Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizzles Drogheda Closed?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

I went to meet someone for lunch at Sizzles in the M1 Business Park in Drogheda today. Place looked deserted with signs on the doors simply saying "Closed".

Anyone know if this is permanent? I googled it but found nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

no way. that place was doing really well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ah no, love the soup there! Rent was probably extortionate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

whelan1 wrote: »
    no way. that place was doing really well
    you are joking??- scroll through the drogheda restaurant reviews-terrible reports .

blingrhino wrote: »
    you are joking??- scroll through the drogheda restaurant reviews-terrible reports .

Don't know what they were expecting, I always found the food to be excellent, the staff were sometimes a little bit crap and it was slightly expensive but still I always enjoyed lunch there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

draffodx wrote: »
    Ah no, love the soup there! Rent was probably extortionate?
    Was it not purpose built ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Horrible food and service crap! Would hate for people to lose their jobs though.

it had improved in the last year or so.... before that it was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I thought the food was nice most of the time but I stopped going because the service was terrible. Staff were useless I am not suprised its closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

it had improved in the last year or so.... before that it was awful

I hadn't been there in over a year. My daughter brought me out for lunch with her first weeks wages there and the food was dreadful. Reheated chips and potatoes and cold food. Sent it back twice and no apology. Complained to head office and got a letter back with a back handed apology saying sorry but they don't serve reheated food.
    Never went there again. She was only 15 at the time and was so excited to being able to treat me.

I thought the food was nice most of the time but I stopped going because the service was terrible. Staff were useless I am not suprised its closed.

The service was terrible, I once went in with the OH, we were seated and three other couples came in after us, they all had their orders taken before us, I've only been within the last year and always found the food to be good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

It always amazes me how someone can invest thousands opening a restaurant and then fall at the last hurdle by hiring inept staff. :confused:

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    It always amazes me how someone can invest thousands opening a restaurant and then fall at the last hurdle by hiring inept staff. :confused:

Even inept staff can be trained to be fair, they obviously never were.

there where 2 very good girls there and 2 not so good girls, luck of the draw who you got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ladyduff

It's definitely closed. We met the chefs coming out as we were trying to go in a few days ago and they said they were closing for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Aw now that is a shame. They really had improved the last little while and the few times i went in it never seemed deserted.

Although, just over a week a go i was up and there was a woman who i commented must have been there for an interview. She was well dressed and had a big leather folder in front while speaking to the dublin woman who might have managed it. The woman wasnt in her normal smiles and chat mood, so i suspected something was up.

Suppose that was her getting her curtain call that day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Sad for the staff, especially at Xmas and the times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's unfortunate, I was actually planning going there next week with the father. I had been there once a year or two ago and I found the food to be excellent. I don't remember anything particularly good or bad about the staff. I hope someone else can take up the tenancy and provide some sort of employment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The food was OK, but for me the big deal was somewhere to meet people for lunch on the north side of Drogheda with adequate parking. Trying to park in the town is just more hassle than it's worth - and even crossing to somewhere on the south side of the river often means sitting in lines of traffic. I guess it's back to paninis in Costa Coffee in future.

what i liked was that the kids meals where good, not all fish and chips... i was well catered for on my slimming world diet with an omelette, which was very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

PDN wrote: »
    The food was OK, but for me the big deal was somewhere to meet people for lunch on the north side of Drogheda with adequate parking. Trying to park in the town is just more hassle than it's worth - and even crossing to somewhere on the south side of the river often means sitting in lines of traffic. I guess it's back to paninis in Costa Coffee in future.

Monasterboice Inn, another 5 mins out the road from the M1 roundabout, great for lunch. Plenty of parking. Or maybe that new Rendezvous place where Harrys was, parking there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

PDN wrote: »

La Vida Mocha beside Tesco off the Donore Rd is a nice wee spot & cheaper than Costly Coffee :p

Monasterboice Inn, another 5 mins out the road from the M1 roundabout, great for lunch. Plenty of parking. Or maybe that new Rendezvous place where Harrys was, parking there too.
    bit too upmarket for having kids in imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

PDN,

If it's only a sandwich-type lunch you're after, there's a Subway in the M1 Retail Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

bit too upmarket for having kids in imo!

Sorry, wasn't directing it towards you, was thinking PDN was looking to meet people for a more businessy/meeting type lunch figuring that time and parking was an issue - I could be way off though!

Bia is a great spot for bringing the kids - value for money and real food and kids always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I didn't like Sizzles at all. I went once and swore I would never go again. I got a cold burger that had a caramel sauce on it.... who in theie right mind puts caramel sauce in a burger.

When I complained it was just shrugged off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Karona wrote: »
    I didn't like Sizzles at all. I went once and swore I would never go again. I got a cold burger that had a caramel sauce on it.... who in theie right mind puts caramel sauce in a burger.

When I complained it was just shrugged off.

That sounds a little mental alright. Always thought the mammoth burgers were great for the size.
    Maybe you got caramelised onions... without the onions? :pac:

Advertisement