Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCHG Car Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

hondasam wrote: »
    One question springs to mind, why did you bring your car in the first place and how come you did not get someone to bring it home for you?
    AFAIK the car park has nothing to do with the hospital so the ward sister had no right to tell you anything.

Sure the poor lad had to sleep somewhere while waiting for his operation - Hospital staff are quietly encouraging people to bring in the car so they can kip there - It frees up corridors and trolleys no end! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

and I do hope when the rezoning issue comes up in the near future that everybody will get up an protest about how congested the area is at present and how another building (private) and more cars is NOT the correct path to take. We all know that those lot in the council would sell their grannies at the minute, which is what they are doing here. They have no consideration for any sick person there - their only care is for the money - bear in mind this will be a PRIVATE facility. So lets all be considerate and start protesting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

don't understand what this has to do with having a barney with a parking attendant.

It would be a better world if EVERYBODY was a bit more respectful and considerate of others. The OP has blatently stated that he/she would have organised the removal of the car on the night they were admitted. So it was possible to do that. Parking there for five days and nights, even tho its a well known problem that this carpark is a nightmare, was not to considerate, kind, or empathetic to anybody else looking for a space in there. Be honest the OP chose to keep the space, he has to pay for it. We can all do He Said/She Said arguments to prove our case. Nobody is special here - we all have take responsiblity and not blame others because you did not investigate the issue fully.

So let's be clear here. A patient i.e. a sick person who is vulnerable and in need of care is at fault because they should have made alternative parking arrangements? Perhaps when in hospital he had other things on his mind such as the fear of illness or maybe death? The patient most definitely is "special" here whether they "blatently (sic) stated" anything or not.

Whether he now has to pay for the space or not does not excuse that the position was misrepresented to him by the hospital and the hospital appointed operator abused him.

churchview wrote: »
    So let's be clear here. A patient i.e. a sick person who is vulnerable and in need of care is at fault because they should have made alternative parking arrangements? Perhaps when in hospital he had other things on his mind such as the fear of illness or maybe death? The patient most definitely is "special" here whether they "blatently (sic) stated" anything or not.

Whether he now has to pay for the space or not does not excuse that the position was misrepresented to him by the hospital and the hospital appointed operator abused him.

the OP blatently stated in his post that if he knew there was going to be "hassle" he would have organised to have his car taken away that night. i.e. if he know he had to pay he wouldn't have been long moving it.

If the OP was extremely sick I don't think he would have been driving in the first place. Do you??

It's a product of the celtic tiger era to make sure everyone is blamed but no self responsibility is needed - its about time people woke up.

What I feel sorry for is the person who couldn't actually get into the hospital because somebody else decided to park up for a few days, and then expected it for free.

reality bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

the OP blatently stated in his post that if he knew there was going to be "hassle" he would have organised to have his car taken away that night. i.e. if he know he had to pay he wouldn't have been long moving it.

If the OP was extremely sick I don't think he would have been driving in the first place. Do you??

It's a product of the celtic tiger era to make sure everyone is blamed but no self responsibility is needed - its about time people woke up.

What I feel sorry for is the person who couldn't actually get into the hospital because somebody else decided to park up for a few days, and then expected it for free.

reality bites.

Right I give up.

OP apparently "reality bites". Your behaviour is a product of the celtic tiger era. You may have been treated badly, had the position misrepresented to you by the hospital, been abused by a hospital appointee, but you should have taken responsibility and accepted that treatment because you chose to park in a car park.:rolleyes:

OK?

So all bets are off. Anyone who parks irresponsibly in the opinion of certain people deserves abuse.

I'm out of here.

OP. Good luck with your complaint. It will be taken seriously if you pursue it with the HSE, but be prepared for a long wait.

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    Right I give up.

OP apparently "reality bites". Your behaviour is a product of the celtic tiger era. You may have been treated badly, had the position misrepresented to you by the hospital, been abused by a hospital appointee, but you should have taken responsibility and accepted that treatment because you chose to park in a car park.:rolleyes:

OK?

So all bets are off. Anyone who parks irresponsibly in the opinion of certain people deserves abuse.

I'm out of here.

OP. Good luck with your complaint. It will be taken seriously if you pursue it with the HSE, but be prepared for a long wait.

on the contrary, I don't think it will - the OP only has to look at the CAr Park to find out the charges. Everything else is heresay. Sad but true.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

UCHG serves a wide catchment area. Some people drive from several hours away to attend an outpatient appointment, and it may be their only means of transportation - A bus to Eyre Square is feck all good if you have limited mobility and can neither walk to the hospital, or afford a taxi. If you are not from the city, trying to find a city bus that serves the hospital can be a trial. I've lived here over a decade and I would still have to look up what bus to get and where to get it from.

The OP attended what he thought was an outpatient appointment. He/ she was subsequently admitted for several days and was told not to worry about moving the car, by someone who seemed to know the drill, so they decided to concentrate on what was important - their health, and dealing with that the deterioration of their health that their admission to hospital warrented. I cannot say that I would have acted any differently.

I would much rather that patients who need to park in UCHG get priority over able-bodied staff or visitors that are well able to hop a bus or walk from town. I have attended several times in the last few months, and yes, parking is a nightmare, but at least I live in the city and am able bodied and therefore other options are open to me to use if I wish.

OP - write a letter to the crowd running the parking. Even if you were misinformed by the ward sister and should pay, poor customer service needs to be addressed. If you fail to get a reply then I would suggest a letter to the Galway Advertiser.

... and I wish you a speedy recovery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

reality bites.

You are some troll.....
    She had a major operation and all your bothered about is a car space.....Back under your bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

c_lady89 wrote: »
    You are some troll.....

Lads, stop feeding it ...

You are some troll.....
    She had a major operation and all your bothered about is a car space.....Back under your bridge.

sorry but can you explain why I am a troll? I am stating that the place is overcrowded - nowhere did i see anything about a MAJOR operation. The person, if you read the post, stated that he could have organised to take the car away once he knew he was staying in. Instead he decided to leave it there for five days, - he was shocked when he had to pay for the parking for five days. In the meantime people had to cancel appointments because they could not find any car parking space because of people who had their car parked there for days not using it. I just pointed out the obvious. If that makes me a troll then so be it. The truth is the truth - calling people a troll because you don't like the facts is a bit silly. but hey, if it makes you feel better.

the lesson to be learned here is, if you want to find out accurate information, call, or find the actual person running that operation - not someone who works in an entirely different occupation.

You wouldn't park on a road outside a shop and ask a person in a shop if it was okay to park on the road, would you, especially if there was a sign up saying 1.30 per hour or 8 euro per day to park. When you get your parking charge, are you saying that you don't have to pay because somebody in the shop told you it was okay to park??? The shopkeeper deals with his shop, the council deals with the road.

find out for yourself - stop blaming others - take responsiblity. The world will be a better place if people stop blaming others for their own responsibilities.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    UCHG serves a wide catchment area. Some people drive from several hours away to attend an outpatient appointment, and it may be their only means of transportation - A bus to Eyre Square is feck all good if you have limited mobility and can neither walk to the hospital, or afford a taxi. If you are not from the city, trying to find a city bus that serves the hospital can be a trial. I've lived here over a decade and I would still have to look up what bus to get and where to get it from.

The OP attended what he thought was an outpatient appointment. He/ she was subsequently admitted for several days and was told not to worry about moving the car, by someone who seemed to know the drill, so they decided to concentrate on what was important - their health, and dealing with that the deterioration of their health that their admission to hospital warrented. I cannot say that I would have acted any differently.

I would much rather that patients who need to park in UCHG get priority over able-bodied staff or visitors that are well able to hop a bus or walk from town. I have attended several times in the last few months, and yes, parking is a nightmare, but at least I live in the city and am able bodied and therefore other options are open to me to use if I wish.

OP - write a letter to the crowd running the parking. Even if you were misinformed by the ward sister and should pay, poor customer service needs to be addressed. If you fail to get a reply then I would suggest a letter to the Galway Advertiser.

... and I wish you a speedy recovery :)

yes I too agree with this. People should organise to have your car removed if you are in hospital for several days. This will make one car space available to maybe 6 or 7 outpatients/A and E visitors per day a chance to park instead of driving around looking for a space - multiply that by five days - that is 30 people that could have parked in that space. If people do insist on leaving their car in the car park then they should not be abhorred at the idea of paying the going rate. Its logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

sorry but can you explain why I am a troll? I am stating that the place is overcrowded - nowhere did i see anything about a MAJOR operation. The person, if you read the post, stated that he could have organised to take the car away once he knew he was staying in. Instead he decided to leave it there for five days, - he was shocked when he had to pay for the parking for five days. In the meantime people had to cancel appointments because they could not find any car parking space because of people who had their car parked there for days not using it. I just pointed out the obvious. If that makes me a troll then so be it. The truth is the truth - calling people a troll because you don't like the facts is a bit silly. but hey, if it makes you feel better.

the lesson to be learned here is, if you want to find out accurate information, call, or find the actual person running that operation - not someone who works in an entirely different occupation.

You wouldn't park on a road outside a shop and ask a person in a shop if it was okay to park on the road, would you, especially if there was a sign up saying 1.30 per hour or 8 euro per day to park. When you get your parking charge, are you saying that you don't have to pay because somebody in the shop told you it was okay to park??? The shopkeeper deals with his shop, the council deals with the road.

find out for yourself - stop blaming others - take responsiblity. The world will be a better place if people stop blaming others for their own responsibilities.

I know the story and i also know HER. your opinion has nothing to do with what was asked on the first place.

I know the story and i also know HER. your opinion has nothing to do with what was asked on the first place.

great, maybe you can explain the situation to her - she might see it more clearly then and remember for the future that if she wants to park, she has to pay. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

great, maybe you can explain the situation to her - she might see it more clearly then and remember for the future that if she wants to park, she has to pay. :rolleyes:

You know that's not the crux of the matter so give over!!!!:mad:

Can you answer straight whether it was appropriate for the rudeness visited to her???

You know that's not the crux of the matter so give over!!!!:mad:

Can you answer straight whether it was appropriate for the rudeness visited to her???

Can't answer that until the second party comes on here and gives their version of the "conversation". Until then, we only have one side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

fishy fishy banned for trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

hession wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with the main car park people in the hospital grounds,i think it ParkRite there called,

Don't know if things have changed in the interim but I was visiting hosp recently at the out patients department. There are about 7-8 disabled spaces there. Opposite these spaces there were about eight cars parked on double yellow lines. At the door to the entrance of the out patients section there are a further two disability spaces tucked away. These are not marked in blue however but I think they have a wheelchair painted in both spaces.

Lo and behold did I not see someone reverse in a jeep into one of the spaces and go into the small office (security office?) just beside the entrance to the outpatients. I looked at the jeep and there was no sign of any disabled sticker on it. Is that office for security? Are security officers allowed to park in disabled parking spaces? Why did they do nothing about the cars doubled parked? What is happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread.
    You can start a new one if needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement