Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbon monoxide detectors.

Options
  • 19-12-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

It is becoming increasingly possible apparently that the awful tragedy in Gurteen last night was caused by CO poisoning. If it is, it will be the second such loss of life at Christmas in the west of Ireland in a couple of years. I would urge everybody that does not already have their house equipped with detectors please now treat themselves and their families before it's too late. They are not expensive. In fact very cheap compared to the price of a human life.
    They're available in almost every hardware and electrical shop.
    Have a read at this for more information:
    http://www.carbonmonoxide.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not necessarily in electrical shops,I think Brooks Hanley's have them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Argos, Woodies, Power City and many other stores have combined CO and smoke alarms. They're quite inexpensive too, and as the OP said, could save a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

As a rental agency our biggest fear is in housing estates with tanked gas eg Rusheen Ard, brooklawns.
    It has become common place for people to block chimneys with pillows or a couple of layers of cling film to stop draft coming down chimney(they dont use gas fire obviously. They move out without removing blocking, new tenant turns on gas fire and this is lethal. Its one of our checks between tenancies but i am just warning other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Domestic stoves can also be lethal, it's in our nature to want to exclude all possible drafts from a room. But if you have a stove installed, you will need adequate ventilation to the room otherwise CO build up can occur. Is is tragic to hear what happened outside Gurteen, but if a stove was involved it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Awful tragedy in Gurteen, RIP to those who lost their lives.

In bad weather, including the recent windy nights, people have a tendency to close the walls vents if they're rattling or buzzing in the wind. This and, as noted above, blocking draughts of all sorts, effectively seals the room.

I've been meaning to get a CO Detector for the longest time and I think one will be got and installed in my gaff before the week is out. I presume the living room is the best place to install it?

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    I've been meaning to get a CO Detector for the longest time and I think one will be got and installed in my gaff before the week is out. I presume the living room is the best place to install it?

I would think so, I'm getting a stove installed in January and I'll be putting a CO detector in the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I would think so, I'm getting a stove installed in January and I'll be putting a CO detector in the same room.
    Hi Corvus M, also consider the bedrooms as some of these tragedies have happened to people who were sleeping eg. the two ladies in Donegal and the young lad in Westport. Also on that site I linked to in the OP it mentions about having them closer to breathing level than on high ceilings.

red sean wrote: »
    Also on that site I linked to in the OP it mentions about having them closer to breathing level than on high ceilings.

My house it pretty spacey and airy so I think ventilation is not too much of an issue. But obviously where the stove is installed, I definitely will place the detector in that room. The stove will be built into a fireplace, so would putting a detector say under the mantle of the fireplace be worthwhile? Or would it need to be a certain distance from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Have a read at this regarding where best to site a detector:http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm

red sean wrote: »
    Have a read at this regarding where best to site a detector:http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm

Very helpful link, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

35 euro to buy - my contact will supply and fit for 70 euro for 1 and 100 euro for 2 - dont pay any more than that for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You can get the dectectors that sit on worktops in Tesco for around 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just ordered 3 of these myself..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0030BEM00

Spend £25+ (or buy 2) to get free deeivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Slight upgrade on basq's model above but available for only 9p more (19.99 sterling). The reading of CO levels updated every 15 seconds on digital display appeals to me and it gets great reviews on amazon

2 ordered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/900-0230-Battery-Premium-Monoxide-Digital/dp/B0030BEM0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325358170&sr=8-1

again 2 required (or top up order to £25) for free delivery

For bricks & mortar fans The model basq refers to is available cheaper (euro19.99) in Perrys Ballymote (at least 3 there earlier today)

quinnthebin - when I bought them, they were under £15 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Basq wrote: »
    quinnthebin - when I bought them, they were under £15 each.

Apologies :o
    guess the price is none too static- thanks for the link - prompted me to finally make the purchase i'd been putting on the long finger

Hi

I see mcloughlins garage, newbridge, have a promotion on selling kiddie monoxide alarms For 17 euros. It's a promo and you have to buy fuel to get them at 17. They have a 5 year guarantee and have batteries. One per transaction. Kiddie have the kite mark and the eu spec.

Regards,

John
    You've posted this in a Sligo forum..

.. could be a bit far to go tbh!

Advertisement