Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of rights

Options
  • 19-12-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about purchasing a bit of agricultural land which may serve a few purposes down the years (not building a bunker, maybe a holiday camping spot or something, haha) including agricultural, cultivating wood for fuel, hunting, and so on.

We're talking about 3-4 acres here, what rights to I need to make sure I'm getting when I buy? For example
    • hunting rights
    • access rights
    • whichever one applies to ground rent
    and so on? I'd prefer to avoid any gotchas up the road if I try to do what I like with my own land.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

This is outside my area of knowledge but I think that any "rights" you may have would be included in the deeds of the property.

One house I had, there were "turbury" rights (the right to cut turf on land that was several kilometres from the house. and these were described fully in the deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

odds_on wrote: »
    This is outside my area of knowledge but I think that any "rights" you may have would be included in the deeds of the property.

One house I had, there were "turbury" rights (the right to cut turf on land that was several kilometres from the house. and these were described fully in the deeds.
    Who do you think would have a list of rights, maybe best if I ask the solicitor? Or is there a public source I can consult in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Who do you think would have a list of rights, maybe best if I ask the solicitor? Or is there a public source I can consult in advance?
    You can try http://www.landregistry.ie/ but in many cases the deeds are held by the owners solicitor or bank if there's a mortgage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

My understanding is that a search has to be done by your solicitor to verify if there are any rights on the land. Many such rights are not held on the deeds as they come from older documents. It is one of the things you pay them to find out.

If the seller knows about any rights and fails to decalre it they can be held accountable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Cheers folks, lots of good info here. The hunting title I was thinking of is called "sporting rights" apparently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement