Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spray painters help

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

braintoxic wrote: »
    hi all , im repairing an Arai chaser helmet , i think its the rx-7 model from looking at d catalogue , its d monster logo , a real beauty. it has a nasty crack down d side and across the jaw piece , i was able to spread open d crack by forcing it on my knee and iv filled it with a quick drying painters filler, iv put a weight on it for the night and ill sand off the excess tomorrow, i really want to get a decent finish as im hoping to sell it for 350 euro , one similar went for 400 on a buy and sell site . Im aware this particular helmet has a ultra voilet laquer finish and im afraid to use a normal spray can in case the cans solvents affect the rest of the helmet .can anyone tell me of a product that wont require too much primer and pre work but will match a black ultra voilet laquer finish and have it looking good as new .Any and all advice much appreciated .

Now that the facts about dropped/cracked helmets are out of the way, and that you will be stating that it is for looking at and not using when selling, I'll give my advice.

You will not achieve the finish of the original product with cans. The whole helmet will have to be re-laquered using a 2pack laquer. The filler you sanded will need a 2 pack primer. You will get a near perfect match of the colour by taking it to a car repair shop for colour-matching, or your local car paint shop. The logo/design will need to be masked off, painted in colour, (after filler primed and sanded), then the helmet laquered with design/logo unmasked.

Hope that gives you some insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Thanks furerer . But thats overkill i think . Display helmets cant be left anywhere that they cant be picked up an used so with a crack to d side it can be turned at an angle that suits when mounted .all i want it to make it presentable .will it not work on a patch .i have even used good decals to cover off poor color match . Will a can spray soak out into edges of uv laquer making it a bigger looking repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Thanks furerer . But thats overkill i think . Display helmets cant be left anywhere that they cant be picked up an used so with a crack to d side it can be turned at an angle that suits when mounted .all i want it to make it presentable .will it not work on a patch .i have even used good decals to cover off poor color match . Will a can spray soak out into edges of uv laquer making it a bigger looking repair?

If you're selling it, you will have to show the area with the "patch", which means less value. Putting decals onto it will take away the originality of the item, again devalueing it. Trying to blend in a spray-can with original will not work unless you are 100% experienced in paint work.

Unfortunately those that have no painting/spraying experience think that the process is fairly simple.....which it is if you know what you're doing. Us painters can spot a dodgy job at a 100 paces, and a good painter will not advise anyone to do a cheap job. "Overkill", it is not......the way I described is the way a painter would do it, which I believe is what you asked for in the original post.

If you have filler that requires priming, and you use cans, then the primer will "sink" into the filler scratches.....and subsequently the top-coats. It may look ok for a few days untill the sinking starts, then it looks crap. Plus can paint dulls after a short period. Trying to blend-out edges with a can just will not work, it takes expertise in a spray shop with correct materials to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

If you want to sell it, sell it as it is - pretty sure that 'collectors' will appreciate the look of it more than some amateurish repair job

Would be interesting to see how much you'd fetch for it, keep us posted.

FiSe wrote: »
    If you want to sell it, sell it as it is - pretty sure that 'collectors' will appreciate the look of it more than some amateurish repair job

Would be interesting to see how much you'd fetch for it, keep us posted.
    i certainly will .

• Advertisement

Iv sold the helmet to a sports bar for 45 euro over what i paid for it .im mounting it for him and il probably pick up some more work there ..so all in all a good result id say

I hear Dulux magnolia emulsion has exactly the finish that this helmet deserves. You should also drink a pint of it yourself.

'cptr
    May i ask is this ok ? Do boards.ie think i deserve this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Iv sold the helmet to a sports bar for 45 euro over what i paid for it .im mounting it for him and il probably pick up some more work there ..so all in all a good result id say

Do you mind if I ask how much you bought it for/how much you sold it for?

What kind of repair job did you do before you sold it?

-Chris- wrote: »

Its all in the thread chris .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The only thing that we know from the thread is the repairs that you wanted to do to the helmet.

We don't know how much you paid for it, or how much you sold it for, or how much you spent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I don't think it is. And I asked a respectful question and would hope you'd show the same respect rather than fobbing me off like that.
    Right here you said you'd keep people updated.
    I'll re-ask the question, if that's ok, and build on P.C's post above...

You wanted to repair the helmet so you could resell it. You asked for advice on the best way to do it.
    You had an idea in mind as to how much you could get for it, and how you might repair the helmet yourself.

You've now successfully sold the helmet, and will be giving a hand to mount it also. You'll also get some more work out of that customer.

For the information of future posters who may have similar queries, I was curious as to what the eventual result was.

You were afraid of using spray cans because of the solvents. You were also worried about the spray affecting the UV laqueur. You were going to put decals over the area. Others were advising you against this.

- What did you eventually go for? How successful was it? How long did it take you?

You thought it was a collectible item. Others disagreed on the value of it. You and others had figures with regard to RRPs. You've now sold it for €45 more than you paid for it.

-How much did you pay for it (did you buy it new for STG£650 like you were saying it cost), or how much did you sell it for - i.e. what's the value of a repaired collectible helmet of this style at the moment?

Thanks

I don't think it is. And I asked a respectful question and would hope you'd show the same respect rather than fobbing me off like that.

You wanted to repair the helmet so you could resell it. You asked for advice on the best way to do it.
    You had an idea in mind as to how much you could get for it, and how you might repair the helmet yourself.

You've now successfully sold the helmet, and will be giving a hand to mount it also. You'll also get some more work out of that customer.

For the information of future posters who may have similar queries, I was curious as to what the eventual result was.

You were afraid of using spray cans because of the solvents. You were also worried about the spray affecting the UV laqueur. You were going to put decals over the area. Others were advising you against this.

- What did you eventually go for? How successful was it? How long did it take you?

You thought it was a collectible item. Others disagreed on the value of it. You and others had figures with regard to RRPs. You've now sold it for €45 more than you paid for it.

-How much did you pay for it (did you buy it new for STG£650 like you were saying it cost), or how much did you sell it for - i.e. what's the value of a repaired collectible helmet of this style at the moment?

Thanks

Thanks Chris

You have asked the questions that I wanted aswers to.

Thanks
    I apologise if you tought i was being rude but ... I did say i was hoping to sell it for 350 euro as one had sold recently for 400 euro. I never implied that i paid 650 sterling, tiggers link pointed out that that was the value new thus proving the monster logo was valuable and desirable.
    I sold it for a prophit of 45 euro including whatever i decide to charge for mounting it.i did not say i was giving a hand to mount it.he is also giving me extra work mounting flat screen tvs and other sportiing items he has bought.
    I said i filled it with a painters filler .i said i was not going to spray it and i said i could mount it at an angle to hide the repair.and im mounting it at an angle as previously discussed..

P.C. wrote: »

The only thing that we know from the thread is the repairs that you wanted to do to the helmet.

We don't know how much you paid for it, or how much you sold it for, or how much you spent on it.
    Furtermore i never said how much i paid for it nor have i any desire to tell you or anybody else as thats my business the same as it my business how much il charge for mounting it and what i ate for breakfast .i really fail to see what all this has to do with asking a spray painter about ultra voilet laquer

So to moderators and members alike i respectfully ask you to stick to topic which is about ultra voilet laquer spray paint..or leave my post alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I don't think you understand what goes on on boards.ie. It's a free forum for people to connect and have a chat about shared interests. You came here looking for free advice (with a poorly phrased OP) and got it. Now you are getting all high and mighty about your "private business."

Maybe you should find somewhere else to get your information from, because I doubt many more people will want to help you on here. A bit of give and take and common decency would go a long way. Your attitude, right from the get-go, was never going to do you any favours. Instead of simply informing people that it was a collector's helmet and telling people you can make money from such endeavours, you forced it down posters' throats and were generally abrasive about the whole affair.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

i certainly will .

Except you now refuse to keep us posted on what it fetched as suddenly this is 'private business'. Early in this thread you were quite happy to throw all kinds of pricings around. As mentioned, you really don't get how badly your attitude comes across.

Oryx wrote: »
    i certainly will .

Except you now refuse to keep us posted on what it fetched as suddenly this is 'private business'. Early in this thread you were quite happy to throw all kinds of pricings around. As mentioned, you really don't get how badly your attitude comes across.

I was asking for 350 and made 45 prophit .if u read it ul see iv said this numerous times

i certainly will .

I was asking for 350 and made 45 prophit .if u read it ul see iv said this numerous times

masseyno9 wrote: »
    I don't think you understand what goes on on boards.ie. It's a free forum for people to connect and have a chat about shared interests. You came here looking for free advice (with a poorly phrased OP) and got it. Now you are getting all high and mighty about your "private business."

Maybe you should find somewhere else to get your information from, because I doubt many more people will want to help you on here. A bit of give and take and common decency would go a long way. Your attitude, right from the get-go, was never going to do you any favours. Instead of simply informing people that it was a collector's helmet and telling people you can make money from such endeavours, you forced it down posters' throats and were generally abrasive about the whole affair.

QFT

I was trying to find a way to say what you said, but you got there first.

Maybe you could find somewhere else to go .ur reply is off topic.your opinion is not constructive and your reply has been of no help at all .i mean no disrespect to yourself but il not reply to such petty comments anymore

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So you got 350 for it?

So you got 350 for it?
    Yes oryx

Maybe you could find somewhere else to go .ur reply is off topic.your opinion is not constructive and your reply has been of no help at all .i mean no disrespect to yourself but il not reply to such petty comments anymore

DISRESPECTFULL POSTS SUCH AS THIS ARE NOT APPRECIATED.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT LIKE SOMEONES OPINION DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN HAVE A MOAN ABOUT IT.

IF THIS CARRIES ON, I WILL CLOSE/DELETE THIS THREAD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I'm not going to take it personally, but I think it's clear that my point has just been proven. My post could have been quite helpful to you, and I alluded to the fact that a simple post saying "sorry, we got off on the wrong foot - here's the answers and thanks for the free advice" would have sufficed in making amends and clearing up any confusion. Rather than your quite cryptic and self-righteous replies.

No matter where I go for advice, I am always aware what I am asking of people. Whether it be mechanical, spray-painting, or anything else I may be interested in, I will always be asking people (who have likely spent a great deal of time reading/learning/studying/practicing) to share some information and take time to sit down and type it out for my benefit. That's what makes places like boards.ie so successful. Like I said it's about give and take. You seemed to have more of a "snatch and grab" approach to the information.

On another note, I would have been quite interested to read a bit about collector/display helmets, as I'm sure other posters would have been. But I think the opportunity for any sort of informative discussion has long since passed.

Mods - I know you've dealt with the quoted comment already, and I apologise, but I've had my say now and I'm finished with this.

I'm not going to take it personally, but I think it's clear that my point has just been proven. My post could have been quite helpful to you, and I alluded to the fact that a simple post saying "sorry, we got off on the wrong foot - here's the answers and thanks for the free advice" would have sufficed in making amends and clearing up any confusion. Rather than your quite cryptic and self-righteous replies.

No matter where I go for advice, I am always aware what I am asking of people. Whether it be mechanical, spray-painting, or anything else I may be interested in, I will always be asking people (who have likely spent a great deal of time reading/learning/studying/practicing) to share some information and take time to sit down and type it out for my benefit. That's what makes places like boards.ie so successful. Like I said it's about give and take. You seemed to have more of a "snatch and grab" approach to the information.

On another note, I would have been quite interested to read a bit about collector/display helmets, as I'm sure other posters would have been. But I think the opportunity for any sort of informative discussion has long since passed.

Mods - I know you've dealt with the quoted comment already, and I apologise, but I've had my say now and I'm finished with this.
    Sorry we got off on the wrong foot.thanks for advising me

P.C. wrote: »

DISRESPECTFULL POSTS SUCH AS THIS ARE NOT APPRECIATED.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT LIKE SOMEONES OPINION DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN HAVE A MOAN ABOUT IT.

IF THIS CARRIES ON, I WILL CLOSE/DELETE THIS THREAD.
    I have been called mentally chalanged .iv been told to go kill myself ..iv asked for moderators advice n help and you do a big mouthy reply when i challenge someone. Do u feel like a big man?.. i feel sorry for u

I have been called mentally chalanged .iv been told to go kill myself ..iv asked for moderators advice n help and you do a big mouthy reply when i challenge someone. Do u feel like a big man?.. i feel sorry for u

Don't feel sorry for me.

Enjoy your week off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement