Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian electronics industry sector – info?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm considering a possible future move to Australia and am trying to establish how the electronics industry is faring out there. I would have a particular interest in the R&D and product design side of things. I've started doing some web research into things but would really appreciate it if someone on the ground working in the sector could offer a brief insight into the state of play of the industry out there along the following lines:

1) Industry breakdown: What appear to be the main types of electronics industry, e.g. medical, Australian-related industry equipment (mining, agricultural, automotive etc)?

2) Market: Is the industry not as much export driven as in other countries and therefore the main market for products mainly Australian? This is a sense I get but perhaps it's off the mark.

3) Manufacturing: Is this generally carried out in-house at companies for high-end products (medical) and contracted out (locally/Asia) for more general products as would be the norm in say Ireland?

4) Outlook: How healthy/secure is the future of the industry looking, with presumably increasing competition from nearby Asian countries etc. in at least the area of general electronic products (both design and manufacture)?

5) New Zealand comparison: Not joking here, but how overall does the industry in New Zealand compare?!

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes to this thread, while apologies to others if they feel it qualifies as one of the most uninteresting posts ever!

Comments

Advertisement