Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy a 2.5 SATA harddrive enclosure

• 19-12-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to get my hands on the above tomorrow. The have some in Maplin that are £20 so guessing around €30. PC world don't seem to have any. Can anyone think of anywhere else that might have them without having to go into the city centre?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was in Maplin and they had them there last week for ~€30 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

Thanks Hal, I'm looking for an actual enclosure so it can be used as a portable HD, The maplin ones would do, just wondering if there are any other alternatives to Maplin around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try Soundstore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I tried everywhere during the summer for the same thing - only place to get them was in Maplins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Maplins are a crazy price for them , I bought two different ones at two different times on ebay , delivered from Hong Kong ....€10 .

Have you tried those small electrical/web cafe shops around town ... there is one there at the top of Thomas Street near DaVinci's Barbers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Try MCS on Parnell St - I drive past it pretty regularly and they seem to have a lot of stuff in their window.

There is also a computer repair place near singland motors (Limerick Coputers i think its called). They have may have one to sell.

There a few small shops around too that are internet cafe/electronic repair shops. May be worth a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

cyberspi wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I need to get my hands on the above tomorrow. The have some in Maplin that are £20 so guessing around €30. PC world don't seem to have any. Can anyone think of anywhere else that might have them without having to go into the city centre?
    Thanks in advance!
    Dunnes Stores Better Value beats them all, USB 2.5 external drive
    320 Gb €49.99
    500 Gb €59.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

E-Net shop on Thomas street .... near the funeral home, across the road from Foxes Bow. It's a small gadget shop with a web cafe at the back, but they sell lots of odds and ends for pc's. They do about 4 different types of enclosures - ranging in price from around 12 euro to 30 euro. I've bought a few with no problems ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

jbkenn wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores Better Value beats them all, USB 2.5 external drive
    320 Gb €49.99
    500 Gb €59.99

Spare hard drive + enclosure for €10 = better value.

Also quite possible OP has data on the drive he needs to get at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

These little cases are very very handy, I normally have a couple lying around in case I've to reinstall Windows for someone, it's usually a whole lot easier to take out the existing drive, put in another 1 and then copy over the data, that way you have a drive to put into the next system.

Just checked now (cause I was feeling like being nice to the Ops), sorry I don't have any left, might order a few from Hong Kong for delivery after Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Was actually looking for one myself a while back and maplin was the only place I could get one. Very handy for debugging or repairing hard disk problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Maplin are quite expensive allright, I wouldn't go to E-Net like an above poster said, very bad quality products from experience and from doing some tech work, MCS are good - but also really expensive.

Best bet would be E-Bay/Amazon.

OP, did you try PC World?

EDIT:

On the site they only seem to have 3.5" DYNAMODE's But it may be worth asking them.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/DYNAMODE-35andquot-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-Black/301599/6.8
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/DYNAMODE-USB-20-35andquot-Hard-Disk-Enclosure-Black/308319/6.8

Becareful of some of those cheap cases, they can give trouble.

Hi everyone, appreciate all the help, sorry for not coming back to you sooner. Usually something like this I would get off amazon but I needed it asap to get files off a hard drive and get stuff sorted before Christmas. Glad to say boards came to the rescue as usual. limerick computers beside singland motors had a nice quality one for 20 quid. Only slightly dearer than online, had it instantly and didn't have to be messing around looking for parking in the city this close to Christmas. Thanks to the OP its a nice little find as its at the right side of town for me and he had a good selection of components - much better value than maplin from the few bits I looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Anyone spotted any of these around town lately?

Same as the OP looking to pick up a 2.5 SATA HD enclosure.
    I can't visualise the shop mentioned above beside Singland Motors??

if you pull into Singland it is at the end of the yard closer to the groody roundabout. I think there may have been a motor factors there before?

cyberspi wrote: »
    if you pull into Singland it is at the end of the yard closer to the groody roundabout. I think there may have been a motor factors there before?

Ah right I have you. Been a while since I've had to travel out that road.
    I assume they just operate normal 9 - 5:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

I have one for sale, same as this one, i'll let it go for a tenner pal.

superneat wrote: »
    I have one for sale, same as this one, i'll let it go for a tenner pal.

I assume it's just the enclosure for the tenner?

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I assume it's just the enclosure for the tenner?

lol, I'd doubt you will buy a HDD for a tenner.

I've some old 40GB IDE 3.5" hard drives you can have for a tenner :)

I bought a few of these from ebay around Christmas, I was waiting about 2 weeks for them to be delivered from Hong Kong

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/270750618301?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3383wt_1392

Something as small as 40GB is not worth buying in SATA form. I have a high speed 32GB memory stick which I paid around €35 for recently, more compact than an enclosured HDD too.

Advertisement