Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Lenny wrote: »
    Was hoping to apply for the IEC with the missus there last week, it was at about four hundred, but had not been updated since the 3/05, and I look today and the ammount of places it has left is 131.. her passport is in date until Feb 2014, so she was going to apply for a new one and then apply for the visa I take it its too late now?
    and when that number reaches 0, is there no spots for this year, or can yea still apply for jan next year?

There is no harm in applying but I would do it as soon as possible because the number is running out. Waiting for a new passport will take too long and anyway your passport still has enough time left on it. After it reaches 0 there is "technically" no spaces left. I say technically because I believe the number of visa's is reduced on the website as soon as they scan the barcode page of the application. If the visa office rejects an application for some reason they send it back and they increase the number of visa's left on the website.

As soon as spots run out or they stop accepting applications you have to wait until they open the program again either in December or next January before applying.

yea I was thinking they could just higher the quota alright, or maybe when people are returning home it could free up some spaces. Just gonna be a pain waiting on her passport she only sending it off tomorrow..
    Just so I get it right..
    I apply,
    I get confirmation
    I get reuqest for payment,
    I send payment.
    goes to another stage,
    then if I get the visa do they give me a date. or can I pick my own date for when it starts(I haven't booked flights or anything)
    Would be hoping to head off around oct/nov

When you get your Letter of Introduction you then have a year to activate it. So, for example, if you get the LOI on the 19th of July, you would have
    until the 18th of July 2013 to activate it. If you activate it on the 18th of July 2013 you can stay in Canada until the 18th of July 2014. To activate the visa you present the LOI to border control in Canada and they issue you your work permit and stable it into your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesA1984

what are you going to do? storm the embassy? Even if you do get past the armed guards, the security camera and the laser system there is still the double bolted cryptonite plated nucler bomb proof door in to Room 514.

Seriously though unless you have offical business in the embassy or you're canadian they probably wont let you through the front gate.

I didn't think it would be gated - a lot of the embassies in London seemed walk-in from the street, sure they must have a reception desk?

I remember my friend walked into the NZ embassy and spoke to them when he applied for his WHV although I understand the Canadian process is a whole lot more faceless. If it does go over the 6 weeks for the final stage and do go, I'll let people know the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Fair enough, go for it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Eutow wrote: »
    There is no harm in applying but I would do it as soon as possible because the number is running out. Waiting for a new passport will take too long and anyway your passport still has enough time left on it. After it reaches 0 there is "technically" no spiaces left. I say technically because I believe the number of visa's is reduced on the website as soon as they scan the barcode page of the application. If the visa office rejects an application for some reason they send it back and they increase the number of visa's left on the website.

As soon as spots run out or they stop accepting applications you have to wait until they open the program again either in December or next January before applying.
    Well if we planed to go novemer 2012 her passport would not be valid for 6months for the return, do you think we should apply with copies of her old passport, and apply for a new one in the mean time? Just think that would cause problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

Well if we planed to go novemer 2012 her passport would not be valid for 6months for the return, do you think we should apply with copies of her old passport, and apply for a new one in the mean time? Just think that would cause problems

Ya go for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Agro Head wrote: »
    Ya go for it.

Is just hate to be after arriving there with the new passport, which woukd prob have a a different passport number to the old one that was applied for, they don't have any telephone.numbers I can even ring them on the query do they?
    Only sending off the garda clearance today, so with passport express that could come within a week too

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

Is just hate to be after arriving there with the new passport, which woukd prob have a a different passport number to the old one that was applied for, they don't have any telephone.numbers I can even ring them on the query do they?
    Only sending off the garda clearance today, so with passport express that could come within a week too

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere on this board that the passport number doesn't matter. I think you might be leaving it too late if you wait for the new passport anyway so you've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

We posted ours on the 9th May by registered. When I checked the tracker it said it was undelivered as they attempted delivery on a saturday! Major panic. Got through to the embassy on Monday and they said they were not responsible unless it was with them. Luckily someone had rang for re-delivery so it must have gotten to them.
    We got conformation of receipt on Tuesday 15th - 6 days after posting including a weekend. Anyone who wants to apply do it straight away, you might get lucky.
    Mt WTN is just under 6100 - so about 700 visas before us have gotten rejected.

Lenny - Re passports - you need to use the same passport for you application as you do for when you arrive. From the website "Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 12 months plus the processing time plus one day posted on our website. If you need to renew your passport in order to meet this requirement, you must do so before submitting your application." http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

It is what delayed us with our application.

Yea, ok. She has applied this morning for the new passport. It'd be handier if we wanted to stay a 2nd year.

• Advertisement

Only sending off the garda clearance today, so with passport express that could come within a week too.

As long as her passport is in date for the full amount of time you plan to stay there you should be fine. It says it here on the IEC website:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d#Passports

You can apply for a new passport when you are over there if you plan to stay for another year. If you apply for the IEC now and you use the old passport this is the one you will have to use when you send your application off and when you present your LOI to the Canadian Authorities. They go by the passport number.

You can't ring them either, I've tried that before and they also don't respond to e-mails. I warn you, they are very incompetent and the whole process is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

I entered Canada today on a tourist visa, while waiting on my LOI, and let me just say getting through immigration was a lot tougher than I expected.

I was asked by the border patrol officer if I ever intended working in Canada during my stay, I thought it best not to lie seeing as I read on here that the immigration people can actually see on their computers if you applied for an work visa and didn't want to be banned from entering the country for giving a false declaration. Then he launched into loads of questions about my funds, complained that most money had been lodged into my account only a week ago (I keep most of my money in my credit union and just transfered it into the bank last week for Canada), Then asked me what was to stop me from working now on a tourist visa while I was waiting seeing as I already "have intentions to work".

Then I was accused of trying to illegally immigrate into Canada because "we all know about the economic situation over in Ireland at the minute and lots of people are taking advantage of the IEC visa to illegally immigrate to Ireland" Then he asked my parent's occupations (which I found irrelevant) and also asked if they had been employed throughout the entire recession or if they experienced any unemployment.

My friend got through ok in about 5 minutes but my guy kept me around 20 minutes asking me every question under the sun before he let me through. True these kind of border security personnel could be in the minority, just be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Hey guys, thank god I found this thread!
    Planning on heading over to Toronto in the next few months, depending on how long it takes to get everything sorted!

I'm just a little bit confused tbh.
    So if I could just get someone on here to confirm what I'm doing is correct I'd be delighted!

Are these the only 4 forms I need to fill out?

IEC Application and Declarations form

Application for work permit made outside of Canada (IMM1295)

Family Information form (IMM5645)

Medical Examination Declaration
    (Tick a box)

I've already sorted out my Garda Clearance form.

Oh and another thing; the section on the form (IMM1295) that says "Employment" how should I fill that out? I'm not working at the moment and any work I have ever done has been work experience, should I just put "Not Working" and leave it at that without entering the city and stuff?

I really do appreciate any information etc. on this!

Cheers lads!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jipoze

C@non wrote: »
    on the initial application forms that we all filled out for the 2012 IEC when you click validate on one of the forms it created a reference number on the top rite in a small little box.

Hi

I'm trying to get a reference number for my IEC application ,

but nothing comes up. The Little box at the top right is completely EMPTY !!! what do I do?

I've hit validate and it has said that the form is valid but it doesn't give me a reference number.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 megarhandi

I applied foe the IEC in January and have not received my LOI yet. Is anyone else in the same boat???

Panthro wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm sure this is a silly question but Medical Cert, do we need to fill one out?
    I've clicked on this and its not really clear if I should be sending one or not.

If you're born in Ireland and you are not working in the medical industry (or any other industry that's socially intensive food industry , social care etc..) you do not need a medical exam.

You DO however need to to fill out the medical declaration form on this

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

Just tick NO and send it in with your other documents .

If you are not Irish or you will be working in those industries you will need to have a medical exam.

They have a list of hand-picked doctors in Ireland that will do it for you on their website.

Hope this helps !

Jipoze

megarhandi wrote: »
    I applied foe the IEC in January and have not received my LOI yet. Is anyone else in the same boat???

Stupid question whats an LOI???

an LOI is the letter of introduction

• Registered Users Posts: 45 toetatoe

megarhandi wrote: »
    Same here, applied mid January and still no LOI. Some joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 conorhaugh

Six of us are supposed to be going to Vancouver on May 29th, only two of us have been approved so far. The two approved actually went to the AIB and paid the €105 through a teller, the four as yet unapproved did it online. I know most of you are probably past that stage now but just a word of warning in case people still have to pay; I think it's worth paying in the bank to avoid potential f#ckups.

On another note, two of the lads decided to be incompetent and forget to send the electronic copy of the IMM1295 as well as their payment. Anything they can do to fix that or should they start from square one again? It's been over a month... Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

conorhaugh wrote: »
    Six of us are supposed to be going to Vancouver on May 29th, only two of us have been approved so far. The two approved actually went to the AIB and paid the €105 through a teller, the four as yet unapproved did it online. I know most of you are probably past that stage now but just a word of warning in case people still have to pay; I think it's worth paying in the bank to avoid potential f#ckups.

On another note, two of the lads decided to be incompetent and forget to send the electronic copy of the IMM1295 as well as their payment. Anything they can do to fix that or should they start from square one again? It's been over a month... Cheers :)

Hey I'm not past that stage so would be great to hear which bank you paid with and what you put in your description. Did you include the dashes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mtl2012

WasterEx wrote: »
    Hey guys, thank god I found this thread!
    Planning on heading over to Toronto in the next few months, depending on how long it takes to get everything sorted!

I'm just a little bit confused tbh.
    So if I could just get someone on here to confirm what I'm doing is correct I'd be delighted!

Are these the only 4 forms I need to fill out?

IEC Application and Declarations form

Application for work permit made outside of Canada (IMM1295)

Family Information form (IMM5645)

Medical Examination Declaration
    (Tick a box)

I've already sorted out my Garda Clearance form.

