Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations please: 700W+ PSU

Options
  • 19-12-2011 4:22pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

This year I've built myself a new gaming machine as well as a more "budget friendly" one for my brother. Not being one to be left out, my mother too has been given a "new" PC out of my old spare parts (C2D + 4GB of RAM + my old mATX board lashed into a cheap and cheerful case and PSU bundle from Dabs).

Having taken care of the essentials for everyone in the family, I've got more or less enough spare parts to build a reasonable machine which will have a Core 2 Quad, 4GB of RAM (which I'm gonna bump to 8 cause it's not all that expensive) and 2 X 8800GTX in SLi. Now, I know they're very power hungry cards and the recommended is 700W or 750W of a PSU (and frak me they're more expensive than I remember), so I'm looking for recommendations in a PSU to turn this pile of spare parts into something functional :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

As far as I can tell you wouldn't need anything near that much to power it. A decent 600W unit should be more than enough:

15926.png
    power-load.gif

Unfortunately buying a single PSU is going to be expensive anyway because you have to factor shipping costs into account. If you could piggy-back off someone's HWVS order and grab a SF Amazon 650W that would be your best bet.

Advertisement