Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadlift form

• 20-12-2011 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have an issue with my deadlifting. when over about 80% of my max, or at the end of a heavy set, my form breaks down. After i've set up, as i pull, my arse lifts before the weight leaves the ground and I end up sort of stiff-legging the rep. I've tried to fix it myself with some mental cues and tweaks of my technique but to no avail.

Any suggestions? I know the deadlift is something that's much easier to teach in person, but sher. I can providez videoz.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

-the weight's too heavy
    -your hamstrings are too weak
    -your tekkers ain't great
    -that's just the way you pull best

Delete as applicable!! I'd bet one of them is the issue tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm going to scratch my head and then shout "glute ham raises" because they can't do any harm.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

and fish oils?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Throw up some vids will ya...

and take some fish oils...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Hanley wrote: »
    -the weight's too heavy
    but i still manage to lift it... if so then this is essentially the same as the 4th point below right? i've a video of 180kg here, i pulled 190kg after but didn't record it.
    -your hamstrings are too weak
    mebbeh.
    -your tekkers ain't great
    well that's true
    -that's just the way you pull best
    that might be it - but would changing it possibly help me lift more?

and fish oils... rly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Hello all.

I have an issue with my deadlifting. when over about 80% of my max, or at the end of a heavy set, my form breaks down. After i've set up, as i pull, my arse lifts before the weight leaves the ground and I end up sort of stiff-legging the rep. I've tried to fix it myself with some mental cues and tweaks of my technique but to no avail.

Any suggestions? I know the deadlift is something that's much easier to teach in person, but sher. I can providez videoz.

I like to think of it as less of an issue and more of an uniqueness. People are always jealous of my unique deadlifting:p:p

If you need any tips on how to express yourself uniquely whilst deadlifting..I'm your number one port of call:D

Parsley wrote: »
    but i still manage to lift it... if so then this is essentially the same as the 4th point below right? i've a video of 180kg here, i pulled 190kg after but didn't record it.

mebbeh.

well that's true

and fish oils... rly?

Is that the bad one or the good one? What do you think is wrong with your form?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

mebbeh.

well that's true

and fish oils... rly?

Problem no.1 is that your t-shirt says "come at me bro" . Fix that ;)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Is that the bad one or the good one? What do you think is wrong with your form?

when i pull, my arse comes up before the bar goes anywhere. i was under the impression that for good deadlift form, the bar, shoulders and arse should all come up together... which I can't seem to manage.

when i pull, my arse comes up before the bar goes anywhere. i was under the impression that for good deadlift form, the bar, shoulders and arse should all come up together... which I can't seem to manage.
    Okay yeah. So what I was thinking was that you basically lift twice in this vid. You quarter squat the bar to a point and then your back takes over for the last portion of the lift. Do you have a vid of a lighter weight? Usually this is a hamstring issue but it could be... ahem... tekkers.

• Advertisement

Problem 1) You're soft as hell - no effort to load your hamstrings and set your back before initiating the pull

Problem 2) You might just be starting with your hips too low - it's a pull, not a squat

I'd say tekkers is the primary issue at play. Though your hamstring strength could never get TOO strong. Or your teckneique too good for that matter.

That's a clean pull you're thinking of. A deadlift won't always look the same.

Check out some of the bigger pullers and look at their hip position when they start the pull. Leg length etc will effect it from individual to individual, but they generally start with their hips relatively high.

Here's 140kg from the same session.

So, Hanley, you're saying i could change my starting position with the hips a bit higher and more tension in the hamstrings?

Here's 140kg from the same session.

So, Hanley, you're saying i could change my starting position with the hips a bit higher and more tension in the hamstrings?

It'd be my first port of call anyway. You can get away with things on reps and lighter weight that'll start to hurt when it gets heavier.

Gymfreaks problem is similar to yours but far more extreme.

Hanley wrote: »
    It'd be my first port of call anyway. You can get away with things on reps and lighter weight that'll start to hurt when it gets heavier.

Gymfreaks problem is similar to yours but far more extreme.

cheers. i'll try that anyway next deadlift session and take some more videos.

then you can help fix my my shoulder :pac:

Advertisement