Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cheapy new graphics card.

Options
  • 19-12-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

My desktop PC is a few years old now, but it's held up well. The one craptastic feature is the graphics card, an onboard NVIDIA GeForce 7050/nForce 610i. I have trouble even running games from the humble bundle such as Aquaria and Penumbra. The PSU is a pitiful 250w so that would have to be replaced too.
    I'm not really a "gamer" so what I was just looking for is a low-end dedicated graphics card and PSU to play WoW and the like.

Current specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHZ
    3gb ram
    NVIDIA Geforce 7050

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sweetafton

Hmmm, no answers. Guess I'll just go with a bargain-basement psu and cheap GPU :) This computer doesn't really deserve any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You don't even give what slot you have available or if its full size.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

a system that old we have to know if it has AGP or PCIx.

It's old enough to where you are losing a lot of Euro-value upgrading that box, versus buying or building a new one. You could for instance hang on to the PSU for the moment and buy a new processor and motherboard with an upgrade onboard GPU to keep you afloat, which will leave you plenty of headroom to install a modern graphics card when you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Q6600 isn't that old, I doubt they were still selling boards with AGP slots by then (Intel's first Core 2 chipsets were definitely all PCIe), but does it have a 16x slot?

from googling the socket and the onboard 7050 looks like a lot of motherboards on average had a pcix16 slot.

• Advertisement

I think the NVIDIA Geforce 7050 is on the motherboard. he may have no usuable slots.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think the NVIDIA Geforce 7050 is on the motherboard. he may have no usuable slots.
    If its a really shyte motherboard. Otherwise it's the northbridge IGP and it should have a slot (that's what she said)

Would it be a low profile case though?

BostonB wrote: »
    Would it be a low profile case though?
    Not necessarily, unless stated by the OP. Plenty of slimlines vary in what size motherboard they use. We're selling a slimline HP model right now that uses a full size ATX board, and a Full Size compaq tower that has a mini-ATX board in it (and THAT is a crock of **** with no slots on it). So it completely depends. Either way there are plenty of low profile options out there for a PCI-x upgrade.

Whats the best low profile gfx you can get.

Whats the slimline HP model?

• Advertisement

I didn't mean you personally, I meant if I went shopping for one for my own low profile system and wanted a GFX upgrade whats the best low profile gaming card you can get.

Last time I looked the consensus was all the low profile cards were pretty low end.

That doesn't look like a full sized ATX more like uATX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was looking at this for something recently. The best I found was a LP GT430 for about 40-50 euro, it's by no means a stellar card but it's about 20 times faster than an integrated 7050, if you look at Guru3Ds review it holds up OK in Modern Warfare 2 (2, not 3, for reference) at 1920x1200 max settings, I doubt the 7050 would string together 800x600 at low settings, by comparison.

Looks interesting alright.

http://www.guruht.com/2010/10/geforce-gt-430-vs-radeon-hd-5570-vs.html

Does it come with a half height back plane slot as the one in the review the back panel is full height.

Advertisement