Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new rifle cleaning

Options
  • 19-12-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one, should you clean a the barrel on a new rifle before firing it? It's under debate with a few of us at the moment. What do ye think guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I would. Factories will store them with grease and the like in some cases, so I'd personally give it a very thorough clean before first firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Yes clean, never know what condition the bore is in.
    When putting patches through you can also feel if there are rough areas in the bore. I polish/lapp my factory rifles before firing them the first time. They copper less and clean much better then.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Longranger wrote: »
    Just a quick one, should you clean a the barrel on a new rifle before firing it? It's under debate with a few of us at the moment. What do ye think guys?
    What make and caliber ?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cz455 hmr.

Cz455 hmr.
    Clean only ...dont lap ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Yes - I would.

When I bought a Colt rifle they recommended that the barrel be cleaned after every shot for the first few magazines.

So if some manufacturers are recommending a break-in clean, what's harm in at least a first dry swab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

no harm in cleaning it what harm will it do.

i certainly would as you never know what was threw it before you got it

best of luck with your new rifle

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Clean only ...dont lap ;)

Lap?

Lap?
    It was suggested in an earlier post about (polish/lap) new barrel .
    While i have used KG2 myself .....only on remmy barrels ect ,if they feel or look a little rough inside .
    CZ rimfire barrels (that ive seen ) are like a mirror inside !

tomcat220t wrote: »
    It was suggested in an earlier post about (polish/lap) new barrel .
    While i have used KG2 myself .....only on remmy barrels ect ,if they feel or look a little rough inside .
    CZ rimfire barrels (that ive seen ) are like a mirror inside !
    Yup,barrel like glass on the inside. I put a couple of patches through with a drop of #9 and a few dry patches later its clean.

• Advertisement

Yup,barrel like glass on the inside. I put a couple of patches through with a drop of #9 and a few dry patches later its clean.
    Thats the reason CZ make one of the most accurate rimfire rifles for the money .GREAT BARRELS :cool::cool::cool:.
    Best of luck .

Cheers lads, can't wait to give her a run in tomorrow:D

Advertisement