Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network over phone line

Options
  • 19-12-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,
    We have recently moved house where there are 3 telephone sockets, the primary socket in the upstairs bedroom, 1 in the upstairs living room and 1 down stairs in the play room.

I have now set the router up in the primary socket in the main bedroom having tried it in the living room where it seemed to run quite slow.

Ideally I would like to have a wired connection to a playstation in the downstairs playroom for internet gaming.

Is there anyway of connecting the playstation into the local socket in the room, a secondary hub or something? At a glance I have seen something on HomePNA??

Another option I have seen is wireline adaptors but I think I would rather run a long ethernet cable through several walls or rooms if needs be.

Thanks in advance.

WA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have you looked at the option of getting Homeplugs. There's a good offer currently being discussed on Bargain Alerts at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

if your lucky you might have cat5 going through the walls carrying your phone, take off a phone socket fascia and see it is cat 5(should be written on the cable if in doubt) 4 twisted pairs would be cat5 and 4 single wires for standard telephone, anyway if you have cat5 cabling you can convert the run into an ethernet run back to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WhosAlice

Have you looked at the option of getting Homeplugs. There's a good offer currently being discussed on Bargain Alerts at the mo.

Hi thanks,
    Yes, sorry my mistake when I said "wireline adaptors" I actually meant homeplugs. I have previously used these when I previously had BT Vision, much to say they were a nuisance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If set up correctly they are the bees knees.I have them in 3 rooms and am getting great service from all of them.

weeder wrote: »
    if your lucky you might have cat5 going through the walls carrying your phone, take off a phone socket fascia and see it is cat 5(should be written on the cable if in doubt) 4 twisted pairs would be cat5 and 4 single wires for standard telephone, anyway if you have cat5 cabling you can convert the run into an ethernet run back to the router.

Didn't see your post last night Weeder, thanks I shall take a look later to see.

Kristopherus,
    Ok Ill take another look at them, but I think I would drill a few holes and run a cable if needed.

• Advertisement

weeder wrote: »

Had a look last night, unfortunatly not, just the singles. Going to go get myself some cable today and get to work.

Many thanks

Advertisement