Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag Science or Applied Maths

• 19-12-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I don't know which to choose! I do all 3 sciences and higer maths! I'm looking for another subject to do! I'll only do it if I feel i can get an A! If i was to do ag science I can do it after school with a teacher.. applied maths i would have to teach myself!

Help... which is easier for a lad who has no problem studying and is smart!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I guess both would be fine for you, having physics helps applied maths and biology helps ag science. do you do geography? i've heard that helps ag science too. i wouldnt want to teach myself a subject personally, so maybe opt for ag science, but you know best i'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I don't know which to choose! I do all 3 sciences and higer maths! I'm looking for another subject to do! I'll only do it if I feel i can get an A! If i was to do ag science I can do it after school with a teacher.. applied maths i would have to teach myself!

I'm teaching myself applied maths at the moment :) its ok , i was terrified at the start because i dont do physics so it was like double dutch :P but i find it really interesting now and i found some videos online to help me :) all i'm saying is that it is do-able :)
    couldnt tell you anything about ag science sorry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Personally I'd pick ag.Science as I'd be useless teaching myself a subject!!! I do applied maths and while it's handy enough I'd find it very difficult on my own!!! Go easy on the exclamation marks!!!!!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm doing applied maths as an extra subject albeit with a teacher. While it is a very interesting subject, I would imagine you would be hard pushed to get your A just teaching it to yourself.

That said, if you could find a teacher to do it with you, it is a very interesting subject and is a massive help to physics. I, like you, do the 3 sciences and HL Maths and applied maths makes physics problems seem very easy. The maths based questions of physics seem like pass applied maths questions after you've covered the topic in both subjects so in that regard, it's a big aid.

I'd imagine if you are doing the 3 sciences, you are probably a fairly smart guy so if you were to do ag. science, you'd walk it. I don't do it myself, but that is just the impression I've gotten off those who do.

Essentially, it's up to yourself. Best of luck with whatever route you choose.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

have you any idea what you want to do to after school, in college. if your going to do a general science degree or biology etc. i would pick ag science,
    if your going to do maths, physics, computers etc then do app maths.

its up to you but personally i think if you dont have a clue what to do in college and want to keep all windows open pick app maths.

also one quick question that should tell us more about yourself what is your favorite science subject?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

If you're not a country lad (into farming and the likes) you might find some parts of Ag science boring, and if you don't live on a farm you'll have to find one to do the project. No matter how smart you are, if you've no interest in the subject you'll get sick of it fair quick :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I taught myself Applied Maths and got an A1 in the leaving last year so it is possible. I found that doing AM helped with physics moreso than the other way around, and pretty much every mechanics question in physics will be simple after having done it. It did take up a lot of my time, but it was my favourite subject to study so I didn't really mind, although you will have to do many many exam questions by the time the LC comes round and sometimes they can be quite difficult and frustrating with nobody to ask so keep in mind that the internet can answer your questions most of the time. Also if you ever want to do anything physics/engineering/maths(incl. pure maths, in TCD at least) you will most likely have to take a mechanics module and having done AM made this much much easier for me.

Unfortunately I have no idea about Ag. Science though, best of luck with whatever you choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conor654123

What I want to do most in college is Business and Law.. But if that fails.. possibly Medicine or dentistry !!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

Ag science is a doddle, i do two hours of ag science a week and i am getting an A, and it is quite like biology,so a lot of it is overlapping, helpful for revision.

Advertisement