dublin so as you go west that will be before midnight in most of the US and Canada and across the Pacific.

Times for Dublin here

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78&month=12&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

that's great, bit of a stretch in the evening on friday so

A

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I've a feeling that while we call it 'the shortest day', it's actually the longest night, leaving the days either side of it as the shortest days.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

It varies from year to year. Same with longest day and the equinox's. 22nd of Dec this year but, it would only be a few seconds in difference to the 21st and 23rd

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone ever get tickets for the winter solstice in new grange?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

The solstice is on the 21st, however, as each year is 365 and 1/4 days, only on a leap year does it fall exactly on the 21st. As next year is a leap year, the shortest day will prob be the 22nd this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

TG, As of tomorrow we've turned the corner....and they're getting longer ;

And roll on the Summer.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Alibaba wrote: »
    TG, As of tomorrow we've turned the corner....and they're getting longer ;

And roll on the Summer.:)

icon14.gif
    Hear, HEAR!!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone ever get tickets for the winter solstice in new grange?

Yep, years ago. It used to be just a lottery run by the OPW, we applied and got tickets a few years later. The sun shone for us as well!!! We were still well underwhelmed, though - I think maybe we were a bit young to appreciate the whole thing. And I thought my legs might break from crouching down. Still glad I can say I was there once, though. Now I think it's more or less a closed shop, unless you're a politician or well-connected (hope I'm wrong on that).

As regards the longest night/shortest day, I think that the period of daylight is the shortest on 21st/22nd. But I think that it continues getting dark earlier every day long after those dates. So no noticeable stretch in the evenings for a while yet :( (again, i'm quite willing and happy to be wrong on that!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

As regards the longest night/shortest day, I think that the period of daylight is the shortest on 21st/22nd. But I think that it continues getting dark earlier every day long after those dates. So no noticeable stretch in the evenings for a while yet :( (again, i'm quite willing and happy to be wrong on that!)

That does depend on the year, this year, according to the link I posted above the earliest sunset was between the 11th and 16th at 16.06 and we've had a slight stretch in the evenings ever since. Latest sunrise however occurs on Dec 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I think your wrong there, for years my father would always be saying round christmas time how there was a stretch in the evenings, me and my mother would be telling him the shortest day was only over and couldn't be. If you look at these times http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78&month=12&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1
    you'll see how the sunsets get later from around the 16th onwards. But the sunrises keep getting later. So the evenings improve from about the 16th but the mornings get darker until the 31st.
    Now how my da could notice this with out a stopwatch by Christmas day is beyond me what with the difference in weather from day to day. There is only minutes in it for most of the second half of december.

Advertisement