Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

Nolan14 wrote: »
    Just been talking to my cousins fiancee there he said get ur statement and on the monday if you have it by then send him all my money online to his account online and then that'll be all in dollers for when i arrive in canda i have my statement stating my fiances and then he had my money in his account all i got to do is take it out in town next day and put it in my account thats it :D is that ok to do??
    While you're all on the topic of money, how much do you think is the minimum amount to have when you first arrive there? I've been struggling for months on end to try and have a huge amount due to having to pay rent every month and provide for myself and I'm planning on going in the next three months, would a minimum of €5,000 be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roxybell

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if there is another way of getting a visa other than through usit or go for less, as they are all gone until dec. Or is that the quota for Irish Visas all gone? all visas were gone before i could get the garda certificate....
    Its all very confusing....
    any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 alanmc87

roxybell wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if there is another way of getting a visa other than through usit or go for less, as they are all gone until dec. Or is that the quota for Irish Visas all gone? all visas were gone before i could get the garda certificate....
    Its all very confusing....
    any input would be greatly appreciated!
    all visas are gone until dec i heard. prob no harm in sending the app but prob have to wait until dec.
    the forms can be confusin at first i had a nightmare sorting them out so id advise to read the step by step guide carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

alanmc87 wrote: »
    prob no harm in sending the app but prob have to wait until dec.

No point sending them in now it's just a waste of money as they will send them straight back. The IEC visas won't open up again until Dec/Jan I'd say there will be more visas than this year as it seems to be going up and up.

Think I've figured out what's taking mine soo long-getting police clearance from another country I stayed in must be holding things up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    No point sending them in now it's just a waste of money as they will send them straight back. The IEC visas won't open up again until Dec/Jan I'd say there will be more visas than this year as it seems to be going up and up.

Think I've figured out what's taking mine soo long-getting police clearance from another country I stayed in must be holding things up :/

You should have got your police clearence and sent it with your pack, so thats not holding you up.

• Advertisement

NoelAPM wrote: »
    You should have got your police clearence and sent it with your pack, so thats not holding you up.

Got my garda clearance from here so that's fine. I didn't have to get the police clearance from the other country myself(each one is different) only had to fill out a form with my previous addresses in that country and tick the box that gave permission to the Canadians to go get it. So everything is in correct order, it's just taking time :/

The link to the country I was in doesn't seem to be working at the moment but here's the main link that you are guided too

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 16 skbehan

Got my LOI at 1am this morning! I sent my application on the 28th May so it took about 5 and a half weeks in total. Now to look for cheap flights and insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 skbehan

Also I sent 4 electronic copies of my IMM1295 form to include my 10years work exp so no need to worry if you have done the same! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Well I got the all clear email yesterday.
    They got my application on the 28th May, so that was my time line from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Panthro wrote: »
    Well I got the all clear email yesterday.
    They got my application on the 28th May, so that was my time line from start to finish.

Congrats. Hopefully this will be me next year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I got an email on wednesday looking for additional information (uk police certificate), sent that off today via registered post so hope I will hear back next week about it. Mine was passed to CIC on the 15th June so hope I havent lost my place not due to this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dero11

hi guys,

just looking for a bit of insight to the world of canada
    ive been granted my visa and hope to be there soon, so wondering if anyone could tell me where's the best place to go to get work, getting house share,meeting people, is the cost of living expensive,any ideas. thought had loads of time now have visa its a realitly !!!
    anyone else i same boat ?
    any advice would be great

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

dero11 wrote: »
    hi guys,

just looking for a bit of insight to the world of canada
    ive been granted my visa and hope to be there soon, so wondering if anyone could tell me where's the best place to go to get work, getting house share,meeting people, is the cost of living expensive,any ideas. thought had loads of time now have visa its a realitly !!!
    anyone else i same boat ?
    any advice would be great

thanks

What do you work at or what do you want to do?
    Are you going to travel around for the year?

qualified in telecommunications, not interested in travelling to much at first more wanna work get few pound together and travel then maybe at later stage.
    any area really aswell

qualified in telecommunications, not interested in travelling to much at first more wanna work get few pound together and travel then maybe at later stage.
    any area really aswell

The further inland you go from Vancouver\toronto the easier it is to find jobs.
    I would suggest looking in Alberta (Calgary\Edmonton\Fort Mc Murray) or Saskatchewan (Saskatoon\Regina)

Use www.workopolis.com, www.monster.ca and www.kijiji.ca to find jobs
    You can also use kijij to find houseshares

nice 1 thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madmicky

Hi am new here just back from 4 years in Oz and like everyone else no jobs etc, was thinking of going/immigrating to Canada but this IEC seems to be like the Oz Working Holiday visa. I understand about the 3 year rule, but whats Canada's policy on people who have overstayed in Australia? would it be hard to get a real visa rather than one of these temporary holiday ones?

also does anyone know how hard it is to actually stay on in Canada legally on a real visa?

am a carpenter but been doing formwork for the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

skbehan wrote: »
    Got my LOI at 1am this morning! I sent my application on the 28th May so it took about 5 and a half weeks in total. Now to look for cheap flights and insurance!

