Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to purchase a work van

Options
  • 19-12-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'll soon be buying a business and I'll need a small van such as a Citroen Berlingo. The problem is I'm not sure how to go about it.
    Things will be tight enough for the first few months and i don't think buying new would be an option. I'd have to come up with a cash deposit and I don't think the business could afford it.
    I have a car that I could trade in for a second hand van. I might have to spend maybe €1k of my own money but that would give me a cheap option. This way the company could pay me mileage. I would be taxing and insuring the van myself. However, there would be occasions when other staff members would have to drive the van so I would have to get a suitable insurance policy. Is this more hassle than its worth?
    Would it be more practical for the company to buy a second hand van for a similar price? Insurance may be more straightforward if staff need to drive it also..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Loads of ex An Post berlingo's and kangoo's on carzone, 08 for around 3 grand, they are green in colour obviously but could do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

Woodgate wrote: »
    Loads of ex An Post berlingo's and kangoo's on carzone, 08 for around 3 grand, they are green in colour obviously but could do the job for you.

Was going to get proper signage on it by means of a vinyl wrap type thing so maybe green isn't such a bad option.

Whether to buy it myself or get the company to buy it is the problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If your buy a van from a dealer you pay VAT. If through the company you can claim the VAT on purchase aswell as diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Is the van mainly being used for personal or work purposes?

For tax now you have to get a form stamped in a Garda station declaring its for work purposes.

If its for work purposes and your staff are using it, there probably is dodgy ground insurance wise if your employees are driving it and its your personal vehicle. Even if its only you driving it your still probably going to have to get Business use insurance.

Tax wise its tempting to have it as a personal vehicle and claim mileage, but Im not sure how that would work out in the unlikely event Revenue then checked what class of tax you paid on your personal vehicle for which you were claiming mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Depends on what your doing business wise what type of van to go for,
    but try not to go the lease wise try get one for cash if you can because lease just to many hidden costs, any way best of luck on what your doing hope it goes well for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

Thanks for the replies. The van would be used to deliver groceries to customers.
    There are obvious advantages tax wise on claiming mileage. However as there will be multiple users, having the van owned and insured by a company is probably the least complicated option for insurance.
    Could the company buy my car from me and then use as a part-ex on a van?

Advertisement