Oh and another thing; the section on the form (IMM1295) that says "Employment" how should I fill that out? I'm not working at the moment and any work I have ever done has been work experience, should I just put "Not Working" and leave it at that without entering the city and stuff?

I really do appreciate any information etc. on this!

Cheers lads!:D

Yes this is the 4 forms you need to fill, just make sure you send all 9 documents the website ireland.gc.ca asks for. Make sure when you print and put them in an enveloppe, put them in the same EXACT order they appear on the list. Don't forget to sign ANYTHING, and you should be grand. :)
    For form 1295, we were told to put everything in them (print extra 1295 forms, if you need extra lines, and leave the 1st line blank (as it is your present occupation/situation). Work experience is as important as paid work, as it means you gained experience in a certain field, at a certain period of time, even if it was unpaid, I guess it proves you could find employment in this industry. We were told by USIT to fill everything such as "looking for employment", "studying", "visiting China" etc. if we had gaps between jobs (or in your case work exp). so defo put it down, as during this period of time, you were not looking at the stars doing nothing, you were gaining valuable experience.
    Good luck with it all and post it soon by registered post to make sure they receive iit ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

Sacramento wrote: »
    I've been having a look at the numbers and at one point they went up, not sure how it works to be honest or how it could fluctuate like that.

That being said, you've nothing to lose by applying. If it reaches zero they may decide to throw on another 200 or more into the quota and take applications that arrived after it reached zero. Just a "what if" scenario but you never know!

I think how it works based on someone's elses thread on her before is that the number of places it shows on the website goes down after each application received, so the numbers going up is after some of those applications being rejected so really you should apply no matter what number of places it says, even if it says zero

bpoleary wrote: »
    you should apply no matter what number of places it says, even if it says zero

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 conorhaugh

jenniem01 wrote: »
    Hey I'm not past that stage so would be great to hear which bank you paid with and what you put in your description. Did you include the dashes etc?

Well I'm Bank of Ireland but the acct details they send you when they request the €105 are for an AIB acct so I went to my local AIB (I sound like an ad for AIB :D ) with 105 in cash and filled out the transfer form. There was a reference line on the form and I put my WTN there because that's where the bank lady said to put it! Can't remember if the dashes fit or not, you'll see when you're in the bank but I've been approved anyway so I don't think it's a problem either way! :) Good luck!

toetatoe wrote: »
    Same here, applied mid January and still no LOI. Some joke.

well, I;m not being rude or anything but it makes me feel a bit better to know that I'm not the only one. Best of luck to you. Did you make your payment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Hey guys,
    Separate question here.
    Last year i received got my LOI for Canada valid until early August this year.
    Due to various commitments i need to stay in Ireland til around october this year.
    I am thinking of taking a quick trip over to activate my visa/work permit but come back again few days later.
    Does anyone know if the border will take issue with such a quick visit this ?
    Do i have to apply for a SIN number when i get there or can i leave it til head over again?

lbj666 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Separate question here.
    Last year i received got my LOI for Canada valid until early August this year.
    Due to various commitments i need to stay in Ireland til around october this year.
    I am thinking of taking a quick trip over to activate my visa/work permit but come back again few days later.
    Does anyone know if the border will take issue with such a quick visit this ?
    Do i have to apply for a SIN number when i get there or can i leave it til head over again?

go for it.If it's not activated by August, you'll lose it. Once it is activated, they don't care what you do in the next 12 months. You can travel to the states, go back home for 11 months, go back and forth, it does not matter. If they do question you at the border, simply explain you had to go back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

mtl2012 wrote: »
    Yes this is the 4 forms you need to fill, just make sure you send all 9 documents the website ireland.gc.ca asks for. Make sure when you print and put them in an enveloppe, put them in the same EXACT order they appear on the list. Don't forget to sign ANYTHING, and you should be grand. :)
    For form 1295, we were told to put everything in them (print extra 1295 forms, if you need extra lines, and leave the 1st line blank (as it is your present occupation/situation). Work experience is as important as paid work, as it means you gained experience in a certain field, at a certain period of time, even if it was unpaid, I guess it proves you could find employment in this industry. We were told by USIT to fill everything such as "looking for employment", "studying", "visiting China" etc. if we had gaps between jobs (or in your case work exp). so defo put it down, as during this period of time, you were not looking at the stars doing nothing, you were gaining valuable experience.
    Good luck with it all and post it soon by registered post to make sure they receive iit ASAP!

Excellent! Thanks for replying, that's a big help :eek:
    Never would have guessed to put that down on it so thanks for sharing that! Hopefully all the visas won't be gone by the time they receive it!
    Cheers mate!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

mtl2012 wrote: »
    go for it.If it's not activated by August, you'll lose it. Once it is activated, they don't care what you do in the next 12 months. You can travel to the states, go back home for 11 months, go back and forth, it does not matter. If they do question you at the border, simply explain you had to go back home.

Ya there shouldnt be an issue, i'd just love to hear for someone who has done something similar , just to keep my mind at ease.

Advertisement