Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 starter refund

Options
  • 20-12-2011 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

hey all i just heard that you can get a refund of pre installed windows on laptops ect .
    i got an asus eee pc 1011px off pixmania and im putting ubuntu 11.10 on it. anybody know how to go about this
    it has windows 7 starter pre installed

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I wouldn't bet the farm on it, tbh. Such refunds have usually been from the OEM in question, and given how Microsoft threw their weight around when netbooks started to sell well I don't imagine many companies can be arsed with the aggravation of processing the refunds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC you need to document it well, like videoing the rejection etc.

IIRC2 Dell and someothers have a note that you can't return the OS separately ie. you have to hand back the whole pc or not at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

If you plan to resell the laptop at any stage it would be worth more with the original license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

so is there any way to do this ... would there be something in the box (havent open the box yet...)
    it just seams quite pointless paying for windows when i will never use it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I would imagine the value of an OEM licence of Windows 7 Starter wouldn't be worth that much. Think of it as buying a car with a stock stereo inside that you're going to replace straight away with a top of the line model. I don't think the car manufacturer would give you the cost of the bog standard one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Yakuza wrote: »
    I would imagine the value of an OEM licence of Windows 7 Starter wouldn't be worth that much. Think of it as buying a car with a stock stereo inside that you're going to replace straight away with a top of the line model. I don't think the car manufacturer would give you the cost of the bog standard one back.
    but i could sell the old stero in the car , i cant sell my windows 7 starter , i would be more than happy to try and sell it ,but i cant !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

This is a non runner
    Just install ubuntu on it and forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

bpb101 wrote: »
    but i could sell the old stero in the car , i cant sell my windows 7 starter , i would be more than happy to try and sell it ,but i cant !!!

I agree, my analogy wasn't the best, I was more going for the point that it would be more trouble than it's worth to try and get a refund for it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

bpb101 wrote: »

According to this article Asus have been preinstalling Ubuntu on some of their EeePCs, including the 1011PX.

It would be worth asking them about it but they're likely to tell you to return the whole thing and buy the Ubuntu-preinstalled version. There's still no guarantee that you'd actually save any money by buying the Ubuntu version over the Windows version.

Advertisement