Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUSINESS ADVICE PLEASE

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have recently returned from australia and working in management over there I have come back with some disposable cash.

My brother has informed me that he has opened up his own shop that has an empty basement with access from the street it is 1000 square foot and included in my brothers rent.

What im asking is for advice on exactly is trending in Ireland a the moment.would it be worth taking this on as a project.or if there are trending services that are required in the current climate.

Are there websites that you can visit that advertise new product comming to the market or are offering business plans for sale.

if you have any advice please comment or even pm me.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Hi OP -

what's your background, where is the location, is there much footfall, any parking, what is your brothers business ?

1000 sq ft is a large area - what type of space is it ? cool / funky / cold / office like ?

maybe we'll be able to throw a few ideas your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Hi Thank you for your reply,

My back ground is in management I have 5 years in Retail and one year in the mining industries as an operations manager.

My brother has opened a pet shop upstairs plus a dog grooming area at the back of his shop upstairs.

The basement downstairs is carpeted with whitewashed walls toilet area but old fashioned as a whole.Would need to be re painted and slight maintenance work whick I could cover with in my own family as my brothers and uncles are painters carpenters and sparky.

I was thinking of turning it into office place of work and to offer a service from the location.....i.e there are expected 45000 people to emigrate and im trying to brainstorm on how to provide a service that will be required...along those lines .....I am back in the country a week so it is in the earliest part of development ie....storming norming and forming ideas ...if you have any ideas and possible a business partner opportuinity please pm me and we have a chat

In the limerick city area ...there are chemists banks and removals in the location of business

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

what is the market/appetite like in Limerick for Hot Desk / shared casual office / meeting room facilities ?

You kit it out and rent to individuals / small groups who might like to work somewhere in a more inclusive type of work area rather than working from home. You provide Power / Internet / desks etc and they pay per 1/2 day etc.

have a look at this place :

http://www.amworks.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Renting office space could be a great idea - research the market and see if there is anything like that nearby - probably not.

You could also set up an advisory clinic advising people heading out to Australia on jobs, accommodation, rent, insurance, travel etc, etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

What about connecting people with employers in Oz, with your recent experience and contacts in Australia?

You could get paid by employers in Audtralia to recruit employees here, I am not sure what employers pay in Australia but in Ireland employers used to pay 10 to 20% of the first year's salary when the Celtic Tiger was roaring...I am not sure if employers in Australia would pay you to get pre-vetted employees over there.

For someone goingto Australia, they might be willing to pay you for your time and advice. I know I would pay a few quid for tips if I was heading to Australia, and wanted to get the 'lowdown' from someone who had been there very recently - you. Say Euros30 to 50 for the lowdown would be a good trade for you and for the person asking the questions for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

similar to above, what about offering relocation services to oz? help them with visas/flights/ find jobs/housing/pps numbers/setting up bank accounts all the million things that must be done if they're moving?
    it seems every man and his dog want to head out to Australia/new zealand these days. be tradesmen or graduates, might be worth thinking about?

Definitely could set up some sort of 'relocation consultancy' and given the times would be ridiculously easy to market the services and get known. You could charge a fixed amount per hour or do a two hour package where you go over all the questions they have.

It's what I'd be doing anyway if I were you!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Yea there actually really good ideas problem is how would I go about partnering with banks and employers ..I presume there would be alot of red tape involved.And currently Visa first offer this as a package deal.

I would be well able to do it as I have the know how of over there but how would you exactly start up.
    Regards:
    VISA
    RENT
    BANK ACCOUNT
    INSURANCE
    WORK
    WHITE CARDS

Could Ijust ring theses companies and offer to bring business to them in return for there partnership??

If you have any delicate info on this Please pm me

Conmc88 wrote: »
    Yea there actually really good ideas problem is how would I go about partnering with banks and employers ..I presume there would be alot of red tape involved.And currently Visa first offer this as a package deal.

I would be well able to do it as I have the know how of over there but how would you exactly start up.
    Regards:
    VISA
    RENT
    BANK ACCOUNT
    INSURANCE
    WORK
    WHITE CARDS

Could Ijust ring theses companies and offer to bring business to them in return for there partnership??

If you have any delicate info on this Please pm me

I think you might be misunderstanding what we're suggesting :)

We're saying why not kit the space out to be somewhat respectable, set up a nice office and promote your services as someone who can offer impartial, non-legally binding advice and tips on life in Australia and making the move there. Sort of like a drop-in shop to pick up tips and contacts.

Advertisement