Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Science courses, regarding Maths

Options
  • 19-12-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I'm a student in 6th year and soon I'm going to have the nerve-wrecking task of filling out my CAO. I do very artsy subjects like Classics, History, Religion etc. and yet recently I've developed a keen interest in science and I kinda regret not choosing the likes of physics & chemistry for the LC to know if they're my thing or not.

I'm interested by courses like Computer Science and Physics with Astronomy and Space Science. My issue is that I've noticed that for a lot of these courses in Trinity they require Higher Maths and I only do ordinary (I still pull A's in it easily enough, I dropped from higher because of the extra work I had to do). Yet in UCD the same courses say the likes of an OB3 etc. will suffice?

So I'm wondering if anyone in these courses or any maths-related science courses could tell me whether a high level of mathematical skill is essential and whether even someone like me, who finds ordinary maths quite easy, would struggle. OR would a good work ethic and genuine interest in the subject be enough to do well? My worry is that I'd pick a science subject and then find I'd be held back by my mediocre maths abilities. Any help would be seriously appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gnarlypenguin

I was in the same boat as I did A Levels in German, IT and Maths then went to UCD to do mathematical science (maths and physics pretty much), I haven't done physics since I was 14 and I get on grand.
    I'd say as long as you put a bit of effort in you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Cill94

OSI wrote: »
    Physics and Computer Science can both be math heavy, especially Physics. And computer science uses a lot of math based logic.

In saying that, if you are willing to work at them, you may find you can get by as you would have to do Maths modules in both courses anyway that will help build your skills.

Are you doing any science subject for the LC? Pretty sure you need at least one to do either course in either TCD or UCD, or at least you did when I did Comp Sci in UCD.

Yeah I do Biology in school and my grades vary between a high C to a low B. The main issue is my maths because I've taken aptitude tests before and I tend to do pretty mediocre in the numerical reasoning part. And just it worries me to see that TCD have higher maths down as essential, but then UCD allow an ordinary B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Cill94 wrote: »
    I'm a student in 6th year and soon I'm going to have the nerve-wrecking task of filling out my CAO. I do very artsy subjects like Classics, History, Religion etc. and yet recently I've developed a keen interest in science and I kinda regret not choosing the likes of physics & chemistry for the LC to know if they're my thing or not.

I'm interested by courses like Computer Science and Physics with Astronomy and Space Science. My issue is that I've noticed that for a lot of these courses in Trinity they require Higher Maths and I only do ordinary (I still pull A's in it easily enough, I dropped from higher because of the extra work I had to do). Yet in UCD the same courses say the likes of an OB3 etc. will suffice?

So I'm wondering if anyone in these courses or any maths-related science courses could tell me whether a high level of mathematical skill is essential and whether even someone like me, who finds ordinary maths quite easy, would struggle. OR would a good work ethic and genuine interest in the subject be enough to do well? My worry is that I'd pick a science subject and then find I'd be held back by my mediocre maths abilities. Any help would be seriously appreciated! :)

Well for Physics with Astronomy and Space Science and Computer Science you have an a choice as to what you type of maths courses you want to choose. Usually, there's a higher and ordinary level maths in UCD Science (a bit like for the way it's decided up for the LC). The ordinary level maths course aren't that hard at all as far as I know. For degree programmes like Theoretical Physics and obviously Mathematical Science and the like, you need higher level maths for the LC and you will be assigned to the Higher Maths screams in UCD Science, you need these streams to progress.

Personally, as a physics student, I find that LC Higher Level maths is quite essential particularly in more advanced modules later on. I took some of the same modules that pure maths students took (but that's because I chose the higher maths option) and I found that they really help for the physics classes I'm taking - just a personal opinion though, not everyone would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Well for Physics with Astronomy and Space Science and Computer Science you have an a choice as to what you type of maths courses you want to choose. Usually, there's a higher and ordinary level maths in UCD Science (a bit like for the way it's decided up for the LC).

This. I chose the lower one, it's grand. You'll be fine*

*probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Conor108 wrote: »

*probably

But the higher certainly does helps in later years, I find.

• Advertisement

Personally, as a physics student, I find that LC Higher Level maths is quite essential particularly in more advanced modules later on. I took some of the same modules that pure maths students took (but that's because I chose the higher maths option) and I found that they really help for the physics classes I'm taking - just a personal opinion though, not everyone would agree.

That's cool to be able to pick higher or ordinary :D Thanks for the input.

Conor108 wrote: »

*probably

LOL I'll get back to you when I drop out after the 1st week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Computer Science....choice of maths modules....nope!!

Unless they've changed the the course already, I'm in 2nd year and the maths isn't terrible, more than do-able with help from your class and that. Definitely didn't get to choose a maths level. Maths modules are specifically aimed at computer science students now.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Currently a fourth year Comp Sci student. I was a pretty average student at maths. My biggest concern was would I struggle with my maths knowledge or lack of it. If this is your concern then I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're willing to learn and do the maths required in your course then you won't have a problem.

In the first semester of my course we got to do a good few basic introductory math classes such as Intro to maths/calculus which basically sets you up nicely with going over everything you learned from pre college maths. While many people view the Introduction to Mathematics module as a joke and one which many people skip since it's so basic I wouldn't skip this module. I found it one of the best maths modules I did throughout my course. While most of the material in the course was basic easy stuff that I had no problems with. There was some elements to the course were it was nice to get a refresher on basic arithmetic and algebra as it's core to any maths subject.

Most people that have problems with maths is because they fail to have a good understanding of the basic stuff and once content builds on top of this basic understanding is were people fall apart in maths. A building constructed on a unstable foundation is destined to fail than one build on a stable foundation. Also some of the maths modules that I found particularly helpful in the field of Comp Sci are Matrices and Vectors and Graphs and Networks module.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Current first year Science BBB student.. I also did ordinary level maths for the leaving cert.. i got an A1 which means i couldnt pick the foundations of maths module. I had to go straight into linear algebra for science.
    It was very fast paced. And dealt with matrices and vectors. Being an ordinary level maths student i hadnt got a clue what these were.. theres a maths support centre in the chemistry science building and it was a great help.. so dont worry at all about your maths ability.. if youre willing to put in the work youll be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bigred100 wrote: »
    Computer Science....choice of maths modules....nope!!

Unless they've changed the the course already, I'm in 2nd year and the maths isn't terrible, more than do-able with help from your class and that. Definitely didn't get to choose a maths level. Maths modules are specifically aimed at computer science students now.

It changed last year for CS, I had to take Calculus 1 & 2 and Matrices and Vectors in first year, and three maths modules in second semester, you guys had much more CS focused maths.

Advertisement