Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Tsukimi wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I got my confirmation of payment today and they said that if I need a medical to let them know....how do we know what jobs require a medical over in Canada?!

Also, anyone have any idea how long the last phase should take? I know they say 6 weeks but SURELY it can't take that long! I wanna go ASAP!

Mine took 9 weeks to process last year, so wouldn't be getting too excited yet

My Garda cert finally arrived in Vancouver, should be able to post my application off later today after work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

C@non wrote: »
    Im sure you are rite about all that, i remember last year the same happened.. i hoped it would be faster this year as my visa expires at the end of march :(

Well if it makes you feel any better mine expires THIS monday 23rd !!!! :( lol so dont worry Im sure you will have it waaaaay before then.

My BF's took a total of only 4 weeks last year from start to finish and we sent it from Toronto.!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

orgaz wrote: »
    Well if it makes you feel any better mine expires THIS monday 23rd !!!! :( lol so dont worry Im sure you will have it waaaaay before then.

My BF's took a total of only 4 weeks last year from start to finish and we sent it from Toronto.!!!

oh no so what are you going to do? cross over the border and then come back as a tourist?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Hey guys,

So I got my confirmation of payment today and they said that if I need a medical to let them know....how do we know what jobs require a medical over in Canada?!

Also, anyone have any idea how long the last phase should take? I know they say 6 weeks but SURELY it can't take that long! I wanna go ASAP!

So they havent asked for anymore forms? What jobs require a medical?? Weve booked our flights for the 19th of March, too excited now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

So for those of you that have already sent in your applications did ye include these forms*? Or did ye only send in the forms that were included in the set1/set2 instructions?

*From "Read the CIC Instruction Guide very carefully, as incomplete applications will not be accepted by the Visa Section and your application may be refused as a result."

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d#Set1

• Application For Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM 1295)
    • Document Checklist (IMM 5488)
    • Family Information (IMM 5645)
    • Schedule 1 Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 ─ Schedule 1)
    • Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409)
    • Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)

I have everything done and went through the instructions so I am just unsure of whether I need to include these forms with my application even if they don't apply to me. I really wish they would make things a bit more coherent. I didn't fill out anything like this last year but I just want to make sure. I filled out the Family info one and the Medical Examination form since it was included on the actual instructions of the IEC website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Those of you who have been asked for payment/told that your applications are ok, did you include the checklist as per the post above this?

I don't think that's for us. I didn't send it in. As far as I can understand, the steps 1-9 on the IEC page are for us and that's it.

That direction to the CIC website is misleading.

You agree?

kraggy wrote: »
    Those of you who have been asked for payment/told that your applications are ok, did you include the checklist as per the post above this?

I don't think that's for us. I didn't send it in. As far as I can understand, the steps 1-9 on the IEC page are for us and that's it.

You agree?

I just included what they have in the steps on their site

You had to include a checklist last year, but there was no mention of it this year

Edit: Just saw you were asking for people who had been accepted. I literally just filled my forms out now

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

To all UK Citizen applicants, who have:

-Applied for IEC 2012
    -Been accepted to the IEC 2012

This is quoted from the list of requirements to be eligible for the IEC program:
    be a citizen of the United Kingdom and be able to demonstrate habitual residency (i.e. physically living) in the UK for at least three years directly prior to your application to the IEC

Now I must admit I have read this before, but I've been so eager to apply for the IEC that I have just built up my application process anyway.

The problem is with this quote, that for the last 16 months I have been in Asia & Australia on a Working Holiday Visa. Now according to this requirement, I'd have to stay in the UK for 3 years and then apply for the IEC. Which means if I'm understanding correctly, I wouldn't be eligible until IEC 2015!

Which to me seems quite ridiculous.

Has anyone had any trouble with this requirement? And if so is there any alternative? I have not properly researched any alternative to the IEC. Will have a look.

Any help, experience, or interpretations, always appreciated.

Now a very scared, worried, JCJames :confused:

PS: I've not sent my application away yet, so looking for other legitimate ways to enter the country and work, and make use of my application paperwork. Just incase.

...I got my aussie police check after about 4 weeks. And that was over xmas so it should be a bit quicker for you at this stage.

Hey Speri, could I ask you to read my post above regarding the UK-Citizen eligibility please.

May I ask how long ago did you travel in OZ? I'm thinking the quote about (about physically living in UK for 3 years) could be bypassed as technically, a 'Working Holiday Visa' in OZ is the same as the IEC in Canada. As in, although I have not been physically living in UK 3 years directly prior to applying for IEC, I was technically travelling through OZ, not living there.

Also please keep me updated about your application progress. I'm starting to worry, AGAIN! Probably too much. So hard not too... eugh. :(

BINGO

I just answered my own question, but I think it's an important one to post.
    What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time directly prior to applying to the IEC. An exception can be made if the candidate has temporarily resided in a foreign country for studies or short-term work, but the time spent outside the UK must not exceed 18 months cumulative over the three previous years.

Found on the IEC FAQ page.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »

You agree?
    Checklist is not for us. I never included it and my application has been accepted! :-)

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Mine took 9 weeks to process last year, so wouldn't be getting too excited yet

My Garda cert finally arrived in Vancouver, should be able to post my application off later today after work :)

9 weeks in total from the date u sent it in or just for the last phase??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

No I dont think so. I've only lived in Canada for a year (2011) so I've lived in Ireland for 24 months out of the last three years....does this sound right to you?

Hey SOS, I'm the same as you. If I'm reading you correctly - you've been in Canada a year on the usit visa, you already have your 1st IEC visa and now you're considering applying for your 2nd one (to have it ready for next year?)

If so, I'm in the same boat. I am going to apply asap for my 2nd year IEC (to use next year after this year's is up) and if I do it in the next 4-5 months I will still be within the 18 months rule.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 soundofsounds

Kimia wrote: »
    Hey SOS, I'm the same as you. If I'm reading you correctly - you've been in Canada a year on the usit visa, you already have your 1st IEC visa and now you're considering applying for your 2nd one (to have it ready for next year?)

If so, I'm in the same boat. I am going to apply asap for my 2nd year IEC (to use next year after this year's is up) and if I do it in the next 4-5 months I will still be within the 18 months rule.

Hope this helps!

Yep your reading it exactly right! That's my plan too....as long as I apply before June/July (going to apply asap anyway), there should be no issues regarding the 18month rule! Thanks for putting my mind at ease :)

9 weeks in total from the date u sent it in or just for the last phase??

9 weeks for the last phase

I mailed my application on Jan 18th last year and got the visa on March 13th...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speri_mental

JCJames wrote: »
    Hey Speri, could I ask you to read my post above regarding the UK-Citizen eligibility please.

May I ask how long ago did you travel in OZ? I'm thinking the quote about (about physically living in UK for 3 years) could be bypassed as technically, a 'Working Holiday Visa' in OZ is the same as the IEC in Canada. As in, although I have not been physically living in UK 3 years directly prior to applying for IEC, I was technically travelling through OZ, not living there.

Also please keep me updated about your application progress. I'm starting to worry, AGAIN! Probably too much. So hard not too... eugh. :(

Hey JC sorry i only saw your post now. Tbh I haven't come across this section before, but it looks like you've got yourself sorted. They can hardly expect us to stay put for 3 years prior to applying. I was in Oz just for the year anyway.

Ive just booked my flights literally 2 minutes ago so iv'e got my fingers crossed that everything runs smoothly. I'm leaving in 3 weeks time so i really hope i get some sort of confirmation before i leave! Got my ESTA sorted for the states anyway.

Luckily I wont have to worry too much about not working for the first few weeks because il be living with the boyf's family. Living rent free is always a godsend. Would be nice to get some volunteer work though just to keep busy.

Hope it's going alright for you. I'm having sleepless nights here just hoping everything will go to plan! eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    9 weeks for the last phase

I mailed my application on Jan 18th last year and got the visa on March 13th...

Then thats 9 weeks in total, not for the last phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Got my e-mail to say that payment was received today, and that it's been put through for second phase review... 6 weeks tops wait now ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive been told i will be rejected on the 18 month rule.
    Having initially been informed that it wasn't a steadfast rule, more a way to weed out bogus applicants, it appears they are not giving an inch with it. time to look at other options to try and stay here.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Toros 115

Hi,
    I have applied for my IEC visa, they have received it but it has not been processes. I have my flights booked for mid Feb so I def wont have it in time. I only have a one way flight booked. Will I be ok travelling in without my LOI ? Is there anyone out there who has already done this. Any help is much appreciated.

regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Colin Hayle

Hey, just looking at the instructions on the checklist there. it says that you need to also print of the page(s) with the barcodes on them and send them off as well. The barcodes are appearing for the second form (1295) but not the first one (5645). Someone else asked this question at the beginning of the thread but it was never answered. Thanks in advance!

Hey, just looking at the instructions on the checklist there. it says that you need to also print of the page(s) with the barcodes on them and send them off as well. The barcodes are appearing for the second form (1295) but not the first one (5645). Someone else asked this question at the beginning of the thread but it was never answered. Thanks in advance!

Theres only barcodes on the second form, the others don't have barcodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Theres barcodes on the declarations one aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi,

Can someone answer my probably stupid question. : )If i apply for 2012 IEC Programme and I am sucessful in getting a visa. When does the one year start. Like does it start when the forms are processed or when i enter Canada. Also whats the latest date I can go to Canada to avail of a whole year. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you get a year to enter Canada and a year to stay from when you enter

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

They might be there when you go to print the form....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Colin Hayle

Cheers Ciara, just wanted to make sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Anyone have any predictions as to when this will close this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

jd83 wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions as to when this will close this year

Don't think it closed until september last year so no reason to think it won't be the same this year or maybe a couple of months earlier. Check out this link for updates with regards how many places are left.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

itll probably take longer this year since they're rejecting people based on the 18 month rule

Advertisement