Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spray painters help

• 20-12-2011 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

hi all , im repairing an Arai chaser helmet , i think its the rx-7 model from looking at d catalogue , its d monster logo , a real beauty. it has a nasty crack down d side and across the jaw piece , i was able to spread open d crack by forcing it on my knee and iv filled it with a quick drying painters filler, iv put a weight on it for the night and ill sand off the excess tomorrow, i really want to get a decent finish as im hoping to sell it for 350 euro , one similar went for 400 on a buy and sell site . Im aware this particular helmet has a ultra voilet laquer finish and im afraid to use a normal spray can in case the cans solvents affect the rest of the helmet .can anyone tell me of a product that wont require too much primer and pre work but will match a black ultra voilet laquer finish and have it looking good as new .Any and all advice much appreciated .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You want to repair and sell a crashed/damaged helmet and want advice on that, your winding us up right?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Trollin, or mentally challenged. I'm going to go with option A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

braintoxic wrote: »
    Im afraid to use a normal spray can in case the cans solvents affect the rest of the helmet

+
    it has a nasty crack down d side and across the jaw piece

=

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Please don't sell this helmet.
    It is no good for anything, except the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

P.C. wrote: »
    Please don't sell this helmet.
    It is no good for anything, except the bin.

Voluntary medical places take crashed lids for practising with. St. John's ambulance, Order of Malta, MCUI Medical team etc.

Just incase the op is serious, do NOT attempt to use this helmet, or allow anyone else to. Feel free to practice your painting on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I hear Dulux magnolia emulsion has exactly the finish that this helmet deserves. You should also drink a pint of it yourself.

'cptr

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I also doubt that anyone could be as stupid as to repair a helmet, let alone sell a repaired helmet. They are designed to break under impact, to take the force of a crash, and then you dispose of them. But taking this as a real post: first, a chaser and an rx7 are different models. Second, noone will ever buy an obviously repaired helmet for 400 quid, because thankfully, most people value their heads more than that.

If you just didnt know this, well now you do. If youre actively trying to con someone into buying a duff helmet, then thats just despicable. If youre trolling (which I hope, as the alternatives are that you are daft or wicked) merry christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Will somebody please tell me what " trolling" is? I got a 7 day ban from another thread .reason given .troll.....all d moderator said was ..troll.. i have asked him what this means n he has been on line but no reply . Why be a volunteer here n ban ppl with a reason given as one word "troll" and not even be decent enough to reply when kindly asked what this means.i dont expect immediate reply but d moderator has been on and off line numerous times
    ..well done boards.ie .
    .as for the helmet this is a collectors item.not a valuable as a the red bull or malboro.as i had pointed out Its d green monster logo and i plan to sell it online as a repair.. I had d arai with half face moon and half face sun n its worth at least 650 now.google d homer sumpson one that kia li khan owns! ...bye the way people ..grow up

i plan to sell it online as a repair

Helmets are worthless even if you drop them from your hand to the floor. Your helmet, despite however much it cost new is worth absolutely nothing now, and would kill someone in the event of even a low speed crash.

Owen wrote: »

Helmets are worthless even if you drop them from your hand to the floor. Your helmet, despite however much it cost new is worth absolutely nothing now, and would kill someone in the event of even a low speed crash.
    .its a colectors item . Its for display not use!!

• Advertisement

Nowhere before have you mentioned that, hence the replies here.

Owen wrote: »

.its a colectors item . Its for display not use!! And its not worthless! Collectors pay big money for limited models

I said i was repairing a damaged helmet .are you seeiously saying it was not obvious

It was not obvious.

I said i was repairing a damaged helmet .are you seeiously saying it was not obvious

It was not obvious.
    If it was, you would have received different replies.

The regulars on here take safety seriously.

For someone who doesnt know the definition of troll, you sure can do it. You dont know one model from another, yet you talk about sought after models and designs. The monster design isnt even limited edition.

Oryx wrote: »
    For someone who doesnt know the definition of troll, you sure can do it. You dont know one model from another, yet you talk about sought after models and designs. The monster design isnt even limited edition.
    Ok go show me an advert for one for less dan 350 if not please get back to topic or il report u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ok go show me an advert for one for less dan 350 if not please get back to topic or il report u.

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/searchresults.aspx?searchterm=hopkins&gclid=CNzomK7xkK0CFQRP4Qod4DJImw

i'm confused

OOOh report me. I feckin love that.

Someone else got there before me. Why would I pay 350 for a standard edition which you admit I cant even wear????

Thanks tigger ..over 600 sterling new for the rx-7 monster logo .. so should i still just chuck it out even though i just sold d half sun half moon to cart word near fermoy for display .

• Advertisement

You obviously dont know the value of said items .

I think he knows the value of a damaged helmet.
    The one tigger linked to is only £400 brand new.

The chaser is £299. In the opening post the op didnt know which one he had.

A non limited edition helmet, damaged repaired is worth exactly zero.

The rx-7 reccommended retail value is nearly 650 sterling ..With the greatest respect U should look again

Ok this is getting out of hand and im quiet unsure why site moderators are crowding my post with replies that are unrelated to my origional query about ultra voilet laquer.. all helmets over two years old are considered unfit for resale . If you look ul see all helmets have a ce date and they should not be worn after that time . I buy them clean them up and sell them as display or collectors items . Do your research before claiming the have a zero value . The first crown top harly made is priceless.a relined cork clowmans can fetch seven or eight hundred bucks in d states . Old war helmets are like gold if they have bullett damage. And do ye think the helmets used by the great pioneers of motorcycly racing are worthless? . Now please let my post alone unless you are a collector or intrested in such things.
    Thank you

Ok this is getting out of hand and im quiet unsure why site moderators are crowding my post with replies that are unrelated to my origional query about ultra voilet laquer.. all helmets over two years old are considered unfit for resale . If you look ul see all helmets have a ce date and they should not be worn after that time . I buy them clean them up and sell them as display or collectors items . Do your research before claiming the have a zero value . The first crown top harly made is priceless.a relined cork clowmans can fetch seven or eight hundred bucks in d states . Old war helmets are like gold if they have bullett damage. And do ye think the helmets used by the great pioneers of motorcycly racing are worthless? . Now please let my post alone unless you are a collector or intrested in such things.
    Thank you

I'm a spray painter. I'd give you advice, but because you've been so abrasive towards others here, even though the confusion was caused by you never stating that the helmet would be sold as a display item only, you've put me right off helping.

Thats understandable . Thanks anyway owen

I'm a moderator on another forum, so Im just a regular poster here. The reason I keep asking you about this, is because YOU appeared to have scant knowledge of what you were selling. You never said it was for sale as a display item, for a collector. You talk about retail values, which have no relevance here.

You mention above about valuable collectors pieces. Is yours a collectors item? Was it worn by a pioneer of racing? What makes your helmet special when most other junked helmets get thrown in the bin rather than repaired?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm a moderator on another forum, so Im just a regular poster here. The reason I keep asking you about this, is because YOU appeared to have scant knowledge of what you were selling. You never said it was for sale as a display item, for a collector. You talk about retail values, which have no relevance here.

You mention above about valuable collectors pieces. Is yours a collectors item? Was it worn by a pioneer of racing? What makes your helmet special when most other junked helmets get thrown in the bin rather than repaired?

I know its a rx-7 i tought a chaser.if thats scant kowledge then sorry im not up to your google level. Its retail value has huge bearing here because it reflects d quantity made and how desirable they are.it means that in years to come i can sell it as a rare helmet as they are unlikely to be a lot around .im wondering why u think thats irrelivant??.i already said i sold one to kart word for their display cabinet in d waiting room so yes people do want them ..by your reasoning nobody should collect anything ..stamp collectors its only paper and most of them ar thrown in d junk so its bet u dont bother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement