Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive bottle of whiskey ever sold

Options
  • 19-12-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

http://www.shortlist.com/cool-stuff/scotch-sells-for-record-amount#image-rotator-1

Don't think I'd have the nerve to drink it!
    The first bottle of the Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve – one of the rarest single malt Scotch whiskies ever distilled – set a record as the most expensive bottle of whisky ever sold at auction when it reached £46,850 ($72,630).

Only 11 bottles of the 55 year old single malt Scotch will ever be released to the public to honour Janet Sheed Roberts, the granddaughter of William Grant – founder of the Glenfiddich distillery. Mrs Roberts celebrated her 110th birthday in August 2011 and is the oldest living person in Scotland.

The auction – held at Bonhams in Edinburgh – garnered interest from around the world, with the final auction price of £46,850 breaking the previous top sale of £29,400. All proceeds from this auction were donated to international charity WaterAid.

No word yet on the buyer. We're hoping it's winging its way to San Diego. You stay classy Ron Burgundy.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Two of the three bottles of dalmore trinitas sold for £100,000 each which, afaik, is the highest retail price. A dalmore 62 recently sold for £125k.

Apparently a macallan 64 sold for $460k usd a while ago at auction:

http://most-expensive.net/scotch

so I'm not sure how record breaking the glenfiddich really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Yeah, there are lots of different figures floating about.

The Dalmore Trinitas... Two were sold, one to the owner of the Whisky Exchange, one to a rich fella in Vegas... and the last one was up for sale at £100,000, but I'm not sure (could be wrong) if the ones we know were sold actually were sold for £100k.

A guy went into a hotel in England and bought a bottle of Dalmore 64 for tens of thousands of pounds and opened it there and then and shared it with people...

Vulgar amounts of money to be spending on whisky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Brockagh wrote: »
    ... Vulgar amounts of money to be spending on whisky.
    especially as the thread title was specifically about whiskey, the original of the species, and not the pale overated Scotch imitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I know another chap in the trade here that paid CA$32,000 in 2008 for a 50yo Balvenie. As far as I know it was aged completely in one sherry cask, but I'm open to correction on that. Personally I think it more of a trophy purchase at that price point.

It was dropped off to the distributor in a Brinks truck, and when he (the purchaser) collected it, he casually transported it back to the bar on the subway in the middle of the day. I'm sure it's insured.

He has it on his menu for $1,750 a glass.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mathepac wrote: »
    Brockagh wrote: »
    ... Vulgar amounts of money to be spending on whisky.
    especially as the thread title was specifically about whiskey, the original of the species, and not the pale overated Scotch imitation.

Right. Did you not see in the OP that it's about a bottle of glenfiddich which is Scottish?

• Advertisement
Advertisement