Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your highlight of the last year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Ireland qualifying for Euro 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I know what wasn't a highlight, cill dara abus lightbulb breaking ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Getting to meet up with a mate of mine in early January who I hadn't seen for the best part of 8 years at the time. Last time I'd seen him he was in hospital getting his ass kicked by leukaemia which he had been suffering from for 6-8 months undiagnosed (GP at the time thought it was a really bad cold / flu).

It really was great to see him doing well, odd turn of events he's now training to be a professor of nursing and all the work he's doing, is in the oncology ward he speant a lot of time in when his family moved to Austrailia. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Highlights:
    1) Spending the summer travelling around France, Spain & Belgium (incl meeting up with a friend I hadn't seen in 3 years, spending 3 weeks in Paris and getting the best hot chocolate ever in Bruges)
    2) Meeting two members of my favourite band, Rise Against (incl. one of my all-time heros) in November :D

Lowlight:
    Getting caught up in the Pukkelpop disaster in Belgium, never been so scared in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I got Post of the Day.

Roses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

2011 was really up in the top 5 of the crappiest years of the last 18 crap ones.

Seemed every time I mite be able to get somewhere I got pulled back to a worse place. :-(

But there have been some highlights:

1. Roddy Collins becoming the saviour of Monaghan United.
    2. Beating Shelbourne in Tolka.....twice!
    3. Finally getting promoted to the Premier Division.
    4. Roddy staying as the saviour of the Mons
    5. The Stone Roses reforming.

Hopefully my mad eccentric eclectic family will make Christmas amazing as usual and despite all the poop I have to face in 2012, I will go into it with optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Graduating!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Making my parents proud. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Running a marathon in under 4 hours, the Rush gig in the O2, and seeing the Dubs win Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I had a great 2 weeks travelling from London, through Brussels to Amsterdam, basically winging it all the way. Great holiday, I'll always remember it.

Also, in July, out sailing off Howth one day the wind died. Myself and the one other person tied up the boat, then spent about 1 and a half hours lying in the sun, feet dangling in the water, in flat calm conditions. The wind picked up gradually after that, and we sailed off again. Best day of my life. Nothing happened at all, but I'll always remember that day if I'm ever feeling down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What was your highlight of the last year?

Fianna fail getting there asses kicked in the election :D:D and watching all the tds scurring away to hide:Dpathetic but a highlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Walked the Camino de Santiago in Spain on my own (well, the last section of it). Best thing I've ever done and will do it again. Only highlight really, pretty uneventful year apart from that.

Well done. I walked all but the first three days of the 800km from St Jean Pied de Port (see what I did there! ;)) in 2010. The best and most enjoyable month of my life. I found it better than the Camino Finisterre and I think that was because while the first two weeks were physically hell, the second two weeks were extraordinary and I was walking 40km plus per day. There were long times walking for hours in isolation, although I still remember a lad from Derry shouting at me in a field in the middle of nowhere! Arriving late for a hostel and sleeping outside a full albergue under a canopy was one of the many memorable highlights of the walk.

Walking the Meseta under moonlight is the one thing which I regret I didn't do, but I did get up at 4.30am to walk under moonlight into Santiago de Compostela on the last day.

I'm thinking of walking either El Camino Norte or the Via de La Plata next summer. But I'm strongly tempted to return and walk the Camino Francés again, as boring as that might sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Conchir wrote: »
    I had a great 2 weeks travelling from London, through Brussels to Amsterdam, basically winging it all the way. Great holiday, I'll always remember it.

Also, in July, out sailing off Howth one day the wind died. Myself and the one other person tied up the boat, then spent about 1 and a half hours lying in the sun, feet dangling in the water, in flat calm conditions. The wind picked up gradually after that, and we sailed off again. Best day of my life. Nothing happened at all, but I'll always remember that day if I'm ever feeling down.

This, Sounds brilliant :)

Ireland beating Australia at the world cup along with the cricketers beating the tans at their own game!!!

WAHEY BEGORRAH YOU'LL NEVER BATE THE IRISH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Seeing Coldplay live at Oxegen. Unbelievable live band!

Being in Lansdowne Rd seeing Ireland qualify for Euro 2012... not to mention the celebrations afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I've two:

- Getting told I was gonna be sponsored to live in Oz

- The first time I slept with my current girlfriend. I genuinely thought I was getting punk'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bagging a decent job for myself.

