Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cycle Lane - Athlone

Options
  • 19-12-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me who gave the go ahead for the new cycle lane out past Fernhill towards Cornamaddy.

I have yet to see any cyclist use it - and I have seen 2-3 guys still cycling on the road which is now too narrow. Probably made the road worse for drivers and cyclists and pedestrian. Good way too spend money:mad:

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There was always a cycle lane on the school, Dept. of Education side. It was on the footpath. Is the new lane still there?
    There is a new lane on the other side of the road now though. Haven't noticed that it makes the road worse than other roads with that new lane. The old road was very wide in parts along there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi

Are there any pictures of this up on-line? There would be a view that the concept of segregated cycle facilities is very difficult to make work under typical Irish conditions. One drawback is that they are frequently more dangerous and/or inconvenient for the cyclists than staying on the road.

With regret, anyone who expects Irish cyclists to automatically use Irish cycle lanes is deeply mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Normal extra wide footpath with a white line down the middle, crossed by exits/entrances for vehicles into Tyco, Dept of Education and Asylum Centre.

Last time I passed it looked like a lane was being painted directly into the road outbound from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

whyulittle wrote: »
    Last time I passed it looked like a lane was being painted directly into the road outbound from town.

Only noticed this the other day, they scrubbed out the single broken line at the side of the road and painted new cycle lane lines either side of the old line.

Road is narrowed and any car I've seen drive out from town still seem to drive partially in the new cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

are you talking about the new raised cycle lane/footpath from Cormaddy school? I've been waiting years to see that and it's very welcome by me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

tubos wrote: »
    are you talking about the new raised cycle lane/footpath from Cormaddy school? I've been waiting years to see that and it's very welcome by me!

The new cycle lane is the other side of the road.

New path from Cornamaddy is definately a welcome addition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There is a cycle path in Leixlip that makes the road too narrow for cars...

You literally have to drive partly in the bike lane or partly on the wrong side of the road.

Hardly that hard to plan these things out, cutbacks making the measuring tape too short :P

Advertisement