Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you buy things due to advertisements?

• 20-12-2011 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Was in the airport today, picking up the brother, the arrivals floor was clad in Coca-Cola wallpaper so alas, I bought a Coca-Cola. Do you buy much due to advertisements? Its the Christmas season where the big bucks are spend on advertising, so I'm expecting an emptier wallet than most this festive period.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The floor was covered in wallpaper? Were the walls covered in linoleum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Like the majority of us I think I'm immune to it but hugely effected nonetheless by it's subtlety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Wall*, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

yeah - I bought a song off itunes coz of an O2 ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

nope never.
    now excuse me while I go spray Cillit Bang on my missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You think companies spend millions on advertising for nothing, it works, whether you realise it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Working in a shop I am immune from it and I can feel the on set of impulse buying so I can stop myself from buying something I don't need.

But if I needed say a bottle of Orange for example. I would buy Fanta, because the ads on the telly have told me there bottle of orange is superior to any of the other bottles in the fridge. Although there bottle may not be the best choice. There ad on the telly has reinforced that if a situation arose where I needed a bottle of orange that I would go for the Fanta bottle as opposed to say the Tesco Value Orange or Tesco Orange as there has been little marketing done it. Also I am made to test the ad, as in dose the ad live up too what I should expect from seeing the ad.

So yes it works, just some company's over do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Yes I do and so do you OP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

No, I've never bought anything! Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I don't think advertising has any real effect on me. It might make me aware of a product but it doesn't have any influence over me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

I'm completely immune to the effects of adver - HEY EVERYBODY LOOK, ITS AIRTRICITY MAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Man I'm thirsty. Time for a nice refreshing Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I buy what tastes good. No amount of advertising would make me buy bovril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm not gonna lie, a lot of people are pretty stupid and advertising will make up their minds for them. Why do you think Apple is so popular? Most people have never even heard of an mp3 player(as they were) and simply referred to the kind as ipods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Yes. I'm not arrogant enough to believe I cannot be manipulated.

Those who are not influenced by advertising are a rare breed. A lot of people claim they are immune, but ask them if they ever bought a pint of Budweiser?

The only reason that piss sells is because of advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

msg11 wrote: »
    Working in a shop I am immune from it and I can feel the on set of impulse buying so I can stop myself from buying something I don't need.

But if I needed say a bottle of Orange for example. I would buy Fanta, because the ads on the telly have told me there bottle of orange is superior to any of the other bottles in the fridge. Although there bottle may not be the best choice. There ad on the telly has reinforced that if a situation arose where I needed a bottle of orange that I would go for the Fanta bottle as opposed to say the Tesco Value Orange or Tesco Orange as there has been little marketing done it. Also I am made to test the ad, as in dose the ad live up too what I should expect from seeing the ad.

You've never tried Club Orange have you,it's so superior to other brands Club don't need to advertise it any more. Also,Fanta is muck,hence the continuous advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Do they really know it works tho? Has any of the big advert hitters ever just 'stopped' advertising in order to see if there any actual decrease in their sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Have to say I love Orange Drink myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cian A wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie, a lot of people are pretty stupid and advertising will make up their minds for them. Why do you think Apple is so popular? Most people have never even heard of an mp3 player(as they were) and simply referred to the kind as ipods.

And despite the minute amount of Mac users compared to Windows, you can guarantee the next film you see somebody using a laptop, they will be using an apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

I just go for the tesco one - cheaper and if it tastes like sh1te or is warm, you dont mind too much cause it was cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Bovril does.nt need advertisements. That stuff sells itself. Big mug and a slice of batch bread

If it was a new product id probably give it a try after seen an advert but usually stick to what i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I bought Birds Eye Potato Waffles back in the day cos of that very catchy ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yep. Was sitting with a hangover parched a few weeks ago and an ad for Ribena came on. I couldn't get Ribena out of my head so I got in the car drove to the local shop which was closed and reversed the car through the shop window and stole every bottle of Ribena they had.
    And despite the minute amount of Mac users compared to Windows, you can guarantee the next film you see somebody using a laptop, they will be using an apple.

Product placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Dotrel wrote: »
    Do they really know it works tho? Has any of the big advert hitters ever just 'stopped' advertising in order to see if there any actual decrease in their sales?

Volkswagen did the opposite, they started shipping to the US after the second world war, they weren't advertising.

53' - sales of 2000 beetles
    59' - 150k
    Then the company hired an ad agency, sales hit a million in the 60's, 15 million internationally in the early 70s.

It's also worth noting that through advertising companies are very rarely actually trying to sell you something, rather make themselves known and give you a certain impression of their brand, using the same company again, what do you think of the Golf compared to other hatchbacks? Can you explain why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Faith+1 wrote: »

"Birds Eye Potato waffles are waffley versatile."

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Volkswagen did the opposite, they started shipping to the US after the second world war, they weren't advertising.

53' - sales of 2000 beetles
    59' - 150k
    Then the company hired an ad agency, sales hit a million in the 60's, 15 million internationally in the early 70s.

It's also worth noting that through advertising companies are very rarely actually trying to sell you something, rather make themselves known and give you a certain impression of their brand, using the same company again, what do you think of the Golf compared to other hatchbacks? Can you explain why?

Damn you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The crap "lifestyle" ads with the nonsensical catchphrases or stuff that has nothing to do with the product ? No

A factual, informative ad with no bull**** ? Maybe

I actually avoided buying stuff in the "3" store today in protest at their foisting of the irritating twits on us - the staff were even wearing tops with the ****wits' irritating Americanism written on it.

So Carphone Warehouse got a sale because of an ad - a "3" ad.....does that count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

how do you know what bovril tastes like? Did you perhaps purchase it once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I don't get any ads on the internet.

If ya have chrome or firefox get ''AdBlock plus'' google it..

Greatest invention ever.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

dubtom wrote: »
    You've never tried Club Orange have you,it's so superior to other brands Club don't need to advertise it any more. Also,Fanta is muck,hence the continuous advertising.

Club Kills my stomach.Sometimes it feels like I've drank a hand which is slowly pushing all the Fart air south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Nestle can advertise the pants off themselves, I still won't be buying their products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I personally think that the majority of it doesnt work in the sense of "wow, i gotta go get one now after seeing that advert!!!" :P
    Alot of it is just psychology. Say you see a coke cola advert and when you go to the shop later to buy something to drink ... you're more likely to get a coke knowing that advert reminded you and its fresh in your mind (of course if you are a coke drinker that is. aint gonna do nothing for someone who has chosen not to drink the stuff)

But even then the other psychological aspect is that if we keep hearing and seeing something the product feels established, aka, its a 'good' trustworthy product. In reality, could be a piece of piss. Take Cillit Bang it doesnt clean the way the ad says :pac: ... But when people need to clean something they'll buy a bottle. Then bang! you're money is gone! (had to say that :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't drink Pepsi. There are no ads telling me to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Not at all and anyone who does is a bloody call of duty modern warfare 3:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I don't think advertising has any real effect on me. It might make me aware of a product but it doesn't have any influence over me.

thats why you have a car computer etc ??

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Everyone is influenced absolutely by marketing (of different products, of course). Although it's nice to think that we're too clever to be taken it by corporations' insidious messaging it's just not true. I've worked in market research for years and have tested hundreds of advertising strategies... they really do work.

Companies don't just sell products; they sell ideas. We buy iPods, designer clothes and gourmet foods not just for the product itself but also because we perceive them to represent something more nebulous. All consumer goods have different qualities ascribed to them by their manufacturers through the semiotics of their advertising. Products are no longer just functional things, today we use our possessions to help define our own identities: "My clothes say x about me", "The type of person who owns this kitchen is y", "Someone who drives this make of car is z". All of these ideas we intuit from how the product is marketed - an ad isn't just there to create awareness of an item's launch in the marketplace.

For example, an iPod's not just an iPod. Thanks to Apple's powerfully manipulative marketing strategy - to some - it's suggestive of wealth, modernity, playfulness, innovation, cosmopolitanism... the list goes on. Through buying an iPod we hope to appropriate these qualities: "I have an iPod, ergo I'm wealthy, modern, playful, innovative, cosmopolitan..."

Advertising is an ingenious industry that's working day and night to influence how we live. To those who maintain that it has no affect on them, I refer you to Baudelaire's biblical observation: “The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world that he did not exist.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Pdfile wrote: »

People need something to get to A to B and people need something to jack off too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Pdfile wrote: »

LighterGuy wrote: »
    People need something to get to A to B and people need something to jack off too :pac:

How do you **** off a computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

Senna wrote: »
    You think companies spend millions on advertising for nothing, it works, whether you realise it or not.

Doesn't work for everybody. I drink Coke because I like the taste, not because of advertising. Sometime I drink Pepsi, it tastes nice too! Carlsberg do the great ads on TV but I dont drink it because I dont like the taste!

This!
    Yes. I'm not arrogant enough to believe I cannot be manipulated.

Those who are not influenced by advertising are a rare breed. A lot of people claim they are immune, but ask them if they ever bought a pint of Budweiser?

The only reason that piss sells is because of advertising.

I wouldn't drink Bud if it was free so no matter how good an advertising campaign is its still gonna taste the same.

Aftershaves still smell the same no matter how goodlooking the model is.
    Cars still drive the same no matter how sexy the lady driving it is.
    Yadda yadda yadda, you get my point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Nestle can advertise the pants off themselves, I still won't be buying their products.

1. Do you know why you boycott nestle or are you just on the bandwagon?

2. How do you know you don't buy their products? They have over 6000 individual products, a good majority of the range for sale on ireland and UK shelves, and a lot of them don't carry nestle branding or indeed any visible links to nestle itself... Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

conor1979 wrote: »
    Doesn't work for everybody. I drink Coke because I like the taste, not because of advertising. Sometime I drink Pepsi, it tastes nice too!

That may be so but I doubt you've tried even a tiny fraction of the different colas produced worldwide. A supermarket here might stock Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, own brands plus a couple of smaller more expensive brands. They wouldn't stock Kola Real for example because no one would buy it.

wilkie2006 wrote:
    Products are no longer just functional things, today we use our possessions to help define our own identities

Rubbish, and if anyone needs to be defined by what they own they have serious insecurity and mental problems.

The ad industry might want us to think that way, but it simply isn't the case.

A product is a product; if it does what it's meant to, does it well, is reliable and is reasonably priced, then I'll buy it.

If not, no amount of bull**** "endorsement" by celebrities who never eat/use it but are happy to pretend that they do in order to get paid, and no amount of vacuous "lifestyle" association is going to change my mind.

Opel cars can't surf waves
    Heineken doesn't make a hottie chat you up in an airport
    Nothing is "essential" bar food, water and hygiene
    Vodafone doesn't give "power to you"
    A Golf is a hatchback the same as the others
    Lynx doesn't attract ladies
    An iPhone is a decent enough device but if Vodafone hadn't given me one for free there are other cheaper phones that would have done the job

Marketing nowadays is absolute pointless bull**** and waffle and has forgotten how to (or is unwilling to) tell you about the product.
    “The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world that he did not exist.”

Ah but the devil has more credibility than most adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Faith+1 wrote: »

Damn you, that add is running through my head now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

That may be so but I doubt you've tried even a tiny fraction of the different colas produced worldwide. True, but I doubt many people have as there are only so many produced/sold in Ireland.
    Virgin Cola was sold in Ireland for a while and I tasted it but preferred Coke/Pepsi so didn't but it even though it came in a fancy shaped bottle and had fancy adds!

A supermarket here might stock Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, own brands plus a couple of smaller more expensive brands. They wouldn't stock Kola Real for example because no one would buy it.

Supermarkets sell a lot of their own brand cola, and it sells. It sells because it is cheap, not because the supermarket does a massive advertising blitz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

I like adverts.
    I have adblock+ for chrome, all my tv is downloaded. When I'm watching tv in someone else's house, I enjoy the adverts!

I never get to see an advert except billboards, how else will I know how live my life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    An iPhone is a decent enough device but if Vodafone hadn't given me one for free there are other cheaper phones that would have done the job

But Liam, you've just mentioned a load of brand leaders.
    Rubbish, and if anyone needs to be defined by what they own they have serious insecurity and mental problems.
    I somehwat agree with you here, but it's a modern type of tribalism which pushes common sense aside and gets people to consume brands like Nike, Apple etc. despite the fact they are overpriced, not that good, built in sweathouses etc. but people give the logo pride of place - actually re-advertising the brand for free.

tricky D wrote: »

But Liam, you've just mentioned a load of brand leaders.

I mentioned the ones whose ads are so farcical they would almost make me boycott the products, and because the premise of those ads would be immediately obvious to anyone reading.

And while that does mean the ads were remembered, there is an old phrase that familiarity breeds contempt - and if a company can't be arsed explaining what their product does and can't explain why it is better than the competitors then that - to me - means that it mustn't be any better.
    I somehwat agree with you here, but it's a modern type of tribalism which pushes common sense aside and gets people to consume brands like Nike, Apple etc. despite the fact they are overpriced, not that good, built in sweathouses etc. but people give the logo pride of place - actually re-advertising the brand for free.

Agree 100%. If someone wants me to be a walking billboard for their company, they can call me outlining whatever rate they are offering, or at the very least give me a discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I mentioned the ones whose ads are so farcical they would almost make me boycott the products, and because the premise of those ads would be immediately obvious to anyone reading.

And while that does mean the ads were remembered, there is an old phrase that familiarity breeds contempt - and if a company can't be arsed explaining what their product does and can't explain why it is better than the competitors then that - to me - means that it mustn't be any better.
    Again I somewhat agree with you, but the point is that their advertising has ticked your brand awareness and brand association boxes. That's a good portion of the function of advertising sorted. Next bit is to get you to buy it and that's not as hard as it seems given the illogical way we do things. See most of those cleaning products under our sinks, a bit of vinegar, borax??, lemon and anything else Mrs Beeton cares to mention, will do the job just as well at twice the value.

Agree 100%. If someone wants me to be a walking billboard for their company, they can call me outlining whatever rate they are offering, or at the very least give me a discount.
    And people looked at me as if I'd 2 heads when I made that assertion.

Stupid humaaans

tricky D wrote: »
    Again I somewhat agree with you, but the point is that their advertising has ticked your brand awareness and brand association boxes. That's a good portion of the function of advertising sorted. Next bit is to get you to buy it and that's not as hard as it seems given the illogical way we do things.

Yup - I associate those ads with lies and deflection. And I associate "3" with encountering Jedward far too regularly and having to dive for the remote in order to change channel, something I will never forgive them for and - as I said earlier - avoid buying from them because of.

I don't do things illogically.
    See most of those cleaning products under our sinks, a bit of vinegar, borax??, lemon and anything else Mrs Beeton cares to mention, will do the job just as well at twice the value.

No idea who Mrs Beeton is.

I remember being looked at funny when I pointed out to people that there was no real difference between a Skoda Octavia, a Seat Cordoba, a VW Passat and an Audi A4. They all do the same thing and are actually made by the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...that is why you will se a lot of cost consciuos taxi drivers going around on Octavias etc rather than VW Passats....same car different badge.

I drive a SEAT IBIZA....much the same as a POLO but a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement