Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness and training for surfing?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I'm wondering what other people here do to keep fit for surfing and do they have specific exercises that are surfing specific.

I constantly run out of steam when I'm paddling and end up with rubber band arms after an hour or so. Doing press ups for a couple of months before I went to Ericiera last summer really helped but I'm sure there has to be something more specific.

I know getting in the water more would help but sometimes thats not possible! I've seen vids of people using resistance bands to help with core strength and will probably try those.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

Taylor Knox is 40 and still on the asp world tour - he is big into fitness - has a dvd www.surfexercises.com. I haven't watched it but could be a good place to start.

Swimming would help a lot also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I hear resistance bands are good, I haven't tried them though. I just have a set of dumbbells I use every couple of days.

Look up some upper body exercises and see what you like. Do exercises for your core and lower body(legs) as well, don't focus on just the one area.

I would name the exercises but I don't actually know all the names :p

Squats would be a good overall place to start. Another one is called the row I think.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Started doing Yoga this year, very good for core and flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i do a lot of swimming, not just leisure stuff, I compete regularly in swim races and triathlons. what ive found is a very strong link between swim and surf fitness. if it's pumping i;d substitute a swim session with a surf, not exactly the same but close enough. if i've got a lot of surfing in over the course of a few weeks my swim times drop. i know a lot of other surfers that will do swim sessions when it's flat or too messy.

i think for a lot of less experienced male surfers, the issue isn't really strength but fitness, especially in the kind of messy beach breaks often frequented. sure some shoulder and back strength needed for the pop up but that's not beyond the means of most males. swimming will make you stronger on the shoulders and back where it's needed

i've tried indo boards in the past, didn't feel it made much difference to my surfing, maybe it did and i didn't really notice it.

best way is to just get out there, especially on a messy winters day! that's the kind of fitness that just cannot be replicated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

You're bang on Promethius, I do pretty much the same. Its by far the best way to keep up your fitness when you can't get out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I read before about guys going out when its flat with a small bucket with a few holes in it attached to the ankle strap on the leash. Simulates the resistance from rips and currents you have to paddle against. No better cardio than running and swimming. resistance bands are good too but very boring.

Yoga is good for keeping you quick and nimble not so much for the fitness though.
    http://www.5min.com/Video/Introduction-to-Yoga-for-Surfers-33203523

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭blueskys

I find cycling, swimming and yoga great compliments to surfing,
    yoga and cycling both good for core and lower body strength/flexibility.
    Also helpful to substitute backstroke for crawl sometimes while swimming to emphasize opposing muscles used and stretch chest/shoulders, as many swimmers/surfers suffer from tight shoulders and overdeveloped back muscles which tighten up front chest/shoulder muscles.
    A great drill for core work and to replicate paddling is to swim with head up out of water looking forward for say 25m at a time, combined with ordinary crawl.
    Also helpful to put a kick buoy between your ankles (not your thighs) as the core is forced to work a lot more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll just have to get out there more and get paddling. As you said, there's probably no substitute for it!

With any luck santa might bring a couple of surfing dvds which will detail some exercises!

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll just have to get out there more and get paddling. As you said, there's probably no substitute for it!

With any luck santa might bring a couple of surfing dvds which will detail some exercises!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 linnanea

Jesus, that sounds about as exciting as getting a dvd of ryan giggs detailing how to take a corner. Best training is to surf once a week at least - don't mind this replacement training shyte. And lay off the pudding at Christmas. :P
    dermo909 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'm a lazy arse so don't pay much heed to this, if you can't get out surfing then the next best things it go to the pool and the odd gym session. Swimming does two things, it builds your arms, shoulders and over all fitness but it also gives you the confidence to know that if you snap a leash you can swim in, and you don't have to be out in big waves to break a leash they have a habit of breaking in small surf as well. Any I've broken happened in head high and below.

Then in the gym a rowing machine is great but get the instructor to show you how to use it properly 90% of people don't use them the right way.

linnanea wrote: »
    Best training is to surf once a week at least - don't mind this replacement training shyte.

Sounds like a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Have a kid, keeps you fit and healthy:D

rodento wrote: »

but puts an end to your surfing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rodento wrote: »
    Buy a dog, keeps you fit and healthy and apparently it gives you a few more years surfing

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Buy a dog, keeps you fit and healthy and apparently it gives you a few more years surfing

Its true, a dog will also think you're great no matter what, unlike a woman or child (he said bitterly)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Its true, a dog will also think you're great no matter what, unlike a woman or child (he said bitterly)

difference between a dog and a wife is the later you come home, the happier the dog is to see you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

Boxing training. Gives you explosive power which is exactly what you need. Again any swimming, running, cardio will give you the fitness needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I've been fooling around with some dry land surfing exercises.

One for paddling.

Lie flat on your belly on the ground (head up like your paddling). tin of beans in each hand. Pump out alternate hands away from your head & back again. Use full extension. Alternate days of endurance/speed pumping.
    If you're just a rock hard b@stard use a couple 'super' tins of beans lol

Pop-up

Grab you board and throw it on a 65cm gym ball, which aldi or lidl are selling this week arent they for a fiver? Practice your popups.
    Or else just stand on the board on the ball if you can. Try different moves on the board/ball

If you're stuck for space just use a smaller plank on the ball.

Triathalon training
    Learn to swim properly - proper breathing, bilateral etc - might save your life someday.

Disclaimer: Any/all of the above could/are be crap.

Over the christmas peroid I've been doing alot of push ups and only got into the water last weekend after 3 weeks off(storms, christmas etc) I noticed that I was alot stronger in the water. My paddle strokes were much more powerful and I was able to recover quicker after paddling out back.

Fitness is'nt a problem for me, just the rubber band arms.

Seems the push ups are working for me so I think I'll keep on doing them. They're easy to do as well, just drop and do 20 when the mood strikes you!

Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement