Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Hard Drive Replacement

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My hard drive in my laptop has packed in. It was a 500gb and I'm thinking of replacing it with an SSD.

Are these recommended for laptops? The above seems pretty good value. I have a 1tb portable as well as a 2tb media box so I think I would manage with a smaller hard drive.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

How old is your laptop? the motherboard on it might not support sata 3 6GB/s, you could choose a sata 2 model instead which is cheaper. But an ssd would be the best option. Or you could get a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How old is your laptop? the motherboard on it might not support sata 3 6GB/s, you could choose a sata 2 model instead which is cheaper. But an ssd would be the best option. Or you could get a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive.

18 months tops. it's a Dell Studio XPS 1647, not sure of the motherboard but it has a 2.53ghz intel i5 fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

After a bit of digging, it appears the Studio XPS uses the PM55 chipset, which does not support SATA3.

Having said that, SATA3 drives don't seem to really be any more expensive than SATA2 ones, if anything, they're a bit cheaper.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-120gb-vertex-plus-series-sata-3gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7P0T.html?q=solid&src=16

That's the best I could find on Dabs, there doesn't seem to be much in the ~200GB range, other than the Force 3 drive you picked.

Just to bear in mind, the drive will work perfectly fine, it just won't be able to reach its full speed.

Thanks very much for that. So essentially if i get the one I linked, even though it's sata 3 the only issue I would have is that the max rate I would get is 3gb/s (apparently the max for sata2) rather than 6 right? If so I think I will go with that one, I think 120gb would be too small for me.

Also, it's worth noting that OCZ SSD's are known for having quiet a few faults, not all models do but just do research for the drives. Have a look at the kingston hyperX on dabs.Here's the link. It's supposedly a very reliable, and fast drive.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'd say the minimum I would go for is 180gb tbh, and the 240gb version of the one you linked is quite pricey. Think I'll just go for the one I linked in the OP. Thanks for your help though much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the crucial m4 drives are the most reliable ssds on the market this generation. it would be my most obvious choice if I was buying myself.that, or Intel ssd, but theyre pricey.

Thanks. I'd say the minimum I would go for is 180gb tbh, and the 240gb version of the one you linked is quite pricey. Think I'll just go for the one I linked in the OP. Thanks for your help though much appreciated.

I linked a 120gb version, it links to the 120gb for me anyway. it's €185. But the one you linked in the OP is a good drive too. But it's not the fastest possible, but since you've only got SATA 2 it wouldn't matter.

Advertisement