Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tsukimi

Hey guys- after all the stupid drama involved in getting this difficult visa I finally got my letter of introduction this morning.

Going to book my flights tonight and will be arriving in Toronto in 3 weeks!!

retalivity wrote: »
    macJc wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Sent my application package of and they recieved it 3 weeks ago today. Still havent got any confirmation e-mail and getting extremely impatient..
    How long has everybody else been waiting? i no it arrived at there office on the 12th because I tracked the post, and checked my email about ten times a day for the following week thinking id get confirmation a day or two later :o.........

I am exactly the same. Same dates it arrived, no email or nothing yet.
    I dont know what can possibly be done, someone mentioned to email them with URGENT in the headline, but I don't know how successful that would be

I emailed them three times and no response. And then I emailed them with URGENT in the title and got a response within an hour or so. ;)) just don't flah it lads and please only use it if it is urgent otherwise when we do need to contact them urgently we won't be able to!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Tsukimi wrote: »
    Hey guys- after all the stupid drama involved in getting this difficult visa I finally got my letter of introduction this morning.

Going to book my flights tonight and will be arriving in Toronto in 3 weeks!!

congrats

If you are thinking of doing a second year, then why not hold off a little while before leaving?

Just thinking, if you were applying again next year, then you'd have a serious worry with your visa running out and having to come home before getting another one

seems to have happened to a few people this year

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    congrats

If you are thinking of doing a second year, then why not hold off a little while before leaving?

Just thinking, if you were applying again next year, then you'd have a serious worry with your visa running out and having to come home before getting another one

seems to have happened to a few people this year

Yeah but my friends left on Monday to go out there, and I literally can't wait any longer haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

dont activate it til you get a job...go in on a tourist visa for a few months. That way, if you dont activiate it til april or sometime, you wont have to worry about your second year visa til april next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

retalivity wrote: »
    dont activate it til you get a job...go in on a tourist visa for a few months. That way, if you dont activiate it til april or sometime, you wont have to worry about your second year visa til april next year

How dya get a tourist visa?
    But if we get jobs do we not need to show the employer our visa and then get a social security number etc...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

How dya get a tourist visa?
    But if we get jobs do we not need to show the employer our visa and then get a social security number etc...??

you get a tourist visa by entering the country as a tourist. theyll ask what you're over for, you say you're on holiday and you're gonna hit the states in a month or so when you're done

then you look for work, when it looks like you're getting interest and lining up interviews etc, you go to the states side of niagara falls for a day and when you come back you activate your IEC, and your year starts from that date

I arrived in Van in June, didn't activate my visa until August, I'd highly recommend it

You may have to provide proof you can support yourself at immigration, the guy behind the counter seemed a bit dubious about letting me through, but backed down when I explained the situation to him

I showed him a bank statement to show I had the cash to support myself for a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Is there any time limit on a holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

I arrived in Van in June, didn't activate my visa until August, I'd highly recommend it

You may have to provide proof you can support yourself at immigration, the guy behind the counter seemed a bit dubious about letting me through, but backed down when I explained the situation to him

I showed him a bank statement to show I had the cash to support myself for a few months

What do you mean you explained the situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭galwaygal27

macJc wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Sent my application package of and they recieved it 3 weeks ago today. Still havent got any confirmation e-mail and getting extremely impatient..
    How long has everybody else been waiting? i no it arrived at there office on the 12th because I tracked the post, and checked my email about ten times a day for the following week thinking id get confirmation a day or two later :o.........
    Should I just relax or start investigating the wereabouts of it?
    same with us, we posted ours on the 17th Jan and haven't heard a thing, really freaking out! some people got their confirmation email straight away!! hate not knowing :(

What do you mean you explained the situation?

That I had no intention of working, just wanted to have a holiday for a month or two

They'll want to see proof you have enough to support yourself without working

Is there any time limit on a holiday visa?

3 months i think

AFAIK it's six months

Helix wrote: »
    you get a tourist visa by entering the country as a tourist. theyll ask what you're over for, you say you're on holiday and you're gonna hit the states in a month or so when you're done

then you look for work, when it looks like you're getting interest and lining up interviews etc, you go to the states side of niagara falls for a day and when you come back you activate your IEC, and your year starts from that date
    So do you apply for your social insurance number when you start your visa? like, when you have interviews, you go state side for a day, activate your visa when you come back into the country and then apply for social insurance number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CliodhnaB

You have to have your visa to get your SIN number. Id just get your visa when you land.. Its what I did.. I took a months holiday when I got here and just casually applied for jobs went for a interview and started the next day... I dunno its personal preference..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ciankid22

So do you apply for your social insurance number when you start your visa? like, when you have interviews, you go state side for a day, activate your visa when you come back into the country and then apply for social insurance number?

Yep you apply for your SIN when you get your visa. You can get your visa at the border in the morning and then you can go get your SIN straight away when you get back. Just tell your employers at interviews that you have a visa and SIN, then when you get an offer for a job head straight for the border.

I am going in on a tourist visa for about a month or so because dont want to go through the stress next year of cutting it too close to get another visa. No point wasting a month of the working visa when your just going to be boozin and looking for jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CliodhnaB

Ciankid22 wrote: »

Yep you apply for your SIN when you get your visa. You can get your visa at the border in the morning and then you can go get your SIN straight away when you get back. Just tell your employers at interviews that you have a visa and SIN, then when you get an offer for a job head straight for the border.

I am going in on a tourist visa for about a month or so because dont want to go through the stress next year of cutting it too close to get another visa. No point wasting a month of the working visa when your just going to be boozin and looking for jobs.

From what I have experienced employeers take photocopies of your visa and sin. I went for 2 interviews and both requested to see mine and took copies! But im in Van could be dif over East!

AFAIK it's six months

if its like the states theyll only give you 3 there and then, you have to specifically ask for 6, in which case they'll definitely ask to see proof of funding, and they require $50 a day i think, so that's $9150 you'll need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bertocon

Even tho ive sent them proof that my payment was made exactly how they requested, and had my bank to trace it and confirm it reached the account, they sent me a rejection letter on the grounds of non payment and will not respond to my emails.

If I need to reapply, I have to wait for my police cert to be sent to me in canada and i was wondering how quick after the rejection did anyone receive their applications back???

At this stage, after all the bullsh** ive been through with these ignorant people, somethings telling me canada can go f*** itsself. why have these idiots such a messed up system when Australian visas can be issued in a number of days? less than 24 hours if british...

Does anyone know how long my rejected application should be?

Also if i reapply how do i change the way i make payment next time when i did everything perfect and it wasnt good enough?

• Advertisement

whats happening to these payments they say they arent getting? are yis getting refunds or is the money not going anywhere? id be more concerned with that to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

if its like the states theyll only give you 3 there and then, you have to specifically ask for 6, in which case they'll definitely ask to see proof of funding, and they require $50 a day i think, so that's $9150 you'll need
    Nope, visitor status is six months, just got it two weeks ago without asking for it. No proof of funding either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cameragal

Hi guys, I paid on February 24th and I still haven't got any confirmation of payment. I mailed twice with urgent in the title but haven't got a response. Any ideas on what to do now? I'm worried because so many seem to to have had problems with their payments. I'm so annoyed with this whole proccess. I sent my application on Decemeber 23rd and it seems that many who sent it around that time already have their LOI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cally112

Hey everyone,

just a quick question! I sent off my application on the 17th of Jan by registered post. They definitely got it, judging by the tracking online. I still haven't received an e-mail confirming they have though! How long did it take people to receive this e-mail?

It'll be three weeks this monday when it was sent!

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

whats happening to these payments they say they arent getting? are yis getting refunds or is the money not going anywhere? id be more concerned with that to be honest

That's my biggest concern right now too.

Bunch of cowboys tbh.

cally112 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

just a quick question! I sent off my application on the 17th of Jan by registered post. They definitely got it, judging by the tracking online. I still haven't received an e-mail confirming they have though! How long did it take people to receive this e-mail?

Hiya we are in the same boat as you, posted ours on the 17th too, and not a word since. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cally112

cally112 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Hiya we are in the same boat as you, posted ours on the 17th too, and not a word since. :(

Oh cool!! Least i know someone else is in the place! Hopefully we heard somethin back soon!!

I'll keep updated so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It really is a shambles.
    I thought last year was bad, this year is a complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Ha ha... The IEC scheme administrators are a joke... They refuse to offer a phone number for enquiries and ignore practically all emails sent to them. Big issue which I suspect has caught them out is that they decided they didn't need any proof of payment but didn't have the intelligence to request that people put some sort of identifying description against the electronic payment. Now they have a mess - lots of payments that they don't know who they belong to. Pure idiots! I'd love to drop into the London embassy and say this directly to them.

Advertisement