Oh, and 6 years later I finally got Post Of The Day.......twice! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Think it mite just be today actually...........Stone Roses ticket bought! yup yup yup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Finding out I was pregnant again in June, after starting to think I was probably getting on a bit, and it wasn't going to happen. Finding out in July that all looks well with baby at first scan:). In the home stretch now, and am thrilled\ sh***ing myself in equal measure, since it's 11 and a half years since I last did this:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

got hired to play mandolin in one of my favourite bands, my musical life couldn't go any better than the past year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Got married in July. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Stone Roses getting back together

Ireland qualifying for Euro 2012

Hurricane Fly winning at Cheltenham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

City have a long way to go before they knock United of their perch..

OP, Moving out of home and moving to Korea has been petty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Ireland getting to the Euros...

Beating Australia in th RWC...

Beating England in the cricket...

Going home for christmas in 2 days, im sure thatll be a highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

1. Got Married
    2. Honeymoon
    3. Got a lovely wee dog
    4. Favourite Restaurant which closed 3 years ago re-opened with exact same menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beating Cancer and getting my hair kinda back.

Others good days were Ireland getting to Euros and beating Australia in Rugby and beating England in Cricket(just happened to be off work that day)

United winning the league.

The Queens visit.

Doing some charity work and helping others.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

The Arab spring. Watching millions of people say enough to tyrannical theocratic rule is the best thing that happened this year for me. Humanity took an enormous step forward this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Was not the best year for me, but Ireland getting to the Euros was a big highlight. My new job, and my annoying flatmate f*cking off this morning for 2 weeks giving me peace and quiet at last.
    Hoping things will improve in 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I got engaged in March, really looking forward to being married.

I can't really think of anything too bad that happened, in the grand scheme of things.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

The deaths of Gadaffi, Osama and Kim Jong Il.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Dionysus wrote: »
    Well done. I walked all but the first three days of the 800km from St Jean Pied de Port (see what I did there! ;)) in 2010. The best and most enjoyable month of my life. I found it better than the Camino Finisterre and I think that was because while the first two weeks were physically hell, the second two weeks were extraordinary and I was walking 40km plus per day. There were long times walking for hours in isolation, although I still remember a lad from Derry shouting at me in a field in the middle of nowhere! Arriving late for a hostel and sleeping outside a full albergue under a canopy was one of the many memorable highlights of the walk.

Walking the Meseta under moonlight is the one thing which I regret I didn't do, but I did get up at 4.30am to walk under moonlight into Santiago de Compostela on the last day.

I'm thinking of walking either El Camino Norte or the Via de La Plata next summer. But I'm strongly tempted to return and walk the Camino Francés again, as boring as that might sound.

Yes I stopped complaining about my sore feet and blisters when I think about people like yourself doing the full trek :D I'd love to do the full walk next time but a week was all I could fit into my schedule this year.

An incredible experience, and I've found it difficult to explain to people who've asked me how I got on, I just usually say "Just Go! Do it yourself and see!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Shelbourne getting promoted

Kevin O'Briens innings v England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Finished the leaving cert and got points I'd never have dreamed of before the whole thing started :)

Also, started studying dentistry in UCC!

Is good!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

moco wrote: »
    I can't really think of anything too bad that happened, in the grand scheme of things.:)

Well...
    moco wrote: »
    I got engaged in March, really looking forward to being married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Finally started third level education............................. at 42 ......................and passed my first assignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Julie London

The highlight of my year was today! cos I passed my driving exams. I will sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bwaindead

Moved to England in September for University, and so far it's going great! Spent the summer strengthening friendships here before I left, and have met some lovely people over there too. Other highlights were festivals, gigs and hooking up with a girl I'd liked for years who I'll see again over the Christmas!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nothing. It was very boring.

Except Pukkelpop, that was quite exciting. Even though we could have died. Nice bit of adventure though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Seeing my best mate of over 30 years true colours :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Showing my best mate of 30 years my true colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

That blowjob I got on the top of Mount Everest. Best blowjob yeti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Coming back to Ireland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Seeing my little boy's heartbeat for the first time on the monitor... his first cry when he was born...and the look on his big brother's face when they met for the first time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The highlight will happen on the 31st

2011 is over yay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

SKYRIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Passing and Getting my degree
    Finding out I was pregnant
    Spending my 10th year with my wonderful hubby and realising I love him more.

I really hope 2012 my highlight will be having a healthy baby :) .....ok maybe wining the lotto too would be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

theg81der wrote: »
    Passing and Getting my degree
    Finding out I was pregnant
    Spending my 10th year with my wonderful hubby and realising I love him more.

I really hope 2012 my highlight will be having a healthy baby :) .....ok maybe wining the lotto too would be good!
    Congratulations on the degree and the pregnancy..hope all goes well for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Getting offered a new job yesterday. Been out on the dole / internship since getting laid off in January. Happy Days :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

did a lot of traveling this year, switzerland, paris and few spots around italy so i'll definitely remember 2011 for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement