Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDR3 Ideal Setup for Core2duo

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi
    Quick Question, I have a currently a core2duo , with 4gb of DDR3, 2*2. I am looking to expand this to 8 (the max). Is it better to have 2*4gb or a 4*2gb setup. There are only 4 slots.

I've read that if you have the 4 slots full this can overload the memory controller, causing it to throttle back things. Meaning a decrease in performance.

On the otherhand, if the Mobo supports interlacing/interweaving(not sure which one it is) it means quicker speeds.

Could anyone advise me on this
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

Hi Could a mod move this to building and upgrading. I intended to post it there

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You're better off with 2x4GB (assuming your motherboard can support 4GB DIMMs). If you have all your slots populated, this puts more strain on the memory controller. Not really a big issue if you're not overclocking though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Might as well save a few quid and get another 2x2 gb since you are limited to 8gb anyway. Any half decent motherboard shout be able to run 4 sticks at the speeds it supports, can't push them as hard overclocking but that's about it.

In terms of real world performance the difference is not even worth thinking about.

Advertisement