Hey there, congratulations, I was actually at the following website, www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie, and according to them you can get insurance for as little as €175. Also, I have flights booked with Air Transat from London Gatwick to Toronto in November for just £199 sterling, which comes to about €240 euro, of course it all depends on what your plans are but I thought I'd fill you in one this if it was anyway helpfull

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pollynat

Hi there.

Does anyone know if you have to wait until your first visa expires, before going to the border to get 2nd year, or can I go at anytime now that I have the LOI? Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you have to wait. i tried to get a new visa through work a few years back and was told i had to wait til my current one expired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Just got my second IEC. Do I really have to go over the border to activate it?! Surely there's an immigration office in the city (Toronto) that will activate it for me?

It's not too much of a hassle for me, I'd just rather not have to go all the way to the border just to do that.

You have to cross the border. No way around it!

*still waiting for my visa*

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    You have to cross the border. No way around it!

*still waiting for my visa*

:/

Thought so. It's so annoying.

Yours shouldn't be long. I think they are processing them pretty quickly now that they are sold out. When did you send it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Anybody else get an email about them not receiving your digital copy of the IMM1295 form? (or whatever it's called!)

I got the email saying that I'd been passed to the second stage on the 7th June but then got an email stating the above on the 26th of June?

I sent the digital copy of the application when I received the notice to send it (around the end of May) and have sent it again when I received the email on the 26th???

Doesn this mean I have to wait another 6 weeks (at least!) from the 26th of June now!!!

Wanted to leave in September and thought applying at the start of May would leave me loads of time but maybe I'm wrong! (And this after getting my application I made in March rejected because of "insufficient print quality")

Such a mess of an application process!

Thought so. It's so annoying.

Yours shouldn't be long. I think they are processing them pretty quickly now that they are sold out. When did you send it in?

Are you far from the border? You could make a mini weekend break of it! :) Get to see some of the sights in the US for a day or two then cross back over.

It got passed to the second stage on the 6th June. Will be 5 weeks tomorrow so maybe this next week will be my lucky week!
    I stay up every night to after 1am as a lot of folks got their visas at that time so keep staying up just to check :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

leggit wrote: »
    Anybody else get an email about them not receiving your digital copy of the IMM1295 form? (or whatever it's called!)

I got the email saying that I'd been passed to the second stage on the 7th June but then got an email stating the above on the 26th of June?

I sent the digital copy of the application when I received the notice to send it (around the end of May) and have sent it again when I received the email on the 26th???

Doesn this mean I have to wait another 6 weeks (at least!) from the 26th of June now!!!

Wanted to leave in September and thought applying at the start of May would leave me loads of time but maybe I'm wrong! (And this after getting my application I made in March rejected because of "insufficient print quality")

Such a mess of an application process!

Hey Leggit, don't worry you shouldn't have to wait another 6 weeks. I had problems sending my electronic copy of my form too.

Go to the email that states you are now in "Phase 2" of the process. At the bottom of the letter it says something like "If you do not receive word from us within 6 weeks you can contact this email address"

Send your electronic copy to that email, in addition to replying to the email that asks for this. Remember to state your name, date of birth, application number etc.

I did this and basically send my e-copy about 4 times and it worked. Got my Letter of Introduction a day late of the 6 week deadline.

Goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

Hi all.

Query here for anyone that is, or has been, in Canada as a tourist, prior to starting their IEC.

I am just finishing up my 6th and final month on my tourist visa, and planning to head to a Canadian border soon to re-enter and activate my IEC 2012. Most likely I will go to Seattle.

My question is, do you have to stay in the USA for a certain period of time? Furthermore, do I have to get a USA visitor visa to enter, even for such a little time?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

JCJames wrote: »
    Hi all.

Query here for anyone that is, or has been, in Canada as a tourist, prior to starting their IEC.

I am just finishing up my 6th and final month on my tourist visa, and planning to head to a Canadian border soon to re-enter and activate my IEC 2012. Most likely I will go to Seattle.

My question is, do you have to stay in the USA for a certain period of time? Furthermore, do I have to get a USA visitor visa to enter, even for such a little time?

Many thanks.

Pretty sure you can just cross over and back again straightaway, probably won't need a visitor visa if you're doing that but if you're staying in Seattle for a few days then you will need one.

hi guys,
    just wondering is there any restrictions on an iec permit
    been granted it till july 2013
    can i just arrive and start work or what procedure i go from here ?

• Advertisement

hi guys,
    just wondering is there any restrictions on an iec permit
    been granted it till july 2013
    can i just arrive and start work or what procedure i go from here ?

you need to get a social insurance number so go to service canada with your passport and address
    you will need to get paid somehwere too so open a bank accountyou cans start working as soon as you have a SIN

Advertisement