Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a new chart on the RTE weather forecast

Options
  • 19-12-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Did anyone see the moving chart of Polar air in the Northern hemisphere over a 5 or so day period?
    Know where I can get it online?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Could be wrong but I think the charts used on the RTE weather forecast showed the 'thickness' values between 1000hPa & 500hPa.

Meteoblue thickness forecast charts are pretty good:
    http://www.meteoblue.com/uploads/meteobluedata/pub/nmm22/maps/00THSFP.htm

but they only go out to 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

thanks
    that chart doesn't show temperature ,does it?
    I thought that was was the RTE chart was showing (the boundary of the cold air mass versus the warm air mass) -although it does look a bit similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Thickness charts basically are temperature charts in that the greater the thickness the higher the mean temperature of the airmass (or really the layer between 500 and 1000 hPa). A cold airmass will have a smaller thickness, and vice versa. (Moisture also contributes to thickness, but not as much as temperature).

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

oh I see.Thanks for explaining that to me.

Advertisement