Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 2 milk

Options
  • 20-12-2011 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    might seem like a silly question but was just wondering how you know when to put the baby onto stage 2 milk, for 6 months+. Do u just do it when baby is 6 months or what? He is 6months 2wks now. On solids the last 4 weeks.
    Thanks.
    Btw its cow and gate that he is in now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

qwertytlk stage 2 milk is a marketing gimmick and is only sold in countries where the advertisement of formula for babies under 6 months is illegal. He'll be gradually increasing solids from now on so he will get nutrients from food too. Buy it if you want but he doesn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Well all i can say is we changed onto the stage 2 @ about 5 months as it held him for longer during the night ;) we managed to get an extra couple of hours sleep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

qwertytlk wrote: »
    Hi,
    might seem like a silly question but was just wondering how you know when to put the baby onto stage 2 milk, for 6 months+. Do u just do it when baby is 6 months or what? He is 6months 2wks now. On solids the last 4 weeks.
    Thanks.
    Btw its cow and gate that he is in now.

Isn't stage 2 the hungrier baby formula? I had my little fella on stage 2 from about 3-4 weeks. Stage 3 is the 6 months plus, I changed him to stage three just after he was 6 months (soon as the last stage 2 tub was gone) and found no difference at all with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The follow-on milk products are the ones I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My lady is just gone 1 year and is still on stage formula. We will start introducing her to cows milk in her bottles now soon. I never bothered with the follow on milks, I have heard they are very sweet. PHN and GP both said not to bother with the follow on and just to switch to ordinary milk after 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

We have started the same, little one turned one last month and is now on two bottles of warmed cows milk during the day (morning and afternoon) and he bottle before bed is still the formula, only because we have it left. But as soon as its finished it will be all cows milk.

As said before, its a way for the company to advertise for 6mts+.

The only other application for the follow-on milk would be where your little one is not getting sufficient nutrients through solid food, but best to talk to the PHN or GP first.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Lola92 wrote: »
    My lady is just gone 1 year and is still on stage formula. We will start introducing her to cows milk in her bottles now soon. I never bothered with the follow on milks, I have heard they are very sweet. PHN and GP both said not to bother with the follow on and just to switch to ordinary milk after 12 months.

What did you give your daughter between 6-12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Lola18 wrote: »
    Isn't stage 2 the hungrier baby formula? I had my little fella on stage 2 from about 3-4 weeks. Stage 3 is the 6 months plus, I changed him to stage three just after he was 6 months (soon as the last stage 2 tub was gone) and found no difference at all with him.

This is exactly what I did, stage 2 aptimal from 4 weeks and stage 3 at 6 months! The stage 3 was €1.60 cheaper per tin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Stage 3 milks are primarily used for advertising.. Stage one is infant formula and stage 2 is hungrier infant formula. (from birth)
    companies are not allowed to advertise their products for under six months hence the development of stage 3 to get around this rule.
    You can feed them the stage one or two until 12 months if they are satisfied with it..and then wean to cows milk after 12 month.. ;)
    My youngest lad is 10weeks.. he has stage one milk through the day and a stage 2 last feed at night.. gets me about 6 hours sleep :pac: yay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

What did you give your daughter between 6-12 months?

Regular first infant milk - the Cow and Gate stage 1 formula. As said above the follow on milks were only invented to get around the marketing ban of breast milk replacements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I ve just switched my ten month old from formula to cows milk. Advised by the heath nurse to do it , My 3 yo was on formula till he was 2 and I moved my 2 yo to cows milk at 1yr.

Tbh I havent seen anything to keep my youngest on formula after the first two. Formula for 1yr plus is just a racket imo.

Advertisement