Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time volunteer.

• 19-12-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I will be volunteering to help search for a missing person tomorrow. The search involves walking a stretch of coast-line. This is a list of what I will be bringing with me. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice you feel may help
    1. Water-proof jacket and trousers
    2. Wellies
    3. Hi-viz jacket
    4. LED lights
    5. Water
    6. Gloves
    7. Food

I'll have my phone on me as well. As far as I know I'll be assigned a group that will be led by a member of the Civil Defence or Coast Guard.

Any tips on being a very good member of the group? I have no problem with walking etc. Just wondering if there's anything extra I can do to help.

Should I bring extra food?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

A good stick.

Spare socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Wellie are terrible and any good search manager will send people home if wearing them. They are terrible for grip especially on a shore search.

Bring plenty chocolate like Mars etc to boost the energy fast. Plenty water too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

What footwear would you recommend Hooch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Water-proof jacket and trousers
    Wellies- Waterproof laced leather boots. (gaiters are a personal preference thing)
    Hi-viz jacket
    LED lights. Head torch might be better.
    Water
    Gloves
    Food

Spare Socks
    Stick as a 3rd point of balance, and for knocking down brambles.
    Dress warm and then bring an extra fleece. Its very cold out there atm and I might even suggest a small thermos depending on the set up of the search.

Clothes for when you get back to the car.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

By the way, fair play for helping out with the search, particularly for taking the time to get prepared properly for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

what cg unit is involved with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Dress in layers, bring snacks. There will probably be grub if it's a CD search and loose the wellies for comfortable boots. Best of luck.

Advertisement