Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

These dark mornings

• 20-12-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, now that we are almost at the shortest day of the year how folk feel about the (possibly) proposed move to Central European Time,

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0326/1224293121730.html

Would the extra hour of light in the evenings compensate for the fact that it wouldn't get bright till well after 9AM? Personally I'd be in favour of at least doing a decent trial run to see how it goes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Definitely would not be in favour of it - as I do some jobs in the morning, which I need daylight for.
    If it did change it would mean being an hour late for work... Not sure that would go down well :eek: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

would prefer the xtra hour in the evening i think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon it's a good idea. Main reason is in Spring time(late feb march) at 6ish in the morning it's bright when most of us are still in bed, and it's bloody dark around 6.30-7 pm.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I wouldn't like it either, keep things as they are IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I would be in favour of it. Anyone notice yesterday evening and this evening that it stayed brighter for longer and it is more like spring? Even though tomorrow is the shortest day of the year. Maybe it is the milder weather over the last few days that is causing the illusion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I would be in favour of it. Anyone notice yesterday evening and this evening that it stayed brighter for longer and it is more like spring? Even though tomorrow is the shortest day of the year. Maybe it is the milder weather over the last few days that is causing the illusion :)
    I thought today was awful dark. It was dark at 4pm when I was cleaning out my shed. Can't wait until end of January when we'll start to see a bit of length to the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

KatyMac wrote: »
    I thought today was awful dark. It was dark at 4pm when I was cleaning out my shed. Can't wait until end of January when we'll start to see a bit of length to the evenings.
    4pm :eek: what part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Same here, getting well dark at 4. Spent time in Northern Sweden, thank fup we don't have to put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

i am a big fan of summer time find the nights an eternity at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

sunset today-4.15pm here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I dunno, I think you need both.

Summer evenings to be outside doing jobs, winter evenings in the shed fixing all those things that got left behind during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

These long nights are great for out lamping the red fellas, can be early out, and early home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Odelay wrote: »
    Same here, getting well dark at 4. Spent time in Northern Sweden, thank fup we don't have to put up with that.
    It was dusk in Cork today at 4.30pm, it didn't get fully dark until 5.10pm. What part of the country are you in that it gets well dark at 4pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Sam Kade wrote: »
    It was dusk in Cork today at 4.30pm, it didn't get fully dark until 5.10pm. What part of the country are you in that it gets well dark at 4pm?

well up on the northern most tip of Ireland, it has been near dark at 4pm all week, especially with low lying rain cloud

not bright until near 9 in mornings

Hard to thin only 300 miles would make that much of a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

kboc wrote: »
    well up on the northern most tip of Ireland, it has been near dark at 4pm all week, especially with low lying rain cloud

not bright until near 9 in mornings

Hard to thin only 300 miles would make that much of a difference

Malin Head

Sunrise 8.55AM, Sunset 16.01PM

Mizzen Head

Sunrise 8.43AM, Sunset 16.33PM

There's a fair difference there, didn't think it would be as much as that.

OT: If anyone wants to easily find the sunrise and sunset (moon too) time and direction for any location check out The Photographers Ephemeris, it's a free piece of software which lets you exactly that on a google maps interface, as the fella said a quare name but great stuff.:D

Advertisement