Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a different job due to restructuring

Options
  • 19-12-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Due to "restructuring" my job has been made redundant and I have been lucky enough to be offered a different position within the same company. Some other people are not so lucky and I think this could be the first of more redundancies.

I have been saving to go travelling and I have only been with the company 3 years but as it is a US multinational I would receive a few months salary if I was made redundant. If i got redundancy payment it would allow me to go in the new year. Could I refuse the new position offered to me and claim redundancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

If you really want to travel (and it kind of sounds like you do), turn down the job if you don't really want it and if you don't see yourself staying there anyway.

I was in a similar position a few years ago. I turned down the job that was offered (which would have been more junior) and still got my redundancy money.

Definitely check with HR first though before you make your decision! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Buster wrote: »
    Could I refuse the new position offered to me and claim redundancy?

If it's a similar role with no reduction in the terms & conditions, then you may not be eligible for redundancy if you turn it down. Search www.citizensinformation.ie, they'll have more info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Definitely be careful...
    If you have been offered suitable alternative work and refuse it you are making yourself redundant and no payment is required...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

bbam wrote: »
    Definitely be careful...
    If you have been offered suitable alternative work and refuse it you are making yourself redundant and no payment is required...

Thanks all for your feedback. I have talked to a few people and done a bit more research and quote above seems to be general consensus.

Head down and continue to save money for another few months. And some more experience to add to my cv!

Advertisement