Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first HD music video-Canon 600d

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Decent first effort. Welcome to the club ;)

Did you grade it? What numbers are you basing the 140% on?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Thanks!
    By grading: I did use the 3 way color corrector on most clips just to nudge the colours a shade to the blue for the film look and upped contrast slightly. Minimal use of this though, just enough to get a better look than the original footage as I dont have a whole load of experience with grading.

140%: I made a recording of the song at 140% speed in premiere and saved it as an mp3. Darragh is playing the tune at this speed listening to a cd player which is out of shot and earphone in his left ear.(cable is visible I think in one of the shots if you look closely.)
    In Premiere I pushed every clip back to 71.43% speed. Its not immediately noticeable but it lends a subtle slowness which suits such a slow thoughtful song.

The song has a lot of oriental and irish phrases in it juxtaposed, which is why he named it Leon(my son is half Chinese-Irish, and called Leon)

I brought the wrong tripod on the day and some of the shots are jerky and not smooth. Also, I was trying to lean the camera on a diagonal tree branch as a dolly but very jerky too.

Any suggestions for good sites etc to learn more tips etc that will help me in my future videos? Mostly camera technique and special effects for music videos. I am pretty proficient in premiere and after effects but filming could be better.

Also, if you wanna see my previous 3 vids for Darragh, see links here below, they arent HD but shot on a Canon XM2 over the past year.

http://youtu.be/BEiVS93ehsw - the Juggler

http://youtu.be/RUaOzsbtKT0 - Clouds

http://youtu.be/B6gutJu_RbM - Sarabande(a piece by Bach)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Just wondering how you got the underwater shot.

Do you have a waterproof case for your camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

That was with a GoPro..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Nice shot!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was just testing out the gopro cam i got.no other reason to put such a gratuitous shot in the video.

the gopro comes with dofferent cases.one is waterproof to 60 metres. the other is open to allow access to the inputs and let wind blow through it if you have it stuck to a vehicle that is achieving more than a hundred miles an hour.

Nifty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Did you shoot in 60fps?

Cant remember I think I did shoot at 50fps alright. Thinking it would be smooth when I put the footage back to normal speed.
    Question: would it only be perfectly smooth, making a 25fps video, if you overcrank to 200% and shoot at 50fps`then slow footage to 100%? Its a clean multiple...
    What I did was overcrank to 140% and slow footage down to 71.43% to make it normal speed.....if Im making sense.

Main thing with 50/60fps is to ensure your editing software isn't just dropping the extra frames

how would one ensure this or know if its happening?

• Advertisement

If your not getting smooth slowdown its a dead giveaway. What software do you use?

premiere pro cs4. Bear in mind, I may have shot it in 25fps. Cant remember.

Advertisement