Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV repair, Letterkenny area?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Have a TV that seems to have broken down, it's a Philips plasma (or maybe LCD, can't remember), but want to see if it's fixable. Anyone know of a decent spot to get it looked at? Ideally would cost nothing to check the TV then would go from there, not mad on the idea of paying to be told the TV is ****ed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

danthefan wrote: »
    Have a TV that seems to have broken down, it's a Philips plasma (or maybe LCD, can't remember), but want to see if it's fixable. Anyone know of a decent spot to get it looked at? Ideally would cost nothing to check the TV then would go from there, not mad on the idea of paying to be told the TV is ****ed.

Most broken plasmas = bin

The parts can cost more than the tv itself to fix

any idea on make/model/problem

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

It does take time to take an appliance apart to check if fixing it is viable, there's a guy in ramelton does a great job on repairs. Not sure if i am allowed to post details, PM if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

weeginger wrote: »
    Not sure if i am allowed to post details
    Just clarify this point.

If it's a business then its fine. Landline numbers for businesses are also fine but we dont allow mobile phone numbers to be posted.

If its just some guy doing a few "nixers" or working from his garage then I dont think he'd appreciate his name and number being posted up on an internet forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If I could get the details of that place in Ramelton so it would be great, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If you are interested, I took an LCD TV to Derry on Saturday and had it repaired there. Might be worthwhile giving the guy a call on 04871 262077. He is beside the Guildhall.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Just clarify this point.

If it's a business then its fine. Landline numbers for businesses are also fine but we dont allow mobile phone numbers to be posted.

If its just some guy doing a few "nixers" or working from his garage then I dont think he'd appreciate his name and number being posted up on an internet forum. :)

Cheers Muffler,

It's a legitimate business (self-employed guy). I don't know the business landline so I'll pm on the mobile, I've had good success (and importantly, good value) in getting amps, playstations, a stereo and a TV repaired with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Nice one, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cheers Muffler,

It's a legitimate business (self-employed guy). I don't know the business landline so I'll pm on the mobile, I've had good success (and importantly, good value) in getting amps, playstations, a stereo and a TV repaired with him.
    If he fixes playstation consoles I could be doing with the number myself - just to have it for future reference. Thanks.

muffler wrote: »
    If he fixes playstation consoles I could be doing with the number myself - just to have it for future reference. Thanks.

He fixes pretty much anything electrical (provided it's cheaper than replacing obviously). games consoles, nintendo DS, ghd straightners, cameras, guitar amps (I'm good at breaking things).

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I know alot of repair guys locally that hate to see Philips TVs coming at all, they are very poor in standard compared to years ago.

Lots of repair shops take a deposit that is taken off the repair bill.

You could be suprised though as sometimes a simple resistor that costs pennies fixes the problem yet the repair will cost you upto €100

I researched a philips plasma problem before and what I found was that a problem was known by them which would have cost 8c to do right per set, but was so widespread they just carried on manufacturing with the cheaper component. There are youtube videos on how to fix it but do not try it unless you know what you are at, there is much more going on in a plasma than you'd realise and serious power supplies etc

I have heard the guy in Ramelton is good though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

If it is a plasma, handle it very gently. Unlike LCDs, the screen has a thin sheet of glass. Transport it upright behind the front seats with plenty of soft packing around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I know alot of repair guys locally that hate to see Philips TVs coming at all, they are very poor in standard compared to years ago.

Lots of repair shops take a deposit that is taken off the repair bill.

You could be suprised though as sometimes a simple resistor that costs pennies fixes the problem yet the repair will cost you upto €100

I researched a philips plasma problem before and what I found was that a problem was known by them which would have cost 8c to do right per set, but was so widespread they just carried on manufacturing with the cheaper component. There are youtube videos on how to fix it but do not try it unless you know what you are at, there is much more going on in a plasma than you'd realise and serious power supplies etc

I have heard the guy in Ramelton is good though

Are you talking about the buzzing noise? I have a Philips Tv never again, total junk

• Registered Users Posts: 12 denisecr1

It does take time to take an appliance apart to check if fixing it is viable, there's a guy in ramelton does a great job on repairs. Not sure if i am allowed to post details, PM if you want.

Hi, could you PM me his number too please?
    Need a camera screen fixed (if its cheap enough to do it)

Advertisement