Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - 2 pin PSU!

Options
  • 19-12-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

So, I have my shiny new silent pro M PSU, but only 2 pins!

Is it safe to plug it into a 3 pin convertor?

thanks - and hurry! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So, I have my shiny new silent pro M PSU, but only 2 pins!

Is it safe to plug it into a 3 pin convertor?

thanks - and hurry! :)

I take it you mean the wall socket power cable? If so then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it's a shaver converter, no, because these are only for low current. If it's one designed for high amps or just plain conversion, yes.

Was this komplett? I thought that they usually gave adapters. You can use the same type of lead from any PSU or monitor or electric kettle (do you have a PSU that you replaced?).

If you're really desperate, you could could put something into the top pin like a screwdriver or another plug upside down to open the holes for the two pins at the bottom. Be careful or you can kill yourself!
    Top pin = earth pin, opens shutters for bottom two pins. It's safe enough (unless someone has done terrible wiring!). Don't go poking around the bottom ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

DOH! Its the power kettle lead, so I have a hundred if those including the existing one, panic over thanks guys!

Less haste and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

One final question lads.
    My original PCI PSU to motherboard was a 6 pin. 2 pins were blanked out
    Now this new PSU has a 6+2 split PCI cable. I'm presuming I dont have to plug in the extra 2?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The graphics card? If there's 6 holes plug in the 6 pins, if there's 8 holes, plug in the whole 8-pin plug.

If it's the motherboard one that you're looking at that can be 4 or 8 pins, plug in whatever there's room for on the motherboard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement