Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to insulate steel poles supporting windows in conservatory

Options
  • 19-12-2011 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have just put in passive windows and the are held in place with 100mm steel poles that have been wrapped in PVC to match the windows.

The problem is that they are cold bridge and even though they are wrapped in PVC they are very cold inside and leading to a lot of condensation.

Any ideas how to insulate or cover them on the outside so stop them getting so cold and the cold causing condensation. Are the moment we are thinking of getting matching PVC the same as the windows, cutting them to about an inch deep and filling them with expanding foam to insulate them.

ANy thoughts,

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Pipe lagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 knockboss

Thanks for that, have been researching and think maybe external insulation for that is used for external wall, putting some mesh on it then render it.
    What do you think ? Do you have any links for Irish sites that might have pipe lagging for sale ?

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

100 mm is already a big pipe so putting some armaflex on it could bring it to 150 -200 mm
    SYMBO might have some words re that:)

Can u post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭youtheman

I built an extension last year and there was a 4" box section at the corner (that was subsequently cladded with PVC). I got the builder to drill it and fill it with expanding foam (before and windows were installed). It obviously works 'cause I don't have and 'cold bridge' problems. Not sure what the 'U' value of expanding foam is, but my logic at the time was it was cheap, easy, and there did not seem to be any real alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

youtheman wrote: »
    I built an extension last year and there was a 4" box section at the corner (that was subsequently cladded with PVC). I got the builder to drill it and fill it with expanding foam (before and windows were installed). It obviously works 'cause I don't have and 'cold bridge' problems. Not sure what the 'U' value of expanding foam is, but my logic at the time was it was cheap, easy, and there did not seem to be any real alternative.

this seems like a good idea to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

youtheman wrote: »

Should of done that this year when I got my sun room done. Saying that I sized the rad to a tee and have it as a separate zone and it's holding it's own. Even with the last few cold nights it doesn't drop below 15oC during the night with the heating off and the set back temp is 14 on the stat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JPJ

How do you prevent a thermal bridge where a concrete post is bolted to the concrete raft? Is it necessary?
    The steel posts in the cavity are supporting steel beams which are supporting hollowcore, and concrete lintels over windows. So the steel bridges the cavity. I am trying to follow as many of the passive principles as I practically can. My builder thinks it is ok just to wrap the post in insulation. I do not. What do you think?

Advertisement