Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Brisbane/Melbourne/Sydney?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

So myself and my boyfriend have just booked flights to Australia for just over a month in July. We're flying into and leaving from Brisbane. He has family there who we will be staying with for a while and are our main reason for heading over there!

Now, my only issue is that I haven't the faintest idea about anything to do with Australia really :/ I'm really excited to go but I want to make the most of my time there! I've been having a browse around the net but I'm still not sure about what the "must do" things are in Brisbane/surrounding areas. We'll most likely be taking some time to ourselves to travel aswell - looking at the map the next big cities are Melbourne, then Sydney but again, I don't know what would be worth doing/going to!

So basically, I'm looking for any advice or recommendations/ideas at all. The only thing I know I really want to do is to hold a koala bear :o I saw a photo of a friend doing that and I'd love to do it too! Any advice for where would be good to do that would also be appreciated :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

http://www.koala.net/index.php/home-mainmenu-1/index.php

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane for holding koalas, so that'll be that box ticked. There isn't a huge amount to do here to be honest but South Bank is nice. Head to the beaches maybe (an hours drive). There are some good dives around if you're into that. The weather will be good in July (dry/sunny) but it'll be chilly once the sun goes down. Your fellas family will give you tips.

As for Melbourne and Sydney there is lots to do and its down to your own interests really. What do you like to do on holiday? Chill on the beach? Adventure sports? Sight-seeing? Clubbing?

Bear in mind it'll be pretty cold/rainy in Melbourne that time of year. Ditto Sydney really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Oh thanks, that place looks awesome! :D

We'd be into sight seeing mainly and just wandering around checking out nice places. Not mad into clubbing/going out or adventure sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Brisbane:
    Climb Story Bridge (if you don't mind heights) - we did this and himself loved it, can't say that I did, but I hate heights.
    Australia Zoo is good too

Sydney:
    Climb the Harbour Bridge,
    Go on a day trip to the Blue Mountains,
    Go to Bondi/Manly

Melbourne:
    Visit the Old Gaol
    Go to Federation Square
    Take the tour tram around the CBD
    Go on a day trip to the Dandenongs

Just some of the things we did. I wish I was going back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thanks guys, this is a great help! Gives me some stuff to investigate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Up at Brisbane, theme parks!!!

http://movieworld.myfun.com.au/

http://www.dreamworld.com.au/

http://wetnwild.myfun.com.au/

there about an hour south of Brisbane and the another 45 mins south to the gold coast.
    Surfers paradise (a bunch of beaches) is north of Brisbane.

Sydney:

Bridge climb but its expensive like 180 ish i think
    Tarongo Zoo prob 70ish
    Darling Harbour is nice and free
    Bondi and Coogee are nice beaches and worth a look
    The Rocks in the CBD kinda like temple bar at home, shops souvenirs, tourist bars
    Blue mountains tour, i was there its grand and all depends on how touristy you are its about an hour and a half away
    Hunter valley if you like wine, i havent been there but it has good reviews

Check out:

allthedeals.com.au and you mite get some good offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Oh yeah forgot about all the theme parks here!

Surfers paradise is actually at the Gold Coast and is south of Brisbane. The 'Sunshine Coast' is the area north of Brisbane with all the beaches. As a rule of thumb, head north for quieter beaches, head south to the Gold Coast for beaches with a bit more night life.

You could drive the Great Ocean Road outside Melbourne, which is scenic. There are a number of wineries around there too.

I find www.tripadvisor.com to be good for ideas, or just pick up a guide book for a list of the more popular things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Oh yea i always get them beaches mixed up!!

if your flying qantas set up a frequent flyer and ul get loads of points its also free for non Oz NZ residents, not sure about other airlines but we missed loads of point because we didnt know about this

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/welcome

Advertisement