Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing & Essentials

Options
  • 19-12-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Alright Lads,

I heading to Perth now in a couple of weeks so it's about time I start thinking about packing and essentials. You ye have any pointers of stuff that I will need or stuff that is handly to have. Also is stuff expensive to buy over there?? I work as an accountant and I was going to buy a suit over there instead of weighting down my suitcase with the bloody thing.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Definately bring a multi socket power board... or two! And several adaptor plugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

sudzs wrote: »
    Definately bring a multi socket power board... or two! And several adaptor plugs!

I was thinking about adaptor's alright but a multi socket power board is a great idea. At least I'll only need one adaptor for that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Scans of all relevant documents, passport, DL, references, AIB code card and the like.
    I got suits and stuff shipped over, An Post shipped 20 kilos for 135 euro in about 2 weeks much better price than i found with shipping companies.
    Use currencyfair for money transfer, there great except the euro is weak now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I second currencyfair, pity about the exchange rate and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Good suits look expensive from what I've seen, post them if you've got good ones but the one thing I'm certain of is good shoes, they're really expensive here. I'll be doing my good quality cloths shopping in Ireland when I return for a visit.

Weather is glorious so basics for when you're out and about, plenty of cheap causal clothes in the shops.

Get your phone unlocked so you can pick up a $2 sim in woolworths.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

catbear wrote: »
    I second currencyfair, pity about the exchange rate and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Good suits look expensive from what I've seen, post them if you've got good ones but the one thing I'm certain of is good shoes, they're really expensive here. I'll be doing my good quality cloths shopping in Ireland when I return for a visit.

Weather is glorious so basics for when you're out and about, plenty of cheap causal clothes in the shops.

Get your phone unlocked so you can pick up a $2 sim in woolworths.

I transfered my money over yesterday with AIB :rolleyes: typical :pac: I'll remember it though incase I need to send money back or need more money sent over.

I got a SIM card with USIT alright but got told the company I was given (can't remember who) is expensive. Who do ye use??

I must look into getting a box sent over alright, brother in law works in freight so hopefully he'll be able to do something for me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Telstra are he vodafone of home, best and most expensive and they provide the infrastructure for all the landlines.
    Im with optus i find them good, i have a company fone as well so i never looked into it and i dont spend anymore than 30 a month on it.
    I use it to call home (there are cheaper ways, global gossip cards) but im waiting on land line, you get lots of credit for 30 it works different than home.
    e.g. you get your 30 and like 150 bonus credit + data, but its charged different there are connection fee's of at least a dollar a call and you are charged per minute not per second like home, some things are back in the stone age here lol, they are rough figures

Anything you can buy at home and get it shipped will save you a fortune, stuff is expensive here, a half decent pair of jeans at least 100 dollars decent shoes 100+
    Unless you go to a few of the cheap shops but you will know there cheap when you put them on, cheap here is like 50 dollars for shoes not like a tenner in pennys.

You may also need exam results and a copy of degree i was asked for all that as well, of course depending on where you are in your career.

Get any dental work done at home, 160 for a check up and clean, 150 for a tiny filling, i was at the dentist last week and it was 700 for 4 small fillings and 3 of them were on one tooth so you can imagine how big they were! My dentist is one of the cheaper ones as well but shes very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

I would def bring lots of clothes shops over there are really expensive. Also the cheaper shops, Target etc are terrible quality. You probaly got a Telstra Sim card, they are the main provider, they are a little more expensive but def worth it if you plan on going into the countryside as most of the others only work in the cities/big towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

gudede wrote: »
    I got a SIM card with USIT alright but got told the company I was given (can't remember who) is expensive. Who do ye use??
    The $2 Woolworth Sim I got got uses the optus network. No problems with it but I'm city based so can't say about its range in more remote areas.
    The cheap clothes here aren't great and the good clothes are expensive so if you're comfortable buying online then there are savings to be made there. You can buy up to $1000au online from outside Oz before they charge customs, I think it was €200 buying from Ireland from outside the EU.

Advertisement